When to start the process?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Bloomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to start the process?

Hi,

Me and my partner (soon to be husband) are thinking about emigrating to Ontario in approx 2.5 years. I am currently studying and would like to complete the study as it helps with the scoring within education. We would apply under the skilled worker class and I am definitely listed in category A. Partner - a little unsure if his role would be in O, A or B category. Have done the self assessment test and score in the mid 70s.

We have family in Canada - my partner's sister has lived in canada for 19 years, is married with 2 children. We also have 2 young children.

My partner's sister has told us to start applying now, but I need to finish at least 2 years of my study and I don't want things to happen too quickly so we are not prepared.

Any advice on when we should start to apply would be helpful and is our first step by going to an approved immigration consultant?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:23 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to start the process?

Are either of you on the list of 38 occupations? (just double checking!)
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Yes, I am. Partner is probably, but not sure if his role will count as supervisor - will need to check the detail further.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bloomer
Hi,

Me and my partner (soon to be husband) are thinking about emigrating to Ontario in approx 2.5 years. I am currently studying and would like to complete the study as it helps with the scoring within education. We would apply under the skilled worker class and I am definitely listed in category A. Partner - a little unsure if his role would be in O, A or B category. Have done the self assessment test and score in the mid 70s.

We have family in Canada - my partner's sister has lived in canada for 19 years, is married with 2 children. We also have 2 young children.

My partner's sister has told us to start applying now, but I need to finish at least 2 years of my study and I don't want things to happen too quickly so we are not prepared.

Any advice on when we should start to apply would be helpful and is our first step by going to an approved immigration consultant?

Thanks
If your score is in the mid 70s, do you really need to complete your course? You only need 67 points and don't get anything extra for having more.

If you are confident that you have at least 67 points and are on the List of 38occupations, then I would absolutely definitely say apply now rather than wait.

If you apply now, the process will take the best part of 12 months, and then you have almost a year to Land in Canada. After that you don't have to settle for up to three years, so there is no rush once you start the process. However, by delaying you run the risk that the rules will change and you won't be able to apply at all. The List of Occupations is supposed to be dynamic and will change from time to time. It won't change that often but given the current economic environment I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was amended in the next year or two to limit the number of immigrants.

I'm currently studying for a Masters, that would give me 5 extra points, but I chose to apply now rather than wait and risk missing the boat. I would recommend that you seriously think about doing the same.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
If your score is in the mid 70s, do you really need to complete your course? You only need 67 points and don't get anything extra for having more.

If you are confident that you have at least 67 points and are on the List of 38occupations, then I would absolutely definitely say apply now rather than wait.

If you apply now, the process will take the best part of 12 months, and then you have almost a year to Land in Canada. After that you don't have to settle for up to three years, so there is no rush once you start the process. However, by delaying you run the risk that the rules will change and you won't be able to apply at all. The List of Occupations is supposed to be dynamic and will change from time to time. It won't change that often but given the current economic environment I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was amended in the next year or two to limit the number of immigrants.

I'm currently studying for a Masters, that would give me 5 extra points, but I chose to apply now rather than wait and risk missing the boat. I would recommend that you seriously think about doing the same.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Hi Bloomer
I would certainly echo what Mark says about applying now as it's a 67 point pass rate at the moment but things could change at little or no notice . Hope things go well for you .
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:23 pm
Hello.

I agree too. Considering the application process and the time you would have to settle, now is a good time. I also think with the economic climate, although not as apparent in Canada, may mean more changes sooner rather than later to the immigration process. Also, with it being a global issue, I think application numbers will rise as the recession hits, with Canada being in one of the better situations around the world. If you have the points now...who knows about a years time?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I may have been misleading with the points. I took the scoring test as if I were to apply in 2.5 years which would have meant I would have the highest education points (Masters - providing I am successful!!!) and also 3 or more years in my current position at work. My apologies for the mis-leading info.

If I take the test now, I score 67 points but I am unsure if my previous position at work would also count as experience at management occupation and I have included this. I work in management in the NHS and have worked there for 14 years gradually working my way through the ranks. My last position (did this for 5 years) did not have management in the title, but I did work to a middle manager position and I know that a reference from my boss would support this, just not sure if it will count as 4 years or more experience.

Thanks for all your replies. Think I will look into the detail a little more.

Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:37 pm
Hello.

Job titles are less important, if the job description fits ok. Also, there is no benefit to having more than 67 points, apart from feeling safer about you application. It's a simple yes/no process.