Wikiposts

when did you get your house?

Old May 7th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default when did you get your house?

Hi, I just wondered at what stage of the immigration process did people buy their houses? Did you wait until you'd got the official "nod" from CHC, or did you buy on the off-chance that you'd be accepted? Did you house hunt before you'd officially "landed"?

For example, I notice that Gooding, your signature says AOR March 2004 yet you've already built your house on Vancouver Island. Does this mean you've already been accepted or you are chancing it?

I know it's a bit of a personal question, but of those who've bought houses without selling up in the UK first, did you have to get second mortgages? I've read that the deposit on Canadian houses is usually around 25% of the purchase price - without selling up in the UK first, that's potentially a pretty hefty amount of dollars.

Thanks
Old May 7th 2005, 11:23 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: when did you get your house?

We bought our house in February last year - it was too perfect a place to turn down, so we bought it in the hope that we would be successful with PR. We had already sold our property in England so didn't need a mortgage.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

We bought our house in November 2003, expecting to be in it by December 2004....We've had No problems, and we've rented to some very nice people...The lawyers have handled all our utility bills, and we've had a gardener do the Lawn etc....Compared to houses we have rented out in the UK..this has been a breeze.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

mman is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find most people risked it as they are from visa waiver countries who can visit 6 months if it doesn't work out they get a vacation home. Cash purchases as you won't normally qualify for a mortgage in CA right away.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mman
Cash purchases as you won't normally qualify for a mortgage in CA right away.
Not stictly true...We got a mortgage through HSBC Canada and it was simple....Mind you we did have to fund 35% of the property though.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:45 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Our is a bit of a bizarre story, soon to be told in a website I am building because so many people think we were mad. We wanted a holiday home and were lucky enough to be able to buy land and house without selling house in UK.

We had no plans to emigrate at the time we bought thinking it was impossible.
I am a bit mad!! and impulsive, I often visited www.escapeartist.com that advertises for property all over the world, some places were wonderful and I saw a house I liked, asked for more info, not even looking at where it was in the world. Price was right looked stunning everything I liked. Looked up the place in an atlas, and said to my husband "Do you fancy a holiday to Canada seen a house I like the look of?" In his usual style he said " yer whatever, book it"
I got them to send details and the sent a video tour. We got cheap flights for Ā£199 return in September 2003. Fell in love with Island immediately, and house , but it was too isolated, right at top of island and no good for teenagers. I was gutted. But determined that the island was where I wanted to buy a house. Too me I could see that it was an investment. We had done a lot of research as far as buying word wide property goes. It was an investment for our future initially. We came back and I joked I wished we could emigrate there. Checked on CIC webstie and points had just gone down. Did score , had a chat and decided to go for it. Then we went back in the following April to look at a couple of other houses and agent had found us. When we arrived they had sold. He took us to land one day, next day showed us plans. Next day we were drawing up contracts. Next day we left to go back to Victoria and then home within 7 days!!! i did all the rest via the internet, a fantastic real estate agent, lawyer and builder. We did not go back until house was finished in December 04. Mad or what!!!!!!!!! :scared:
As far as we are concerned immigration was not in issue in the beginning Now we really want to get there. But if for any reason we dont. We have achieved our original aim, and have a property that has already increased in value within 12 months. We have just has an estate agent contact us from Canada to see if we want to sell it. He found out our UK address from the land registry office where we live and contacted direct saying he has people interested in it. Because we have not been able to get the garden done until now. I expect he thinks it has been built to sell, and wants to get in before anyone else!! Wrong!! I love it so much and look forward to going back in August, if not for good.
I dont think I would have done it if it meant a mortgage, too many risks for us
as we do not want to rent until we know outcome of immigration.
If we did not go , we will rent for profit.
All depends on what you want out of it. If you want to live there, rent it , use for vacations, holiday lets?
if you cant get tenants or holiday lets, you may have a mortgage and no income? You need a good management company or friend to look after it for you. On the other hand it could be a good investment for your future if you buy in right place.

Originally Posted by h_henry
Hi, I just wondered at what stage of the immigration process did people buy their houses? Did you wait until you'd got the official "nod" from CHC, or did you buy on the off-chance that you'd be accepted? Did you house hunt before you'd officially "landed"?

For example, I notice that Gooding, your signature says AOR March 2004 yet you've already built your house on Vancouver Island. Does this mean you've already been accepted or you are chancing it?

I know it's a bit of a personal question, but of those who've bought houses without selling up in the UK first, did you have to get second mortgages? I've read that the deposit on Canadian houses is usually around 25% of the purchase price - without selling up in the UK first, that's potentially a pretty hefty amount of dollars.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'd love to buy a house on the off-chance and rent it out or keep it as a hol home if we don't get over there, but the type of house we'd buy for renting out and the type we'd buy for us are probably very different. I'd like to start looking around soon and if we find somewhere really special risk it, but partner is Mr Sensible and I think would rather wait until we've got confirmation. Oh well, I best keep dreaming....
Old May 9th 2005, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Hi we have just returned from the Okanagan after purchasing a house last week due to take possession In August quite a simple process but we were cash buyers. Are AOR is 03 March 2004 awaiting medical requests, yea I suppose it is a risk without a visa but house prices seem to be on an upward path in BC so hopefully we will be ok just waiting for the exchange rate to be a little more favourable if you want to take a look at what we brought click on this link http://www.virtualproperties.ca/j1014/l/indexlarge.htm
Old May 9th 2005, 12:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry

Thanks
I bought after getting PR after being here on a awork permit for a while. People who buy before they get here must be pretty confident they know the areas they are buying in etc, or else place a lot of trust in their realtor. I'm not that trusting. I would rather rent for a while till I figure out where I want to live full time. Buying the wrong place can be an expensive mistake here as property prices are not increasing rapidly, and realtors typically take 5 or 6 % of the selling price in commision.
Old May 9th 2005, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Cashew is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Hi we have just returned from the Okanagan after purchasing a house last week due to take possession In August quite a simple process but we were cash buyers. Are AOR is 03 March 2004 awaiting medical requests, yea I suppose it is a risk without a visa but house prices seem to be on an upward path in BC so hopefully we will be ok just waiting for the exchange rate to be a little more favourable if you want to take a look at what we brought click on this link http://www.virtualproperties.ca/j1014/l/indexlarge.htm
Wow! that is one big house. The view is awesome - is this in BC?
Old May 9th 2005, 1:54 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Mike, that's lovelly, amazing views!
Where abouts is it?
Old May 9th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Yes BC Summerland near Kelowna Penticton
Old May 9th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow a nice house indeed. The only down side for me would be we would want more land. We plan to increase our dog population (from 1 to 2 or 3) so I think we need to be further away from the neighbours!
Old May 9th 2005, 8:25 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

I'm in awe of this magnificent house - where is this? Oh yeah, saw response above (Kelwona)

Last edited by g_is_for_canada; May 9th 2005 at 8:27 am.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Karen S is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm feeling a bit jealous - what a gorgeous house!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.