Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When should I give my notice in at my job?

When should I give my notice in at my job?

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Underworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When should I give my notice in at my job?

I've just sent in my photos + passport -> Is it advisable to jack in my job now as I have 1 months notice to work? People say that it takes about up to 4 weeks. The sheet that came with the form advised not to but I dont want to be away from my girl.

I created a new thread for this as the old topic title was unrelated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:27 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When should I give my notice in at my job?

Whats the rush? You never know what might happen, I would wait till I got everything in hand myself.

When I gave notice after my work permit was finalised my employer was less than thrilled that I was coming to a job with a potential competitor, and marched me out of the door by lunchtime that same day.

Suited me...two weeks paid vacation as far as I was concerned.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Underworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Hehe awesome I bet you were really happy! Id love that situation.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Whats the rush? You never know what might happen, I would wait till I got everything in hand myself.

When I gave notice after my work permit was finalised my employer was less than thrilled that I was coming to a job with a potential competitor, and marched me out of the door by lunchtime that same day.

Suited me...two weeks paid vacation as far as I was concerned.
I have a totally different situation and haven't handed in my notice yet but felt that I needed to pre-warn my boss of my intentions to emigrate and my OH's job offer. He is absolutely gutted and has tried all sorts to try and persuade me to rethink. He even said that if I changed my mind he would ensure that I got a share in the company's profits and would even consider me becoming a director. Wow - I never expected that one.

When I told my OH is asked me if I still wanted to go. Nothing is gonna change my mind.

On the plus side, if we decide to come back to the uk he's told me he'll be extremely p****d off if he's not the first person I call. Ain't that nice.

So it's not all bad. I starting to reckon I'm gonna miss the job just a little bit but not the stress.

Iank - I see how you worked that to your advantage thou
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:42 am
Just Joined

poobar is an unknown quantity at this point

When we sent off for our passport stamp etc in London, we were told that it could take up to 8 weeks but should be back in 4 and to do nothing until we had them in our hands!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:46 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Hubbys boss head hunted him from the competitor, with the full knowledge that we where trying to move to Canada.

He did get a year and a half out of him before we moved, Hubby also told his boss that he would give his months notice as soon as he knew what dates we where flying out on give or take a week..

His boss was really supportive and has left the door open for Hubby, if ever he wishes to come back..

Only you will know how they will take it, some people will be happy for you but others wont, best of luck to you..

Sutherlands