Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What's My Best Way Into British Columbia

What's My Best Way Into British Columbia

Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Loamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's My Best Way Into British Columbia

Hi folk, I need your help.

So here's my situation-
-21 year old, white-british, male.
-Currently in last year of university studying Chemical Engineering at the University of Manchester.
-Want to move to Canada shortly after I've finished my degree (~June 2017).
-I've already worked 13 months as a Chemical Engineer.
-I've got a bit of savings which I'll be taking over.
-Unmarried.
-I've not already got a job offer in Canada.

I want to get a job in British Columbia (around the Vancouver / Squamish area) as a Chemical Engineer, and get permanent residence there, but I'm a little confused with the application processes. Would the Express Entry be the best way in? Plus, should I start applying for Canadian jobs now or should I start the express entry process first? Also, I've not yet completed my university degree, so would I say that I have been educated up to a university level (because I will have completed my course by the time I move to Canada), or do I say that I'm currently only on an A-level education level?

Thanks in advance, plus please tell me if I need to clarify something or I'm not making sense haha. Cheers.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's My Best Way Into British Columbia

Hi, welcome to BE.

You're not likely to score enough to get PR via EE, but luckily you do have another (much easier and quicker) route available to you - research the IEC visa. It's a 2 year open work permit for those aged 30 and under, and if you get a visa under the 2017 program (which is already open), you'd have a year to enter Canada so that would tie in with your timescales too.

Two quick questions - what is 'a bit of savings'? And would you consider another province? Just thinking of other options in case the IEC isn't of any interest.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

In your case I would do an IEC, followed by CEC using EE. This should boost your points and get round a potential issue where your savings are not enough to qualify for FSW.

IS your degree a bachelors or Masters?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 2:31 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loamy

I want to get a job in British Columbia (around the Vancouver / Squamish area)
Any particular reason for BC/Vancouver area?

I would look at other provinces and compare salaries because its expensive here especially if you want to own a house.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the speedy replies. If it's unlikely that I'll get through the EE process due to a lack of points, how would I be able to gain enough points (short of learning fluent French).

Also, another (slightly less desirable) option for me would be to work in the UK for around 3-5 years and get chartered and gain some experience before moving over to Canada. If I did this, would it be any easier to get a decent job and PR.

Christmasoompa - Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only get the Working Holiday IEC visa, so will only be able to stay for a year. Would I then be able to apply for permanent residence after that. I'll have around £5000, but can fairly easily get £10000+ if needed. Plus BC is my main interest so far so I'd like to concentrate my efforts on that really.

Engineer_abroad - The CEC seems like a potential idea. I couldn't find too much information on it though, could you please briefly enplane the process thanks (like would I do the CEC whilst on the IEC, or after it etc etc). Plus it's a Master's degree.

Beckiwoo - I do a fair amount of extreme sports (mountain biking / climbing / skiing) and generally love the outdoors and nice people. As far as I've found, Vancouver/Squamish/Whislter seems to have the most of the above. Plus it's really beautiful as far as photos lead me to believe. I'm sure there are other places in Canada which are like that, but I've not found any so far. The main thing I'm looking for is the mountain biking and BC is the best place in the world for that. As far as money goes, I'm not particularly bothered as long as I can afford my hobbies and eat (which I should hopefully be able to do on a chemical engineering salary. Although if you can think of anywhere else then please point them out.
Old Nov 9th 2016, 5:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

An IEC working holiday permit is a 2 year open work permit, not one year. You have one year from the date of acceptance to validate (use) it - once you arrive and validate it, you will be given a 2 year open work permit. You can read more about it here: International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada

CEC (Canadian Experience Class) is one way to apply for Permanent Residency after working in a skilled profession in Canada for one year - you can read more here: Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class

Another way would be to obtain Provincial Nomination (which would give you an additional 600 points) or a job offer with an LMIA (again 600 points).

Good luck and I would suggest applying asap for the IEC!

Old Nov 9th 2016, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the speedy replies. If it's unlikely that I'll get through the EE process due to a lack of points, how would I be able to gain enough points (short of learning fluent French).
I haven't checked your points, but what are you scoring? My assumption would be that you wouldn't score enough due to lack of work experience, but I could well be wrong, so check and let us know.

Also, another (slightly less desirable) option for me would be to work in the UK for around 3-5 years and get chartered and gain some experience before moving over to Canada. If I did this, would it be any easier to get a decent job and PR.
Tbh, I can't see why on earth you'd do that when you could just go to Canada and work there on an IEC and get Canadian experience and more points?

Christmasoompa - Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only get the Working Holiday IEC visa, so will only be able to stay for a year. Would I then be able to apply for permanent residence after that. I'll have around £5000, but can fairly easily get £10000+ if needed. Plus BC is my main interest so far so I'd like to concentrate my efforts on that really.
Nope, as Siouxie has said it's a 2 year open work permit.

£5k wouldn't be enough to apply for PR (proof of funds for one person is approx £7500), but if you can get more it would be advisable anyway as it won't be cheap setting up life in Canada, particularly in BC and if you want to run a car.

So check your points score, let us know what it is but if as suspected it won't be enough, then an IEC would definitely be the way to go IMO.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Sorry for the late reply folk, been a bit busy recently. So I've just checked my points and it comes to 394 currently, rising to 456 when I finish university. If I'm correct, the lowest points for someone to be invited is currently at around 472, so I'd need either a job offer or a Provincial Nomination for the express entry route.

I had a look at the Provincial Nominations and they all required that I had a job offer and at least 2 years of relevant work (of which I don't).

The IEC then the CEC seems to be the way to go from here on in. Just a couple of questions on it. When would I apply for the IEC job, would this be before I go to Canada or whilst I am there. Also, would the job I get require a LMIA as I am a British citizen, or would it just be the same as a Canadian getting a job where you just apply normally. Thanks again for your help.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the late reply folk, been a bit busy recently. So I've just checked my points and it comes to 394 currently, rising to 456 when I finish university. If I'm correct, the lowest points for someone to be invited is currently at around 472, so I'd need either a job offer or a Provincial Nomination for the express entry route.

I had a look at the Provincial Nominations and they all required that I had a job offer and at least 2 years of relevant work (of which I don't).

The IEC then the CEC seems to be the way to go from here on in. Just a couple of questions on it. When would I apply for the IEC job, would this be before I go to Canada or whilst I am there. Also, would the job I get require a LMIA as I am a British citizen, or would it just be the same as a Canadian getting a job where you just apply normally. Thanks again for your help.
If you follow the link to the IEC page, it shows you that it's a 2 year open work permit - meaning that you can work for anyone, anywhere in Canada. No LMIA required.

As to getting a job, you would find it much easier to find one once you are here. Some people have entered Canada as a visitor, searched for a job and then activated their 2 year open work permit, thus not 'wasting' any of the time on it.

Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

If you are awarded an IEC visa you will get an open work permit and will not need an LMIA. Typically, you find a job when you apply but you may be able to make contacts from UK.

May want to hold off on CRS points as some elements are now changing.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Great, I've just applied now so should hopefully hear from them in the coming months. Thanks for all the help and advise, I couldn't have done it without you lot. Although I'm sure I'll be back here shortly with more help requests.