Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When is a good time to apply for emmigration?

When is a good time to apply for emmigration?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Clode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really nice
Talking When is a good time to apply for emmigration?

My girlfriend and I are considering emmigrating to Canada in the next 3-5 years. I'm 35 years old, mid way through a degree in creative writing and building a resume working in the independent comic book scene. I also have 8 years experience as a manger in health & social care and will soon have an NVQ level 5 in this area.
Earlier today I was enticed by City Visas to begin my application now based on my age and the desirability of my two professions - writer & care manager. I was put off by the pushy nature of the need to pay the fees there and then as well as some sketchy reviews about the company. The advisor suggested the fact that I hadn't yet completed these 2 qualifications wasn't a problem and that there would be an 11-14 month turnaround for our visas and a 3 year window to use them.
My questions are basically, when is the best time for us to apply, and through whom? Many sites say external application agencies are a waster of time and money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is a good time to apply for emmigration?

as mentioned in your US post. Sit down with a cuppa and read the wiki to see what route and where you plan on living
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're eligible, then now is a good time, as things change so often in immigration that you need to grab the chance when you can. That said, from what you've said above, I can't see how you'd be eligible for any visa at the moment unless by any chance you've been a full-time self employed writer for at least 2 years out of the previous 5? But as you mention being a care home manager as well, I assume not.

As said above, start with the Wiki (and CIC website) to figure out your visa route, then if you need a job offer (most do to get a visa) read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki.

Shout with any questions once you've figured out the visa side of things.

Good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Clode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really niceClode9mm is just really nice

Thanks for all the help folks. From the research I've done, my qualification and experience in social care (along with my pending degree) suggests I'd be eligible for a skilled worker visa. My writing has thus far only generated a part time income. My care qualification is (in the UK) classed as very high. Would that help?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clode9mm
Thanks for all the help folks. From the research I've done, my qualification and experience in social care (along with my pending degree) suggests I'd be eligible for a skilled worker visa. My writing has thus far only generated a part time income. My care qualification is (in the UK) classed as very high. Would that help?
I can't see how you'd be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa at the moment, where you have seen that? Here is the official info on the program, would you come under either of these criteria? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

The 'occupation list' part of the program is currently paused until May, so it may be that your occupation is on it when it reopens then and you could apply without a job offer, but it would depend on your job. Healthcare Managers haven't been on 'the list' of eligible occupations for a few years now, so that may be an indication that they won't be again, but nobody really knows for sure.

Your qualification won't make any difference at all unless your job is on 'the list'. What does your partner do, it may be that her occupation may be more in demand?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:54 am
Just Joined

No, I wouldn't. My girlfriend does the same job and she's a musician, so I'm guessing a massive NO. it seems I've taken online assessments that have given me false hope. Oh welll, back to the drawing board.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Clode9mm
No, I wouldn't. My girlfriend does the same job and she's a musician, so I'm guessing a massive NO. it seems I've taken online assessments that have given me false hope. Oh welll, back to the drawing board.
She's not a musician that's been self-employed for at least 2 years out of the previous 5 by any chance?

Which province do you wish to go to, do you have any family in Canada? Would you consider finishing your degree in Canada?

There's always a way, but I just can't see how you'd qualify under the FSW program at the moment - do keep an eye on the new list when it's announced next month though in case your occupations are on it.

And failing that, it'll have to be a job offer, the Wiki has great info on how to go about finding one.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:02 am
Just Joined

She's not sadly, but we're both working on it. We're not quite ready to apply for anything just yet, but at least our potential hurdles and the avenues we need to go down are that much clearer now.
Many thanks for all the advice!