Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

whats quickest way to get into canada

Wikiposts

whats quickest way to get into canada

Old May 29th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

ejbsom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats quickest way to get into canada

would my hubby and i be best trying to get a job offer before we go. or just apply some other way. to be honest we havent really got any idea how to go about it without a job offer, its the only avenue weve persued. any ideas or advice
Old May 29th 2007, 9:16 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: whats quickest way to get into canada

I applied via skilled worker route with a job offer out there (AEO) approved via HRDC. This made my application about 8 months. Theres also LMO which I do not know much about but thats another way. You might need to do more research on it. Also start getting CV out there to get some interviews. Try to arrange all interviews to fall in same week so you can go thier for couple weeks to go to all at same time. Goodluck with it. this forums great to help you along way of applying
Old May 29th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
I applied via skilled worker route with a job offer out there (AEO) approved via HRDC. This made my application about 8 months. Theres also LMO which I do not know much about but thats another way. You might need to do more research on it. Also start getting CV out there to get some interviews. Try to arrange all interviews to fall in same week so you can go thier for couple weeks to go to all at same time. Goodluck with it. this forums great to help you along way of applying
he has already sent a resume to a company that told him he needs 1 years experience but if he sends his cv they will have a look at his back ground and see if there is any chance they can do something. not holding my breath though. only sent it yesterday so they wont receive it till next week.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:54 pm
Mr McGoo

Location: Wiltshire, Switzerland, Reading, Snug Cove BC - all in one year!
mrmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a job is the quickest way. In some industries I think you'd have to go out there to do the job hunting.

I'm in IT and in a fairly sought after field at the moment. I'm listed on Monster.ca and I get several calls a week from recruitment consultants with possible work mainly for UK, but also Switzerland (where I am currently), Belguim, Luxembourg and Ireland crop up too. But Canada ... nothing!

I can only assume it's because of the UK address on the Resumé that they just don't consider me or I don't come up in their searches.

Without a job, my application has taken 2 years and 3 months so far and I think they might have opened my file this week! If you apply now I hear it's 4 years!
With a job I believe it was a few weeks for a temporary visa and around 6 months for a full visa. I think those timelines are getting longer now.

Good luck!
Old May 29th 2007, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrmcgoo
Getting a job is the quickest way. In some industries I think you'd have to go out there to do the job hunting.

I'm in IT and in a fairly sought after field at the moment. I'm listed on Monster.ca and I get several calls a week from recruitment consultants with possible work mainly for UK, but also Switzerland (where I am currently), Belguim, Luxembourg and Ireland crop up too. But Canada ... nothing!

I can only assume it's because of the UK address on the Resumé that they just don't consider me or I don't come up in their searches.

Without a job, my application has taken 2 years and 3 months so far and I think they might have opened my file this week! If you apply now I hear it's 4 years!
With a job I believe it was a few weeks for a temporary visa and around 6 months for a full visa. I think those timelines are getting longer now.

Good luck!
even it was 6 months at least you have a reasonable wait where as you feel that you could start planning. if its 2,3 or especially 4 years its just too far away to feel it would ever happen. my eldest son would almost be old enough not to have to come with us if it was 4 years. that wouldnt be good. its easier said than done getting on with your life as normal. ive been wanting to get a new sofa but im like im not buying anything new that i cant take with me. mad i know but i cant help it
Old May 29th 2007, 10:11 pm
Mr McGoo

Tell me about it!
We first applied about 6 years ago.
It has been our dream for so long. The irony is I got into Switzerland in a matter of weeks, and they are notorious for their bureaucracy.

Just as we start settling down to life here Canada now start moving on our application ... typical!

My advice is don't hold back on your current life. We did, sold our house and rented and geared up genrally to move within a year. It was an expensive mistake as we got out of the housing market as it really heated up and then we were rejected found it difficult to get back on.

If you go the long route, you have a year from your medicals to actually move.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tell me about it!
We first applied about 6 years ago.
It has been our dream for so long. The irony is I got into Switzerland in a matter of weeks, and they are notorious for their bureaucracy.

Just as we start settling down to life here Canada now start moving on our application ... typical!

My advice is don't hold back on your current life. We did, sold our house and rented and geared up genrally to move within a year. It was an expensive mistake as we got out of the housing market as it really heated up and then we were rejected found it difficult to get back on.

If you go the long route, you have a year from your medicals to actually move.
why so long. ive never heard of anyone waiting 6 years. where do you live now. have you found life better for you and the family. nearly everyone on here seems to have family out there some where. i dont i hope it wont make it even harder.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:43 pm
Mr McGoo

I've applied twice, I was rejected the first time! It hasn't been 6 years on one application - even I'm not that patient!

Look at my signature strip for time scales (actualy its 5.5 years).

Switzerland is not meant to be long term. But if we can survive moving here, we can survive in Canada.

In terms of family, we have an Aunt in Canada, but really in terms of your application they just mean extra points! The reason being that you might have someone to turn to if you have difficulties instead of turning to the state for help. If you have a job to go to that's less relevant, you get a lot more points for a job than a relative.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

I've applied twice, I was rejected the first time! It hasn't been 6 years on one application - even I'm not that patient!

Switzerland is not meant to be long term. But if we can survive moving here, we can survive in Canada.

In terms of family, we have an Aunt in Canada, but really in terms of your application they just mean extra points! The reason being that you might have someone to turn to if you have difficulties instead of turning to the state for help. If you have a job to go to that's less relevant, you get a lot more points for a job than a relative.
apparently i have a great aunt and so does my husand funnily enough, wouldnt know where to start to find them. think we will just have to wait til he has another 6 months experience. sounds like that will still be quicker than trying to apply without a job. i think my husband did have enough points to go without a job, but its probably best to get job. anyone got advice
Old May 29th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

may i ask why you were rejected, and do you know of anyone that has secured a job but yet still been rejected.
Old May 29th 2007, 11:31 pm
Mr McGoo

We were rejected because we got caught by the change in the points threshold.
Our application was received Early Jan 02, the points change came into effect 28th June 2002 (my birthday! nice present!) and they applied it retrospectively! But didn't tell us till 27th Dec 2002 (nice Christmas present!).

Which is really unfair as we'd applied and paid our money on the basis that we fulfilled their criteria so they go and move the goalposts! They got sued over this because some more complex applications had been in a couple of years and got thrown out just like that! In the end they were forced to re-instate all applications upto December 2001 ... arrghh! Apparently if we had trawled the web site hard enough around 1st Jan 2002 we would have seen this was coming in! Reminds me of the plans to demolish Arthur Dents house in HitchHikers ... they were on public display in the council offices ... in the basement ... which was locked ... and flooded .... and guarded by a Siberian Tiger ....
I might be paraphrasing slightly there!

The points threshold now is lower than when we first applied! This and the reinstated applications from the court action are the reasons applications take so long now.

As for being rejected with a job offer - yes you can be if they deem you unsuitable, for instance criminal record. Absolutely nothing is assured in this process, it really doesn't feel like they want anyone at all to emigrate because they make the process so tortuous.

Having said that a couple of good things have happened since the last general election 1) Landing Fees have been halved. 2) You don't have to send all your documentation with the initial application. The reason for no. 2 is that, as in my case, my stuff is 2 years old when they get to it so a lot of information is out of date and they have to store this stuff. I also heard from an immigration consultant that they are running out of physical space but that might just be gossip.

Last edited by mrmcgoo; May 29th 2007 at 11:33 pm.
Old May 29th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

We were rejected because we got caught by the change in the points threshold.
Our application was received Early Jan 02, the points change came into effect 28th June 2002 (my birthday! nice present!) and they applied it retrospectively! But didn't tell us till 27th Dec 2002 (nice Christmas present!).

Which is really unfair as we'd applied and paid our money on the basis that we fulfilled their criteria so they go and move the goalposts! They got sued over this because some more complex applications had been in a couple of years and got thrown out just like that! In the end they were forced to re-instate all applications upto December 2001 ... arrghh! Apparently if we had trawled the web site hard enough around 1st Jan 2002 we would have seen this was coming in! Reminds me of the plans to demolish Arthur Dents house in HitchHikers ... they were on public display in the council offices ... in the basement ... which was locked ... and flooded .... and guarded by a Siberian Tiger ....
I might be paraphrasing slightly there!

The points threshold now is lower than when we first applied! This and the reinstated applications from the court action are the reasons applications take so long now.

As for being rejected with a job offer - yes you can be if they deem you unsuitable, for instance criminal record. Absolutely nothing is assured in this process, it really doesn't feel like they want anyone at all to emigrate because they make the process so tortuous.

Having said that a couple of good things have happened since the last general election 1) Landing Fees have been halved. 2) You don't have to send all your documentation with the initial application. The reason for no. 2 is that, as in my case, my stuff is 2 years old when they get to it so a lot of information is out of date and they have to store this stuff. I also heard from an immigration consultant that they are running out of physical space but that might just be gossip.
neither my husand nor i have any criminal record of any description, not so much as points on licences. we were told by a lawyer over in canada, that if my husand got his job offer, we could be there in maybe 6 to 9 months. any truth to this.
Old May 29th 2007, 11:54 pm
Mr McGoo

That's what I was told too by an English Imm. Cons. in Vancouver. So I guess it must be true!