Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When could the proposed chnages come into effect!

When could the proposed chnages come into effect!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

reddy_cd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When could the proposed chnages come into effect!

Hello experts and fellow members,

You are aware that the immigration minister recently announced in a press release that international students will be allowed to work off campus and also the current limit of one year postgraduation work permit increased to two years.

When do you think that these proposed changes could come into effect? Also will the extension of postgraduation work permit be applicable to the people who are already on one year postgraduation work permit?

I am just curious about it as my work permit is going to expire in Nov 2005. I will be very happy if this change comes into effect, as I can extend my stay by another one year and wait patiently for my PR to conclude at least by the end of year 2006.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: When could the proposed chnages come into effect!

Any one out there to express your views on this matter?

Reddy

Originally Posted by reddy_cd

You are aware that the immigration minister recently announced in a press release that international students will be allowed to work off campus and also the current limit of one year postgraduation work permit increased to two years.

When do you think that these proposed changes could come into effect? Also will the extension of postgraduation work permit be applicable to the people who are already on one year postgraduation work permit?

I am just curious about it as my work permit is going to expire in Nov 2005. I will be very happy if this change comes into effect, as I can extend my stay by another one year and wait patiently for my PR to conclude at least by the end of year 2006.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:27 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody knows as some require approval from Parliament which is now paralyzed, just like the government is.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply and your views on the above subject.

Let's see what will be the out come of Judge's report on the scam. Paul martin says he will (his party) go for another election within 30 days of such report. Hope the elections won't affect this process.

Reddy

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nobody knows as some require approval from Parliament which is now paralyzed, just like the government is.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:02 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

What PM Martin said last night is just his wishful thinking in desperate hope to buy some time. He is not in driver's seat now as far as election date goes - Conservative party will decide when government goes down and election is called when they withdraw their support for Liberals. It likely will happen within nex 2 or so weeks. Once election is called all promises are dead on arrival, same with all pending bills in Parliament - they will die on paper the day election is called.

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply and your views on the above subject.

Let's see what will be the out come of Judge's report on the scam. Paul martin says he will (his party) go for another election within 30 days of such report. Hope the elections won't affect this process.

Reddy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, i agree with you Andrew. Hope who ever comes next will also give some serious consideration to these issues (especially the the postgraduate work permit and off campus work), as they really help the international students to establish themselves and settle in Canada.

Reddy

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What PM Martin said last night is just his wishful thinking in desperate hope to buy some time. He is not in driver's seat now as far as election date goes - Conservative party will decide when government goes down and election is called when they withdraw their support for Liberals. It likely will happen within nex 2 or so weeks. Once election is called all promises are dead on arrival, same with all pending bills in Parliament - they will die on paper the day election is called.