Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

when bunac visa runs out can i apply for work permit while my pr gets processed

when bunac visa runs out can i apply for work permit while my pr gets processed

Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when bunac visa runs out can i apply for work permit while my pr gets processed

Iam going to live with my gf in canada,she is a canadian citizen as some of u will know,iam going on a bunac visa for a year,then after that she is planning to sponser me,i have heard the sponsership approval takes 30 days then there is the pr application which takes months,i thought once my sponsership gets approved then i could carry on working while my pr gets processed,i have heard of some of u this cant be done,so what do immigration expect me to do ?,how can i support myself by not working ?,

i have read on the immigration site the following : you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

Does this mean i have to apply for a work permit as well ?,if so how long does this take ?,iam hopeing it takes weeks rather than months,if it takes months i might as well wait for my pr,any advise please,lots of advise from people,thanks for your time.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: when bunac visa runs out can i apply for work permit while my pr gets processed

Also can we apply for sponsership 30 days before my bunac visa runs out ?, even though it will only be 11 months we have been living together but it would be 12 months when the application has been approved ?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Jeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant future
Default Re: when bunac visa runs out can i apply for work permit while my pr gets processed

Originally Posted by craig25
Also can we apply for sponsership 30 days before my bunac visa runs out ?, even though it will only be 11 months we have been living together but it would be 12 months when the application has been approved ?
Hi mate,

Well the answer to your first question is No...I think! You're from the UK right?! I'd advise not to apply Inland as it can take a lot longer than applying from Outside...I was here on a Bunac...Sept-Sept...sent off papers at the end of July and Landed as an immigrant on the 29th Dec...so 5 months!!

If you do apply Inland then after a certain period you will be granted AIP and then you can get a work permit to tidy you over until your PR comes through!

This might not be 100% true, so just take it with a pinch of salt!There are a lot more knowledgable members on this board.

All the best mate! Hope it works out for you!

Jeff
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:15 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craig25
Iam going to live with my gf in canada,she is a canadian citizen as some of u will know,iam going on a bunac visa for a year,then after that she is planning to sponser me,i have heard the sponsership approval takes 30 days then there is the pr application which takes months,i thought once my sponsership gets approved then i could carry on working while my pr gets processed,i have heard of some of u this cant be done,so what do immigration expect me to do ?,how can i support myself by not working ?,

i have read on the immigration site the following : you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

Does this mean i have to apply for a work permit as well ?,if so how long does this take ?,iam hopeing it takes weeks rather than months,if it takes months i might as well wait for my pr,any advise please,lots of advise from people,thanks for your time.
If you take the in-Canada route then AIP (approval in principle) will come 5 to 8 months later and only with AIP you can apply for open work permit.

If you take sponsorship from abroad route (even if in Canada) then the total process (~30 days in Canada to approve sponsor and then few months in London for your PR stage) shouldn't take more than 4-5 months all together.

I'm sorry, but CIC doesn't care how you can support yourself after your BUNAC runs out - you should have been thinking about it before taking this route. You will need job offer with positive LMO and apply before BUNAC expires for standard work permit.

Of course you can get married and go through the sponsorship process and become a PR well before your BUNAC expires. Never heard of marriage?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

The reason why i have to wait until my bunac expires is because it states we have to live together for 1 year,so thats what i will be doing as my bunac lasts one year,is marriage stronger than a common law sponsership ?,we do have joint natwest bank accounts from when she was living here in the uk from october 07 till jan,we also do have proof of purchased flight tickets from us traveling to spain and hotels etc,from october last year but even though we havent lived together for a year, we can proof we have been in a relationship from oct 07from flights,joint bank accounts etc,but it does state that we have to be living together for one year to sponser as common law,they do allow gaps for family visits but how big off a gap ?,if i went to canada in march with bunac and started applying in oct for sponsership/pr then that would give them 5 months to process before my bunac ran out,but can i start the common law process from oct 07 ?,sorry if it sounds confusing,iam starting to confuse myself.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

The reason why i have to wait until my bunac expires is because it states we have to live together for 1 year,so thats what i will be doing as my bunac lasts one year,is marriage stronger than a common law sponsership ?,we do have joint natwest bank accounts from when she was living here in the uk from october 07 till jan,we also do have proof of purchased flight tickets from us traveling to spain and hotels etc,from october last year but even though we havent lived together for a year, we can proof we have been in a relationship from oct 07from flights to spain,hotelsetc,joint bank accounts etc,but it does state that we have to be living together for one year to sponser as common law,they do allow gaps for family visits but how big off a gap ?,if i went to canada in march with bunac and started applying in oct for sponsership/pr then that would give them 5 months to process before my bunac ran out,but can i start the common law process from oct 07 ?,sorry if it sounds confusing,iam starting to confuse myself.