Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When do you have to state a Province ?

When do you have to state a Province ?

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do you have to state a Province ?

Hi there,
We are just about start our application for Permanent Residence.
It's our understanding (could be wrong) that you have to state which Province you intend to land in (move to) but can someone tell us, How far into the application process do you have to do this ?
Do you have to state the Province right at the beginning of the application process ?
We're pretty sure it will be Ontario now. Do you have to define an area smaller than a Province ?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:53 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you have to state a Province ?

Hi Jenny

Originally posted by jenny28
Hi there,
We are just about start our application for Permanent Residence.
It's our understanding (could be wrong) that you have to state which Province you intend to land in (move to) but can someone tell us, How far into the application process do you have to do this ?
Do you have to state the Province right at the beginning of the application process ?
We're pretty sure it will be Ontario now. Do you have to define an area smaller than a Province ?

Many thanks.
You have to state you intended destination, city and province up front. There is nothing to hold you to that once you land, other than a chosing Quebec.

PMM
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

That's interesting.
I was pretty sure that you had to state a Province but I wasn't aware that you had to be more specific than that.
When you say you have to state the City, do you mean the City you would fly into or the location (which may only be a town etc) that you intend to live in ?

What if during the application process you find a different area you prefer more ?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:36 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

The location you intend to live in - it is important in assessing your abilities to succeed in Canada.

That's interesting.
I was pretty sure that you had to state a Province but I wasn't aware that you had to be more specific than that.
When you say you have to state the City, do you mean the City you would fly into or the location (which may only be a town etc) that you intend to live in ?

What if during the application process you find a different area you prefer more ?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

So the location that you give could influence your chances of achieving Permanent Residence ?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point

So the location that you give could influence your chances of achieving Permanent Residence ?
its simple really... how would you decide where you want to live... what factors would you take into consideration? availibility of employment in your field, cost of living versus how much money you have and/or will be making... the local community and your own personal ties there such as family etc..

example, if you are a java programmer moving to toronto chances of you getting a job shortly after you land are less (i wont say slim because thats not true, regardless of how much people put down the it market), versus if you are an drilling technologist/geologist or skilled oil worker intending to move to a place like fort mcmurray in which case you could probably have a job even before you get there...

what cic is looking for is what are the chances of you successfully establishing yourself in canada once you get here... the whole point of skilled migration is for the migrants to become productive members of society (read: pay taxes)... not because we have a lot of empty wide open spaces and we want to fill it up....

Last edited by bighead; Jun 3rd 2004 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

It's interesting (and maybe a little concerning too) though that two people with equal qualifications etc could apply for Permanent Residence yet one could be turned down because he chose the wrong province and area to put on his/her application form.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:14 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Since Jenny likely is headed for Ontario, I wonder if it would be advantageous to state something a little more general like: the "Golden Horseshoe", rather than naming a specific city in Ontario?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's interesting (and maybe a little concerning too) though that two people with equal qualifications etc could apply for Permanent Residence yet one could be turned down because he chose the wrong province and area to put on his/her application form.
not really... the bottom line is adaptability... its sort of like selling ice cubes in a desert where you could end up making a lot of money versus selling ice cubes at the south pole where you will probably freeze to death...

you do have to keep in mind that not all skilled migrants decide where they want to live based on where they will most likely succeed... they usually base their decision on other factors (relatives or other family, friends, ethnic community, or just plain availability of kosher meat for example)... nothing wrong with that... there are a lot of people applying to migrate to toronto because their aunt uncle and three cousins are there... without really thinking through if their skills will place them at an advantage or disadvantage in their intended destination...

a person who has thought the whole migration process through will usually end up doing a lot of research on things like their future and prospects of success in a new place... whats wrong if a immigration officer wants to make sure? a boat salesman moving to regina just because his nephew lives there would definately be a concern... would also indicate the person has not really thought things through...
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:12 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bighead
not really... the bottom line is adaptability... its sort of like selling ice cubes in a desert where you could end up making a lot of money versus selling ice cubes at the south pole where you will probably freeze to death...

you do have to keep in mind that not all skilled migrants decide where they want to live based on where they will most likely succeed... they usually base their decision on other factors (relatives or other family, friends, ethnic community, or just plain availability of kosher meat for example)... nothing wrong with that... there are a lot of people applying to migrate to toronto because their aunt uncle and three cousins are there... without really thinking through if their skills will place them at an advantage or disadvantage in their intended destination...

a person who has thought the whole migration process through will usually end up doing a lot of research on things like their future and prospects of success in a new place... whats wrong if a immigration officer wants to make sure? a boat salesman moving to regina just because his nephew lives there would definately be a concern... would also indicate the person has not really thought things through...
Jenny's husband is an industrial electrician with experience working at a factory.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,
Stu here (Jens Husband). oceanMDX is right. At present I work in a Manufacturing Plant as an Electrician, fixing things when they break. It is through my job as an Electrician that we hope to achieve the necessary points etc to achieve PR.
Having said that, it may not be possible for me to start off as an Industrial Electrician over there until I become certified so until this I would be prepared to try any job available.

I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket by choosing a location that would be ideally suited for an Industrial Electrician, in case I struggle to find work on that field or to become certified.
Also, I might decide I fancy a change if career to go with my change on environment.
Because of this I have been looking at Kingston or maybe even Belleville. I think either of these two locations would be a good base to look for work in the surrounding area.
There is also hospitals in Kingston, which might benefit Jen given her qualifications.
Is it possible to classify this as an area or would I have to name the town ?
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,
Stu here (Jens Husband). oceanMDX is right. At present I work in a Manufacturing Plant as an Electrician, fixing things when they break. It is through my job as an Electrician that we hope to achieve the necessary points etc to achieve PR.
Having said that, it may not be possible for me to start off as an Industrial Electrician over there until I become certified so until this I would be prepared to try any job available.

I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket by choosing a location that would be ideally suited for an Industrial Electrician, in case I struggle to find work on that field or to become certified.
Also, I might decide I fancy a change if career to go with my change on environment.
Because of this I have been looking at Kingston or maybe even Belleville. I think either of these two locations would be a good base to look for work in the surrounding area.
There is also hospitals in Kingston, which might benefit Jen given her qualifications.
Is it possible to classify this as an area or would I have to name the town ?
dude... unless you put down quebec on the intended place section in the form, after you get your visa it dosnt mean diddly squat... once you land, you can move wherever you want and you can work as whatever you want...

all this adaptability stuff is during the selection phase.. and like any selection phase all these questions will be asked and you either have to document your answers (transcripts, work experience letters etc) or if you dont, then answer them in an interview... almost half the interviews for skilled migrants have something or the other to do with the processing officer not being satisfied the person will be a successful migrant (again, read: pay taxes) if granted immigration...

so you present yourself in the application in the most favourable light possible (i am NOT advocating lying... tell the truth... im saying highlight those factors that would tend to indicate you will be the next joe millionaire if you move to canada) keep your fingers crossed for three years and once you get your visa and land, work as a meat packer if that is your fancy... noone is going to kick you out of canada because you no longer work in the field you said you would or live in a place other than what you said you would... if you chop someone's arm off intentionally while working as a meat packer or run someone over while driving to that other city, thats a whole different matter though...