Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When should I start applying for jobs?

When should I start applying for jobs?

Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all
Default When should I start applying for jobs?

Hi, we are submitting our PR application in July (2012) with a view to move (if all goes well!) in Feb 2014 at the earliest. I know it's too early now but when should I start applying for jobs?

Also, if I apply for a job before the decision on the PR is made, can I also go down the provincial nominee route (it would be to NS)?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has had a great Christmas!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When should I start applying for jobs?

Originally Posted by Niobii
Hi, we are submitting our PR application in July (2012) with a view to move (if all goes well!) in Feb 2014 at the earliest.
Under what stream will you be making the PR application? Federal Skilled Worker? Provincial Nominee? Family? TWP?

I know it's too early now but when should I start applying for jobs?
Well, most folk would say you need to be on the ground and networking in order to make progress but it really depends what your field is and what the demand for your skills is and where you intend to live.

Also, if I apply for a job before the decision on the PR is made, can I also go down the provincial nominee route (it would be to NS)?
Again, depends on how you make the initial application. IIRC, once you have a Federal application in the system, you are not eligible for a Provincial Nomination.

Last edited by AdrianR; Dec 30th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Under what stream will you be making the PR application? Federal Skilled Worker? Provincial Nominee? Family? TWP?

Sorry.....FSW without job offer.

Well, most folk would say you need to be on the ground and networking in order to make progress but it really depends what your field is and what the demand for your skills is and where you intend to live.

I'm doing lots of research and networking etc at the moment. My field could be a few things to be honest, research, environment, energy (nuclear), statistics (NOC 2121 or NOC 1122). Nova Scotia area.

Again, depends on how you make the initial application. IIRC, once you have a Federal application in the system, you are not eligible for a Provincial Nomination.
What does IIRC stand for?

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:55 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

What does IIRC stand for?

Thanks
Shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly"
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JGK
Shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly"
Thanks!
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

dontfencemein is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Depends on what your skillset it, if its in demand and will be in demand for a year or so, then you need to make a judgement call.

Cheers

Hi, we are submitting our PR application in July (2012) with a view to move (if all goes well!) in Feb 2014 at the earliest. I know it's too early now but when should I start applying for jobs?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has had a great Christmas!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dontfencemein
Hi,
Depends on what your skillset it, if its in demand and will be in demand for a year or so, then you need to make a judgement call.

Cheers
As far as I can tell environmental jobs are in demand in NS but with 2 years to go still it still feels too early, unless I'm lucky to find a company who want to wait that long!

Suppose ill just keep a look out for now.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:40 am
Just Joined

dontfencemein is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in touch as things move slowley, but no reason to think that there will be any less demand next year or the year after that.