Whats the Difference?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

rachel38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Whats the Difference?

Hi

Wonder if anyone could clarify a few things for me, whats the difference between a TWP,WP,PNP and Skilled Workers Visa??

I have the general gist (I think?) but not sure which would be the best route to go down until I have these answers!!

Still trawling my way through mountains of information and would be greatly appreciated if anyone could clarify for me.

Many thanks

Rachel
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the Difference?

TWP and WP - both stand for the same thing, a temporary work permit.

PNP - Provincial Nominee Program. Most Provinces have very small number of annual selection certificates available to selected by them applicants. With PNP selection certificate you bypass standard federal skilled worker selection criteria and your PR visa application is processed with highest priority among all economic classes applications.

There is no such thing as "Skilled Worker visa".

Read Wiki and you'll find all answers there.

Without telling us what is your ultimate goal (temporary work in Canada or permanent immigration) providing any better answers to your questions will only confuse you more.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
TWP and WP - both stand for the same thing, a temporary work permit.

PNP - Provincial Nominee Program. Most Provinces have very small number of annual selection certificates available to selected by them applicants. With PNP selection certificate you bypass standard federal skilled worker selection criteria and your PR visa application is processed with highest priority among all economic classes applications.

There is no such thing as "Skilled Worker visa".

Read Wiki and you'll find all answers there.

Without telling us what is your ultimate goal (temporary work in Canada or permanent immigration) providing any better answers to your questions will only confuse you more.
Hi Andrew

We are looking for permanent immigration and trying figure out best way at this stage, there is so much information to take in!!

I am also having trouble locating what jobs are actually on the PNP in each province to check whether either my or my husbands job are on there, I looked at the Wiki which took me to the CIC website but didnt give dinitive jobs on the PNP?

I am probably be exceptionally 'dull' and its probably staring me in the face, am I looking in the right place?

I appreciate your help and advice.

Rachel
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:02 pm

In most PNP's it is not the occupation what counts (although some occupations may be restricted) but the job offer and employer's participation in sponsoring you for PNP. So, the job search and job offer is what you should be doing, not trying to figure out which Province prefers what occupation. To learn more about each PNP look here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
In most PNP's it is not the occupation what counts (although some occupations may be restricted) but the job offer and employer's participation in sponsoring you for PNP. So, the job search and job offer is what you should be doing, not trying to figure out which Province prefers what occupation. To learn more about each PNP look here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Hi Andrew

You have been very informative, one last question, my husband works with the homeless and his occupation is on the noc (4212) in BC and Alberta its on the under pressure list, but does that mean he will stand a better chance of employment in these provinces or is it a case of as you say applying for jobs all over Canada and see what comes up?

Thanks

Rachel
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm

Chances for employment are what they are - only possible chances. An approved job offer for either PNP or Work Permit supporting PR application with arranged employment is a sure thing, not just a chance. Don't look for or count on chances - get a job and go ahead of hopes, chances and luck searchers.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachel38
Hi Andrew

You have been very informative, one last question, my husband works with the homeless and his occupation is on the noc (4212) in BC and Alberta its on the under pressure list, but does that mean he will stand a better chance of employment in these provinces or is it a case of as you say applying for jobs all over Canada and see what comes up?

Thanks

Rachel
I recommend that, if you haven't already done so, you read the Wiki article called Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

Then go into the Canadian Immigration section of the Wiki and read the articles there.

There you will find some articles that clarify for you the differences amongst the various ways of getting into Canada. For example, I recommend the article called Work Permit versus PNP.

Of course you also should read the Canadian government's website about immigration, namely, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

But I personally think CIC's website is easier to understand if you read it in conjunction with the British Expats Wiki. There are some things that the Wiki tells you that CIC doesn't tell you, and vice versa.

I don't think it makes sense to apply for jobs all over Canada. I think it makes sense to apply for jobs in the provinces in which your occupation is listed as one that is "under pressure." That is, the government formally recognizes that a given province has a shortage of people in that occupation.

In order for you to get a temporary work permit, your prospective employer first has to get a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). He'll get one only if he has advertised the job across Canada for 3 months and no willing and able Canadian resident has applied for the job. For Occupations under Pressure (OUPs), the required advertising time is reduced considerably.

One of the things that's useful to understand is that, from the point of view of speeding up your entry to Canada, it's not good enough to get just any old job offer. It has to be an offer of a job that no qualified Canadian resident wants. Your chances of getting such a job offer in a province in which your occupation is on an OUP list are much better than they are in a province that is not experiencing labour shortages.

Admittedly, what I've been talking about up to now has been a scenario in which you would apply for a temporary work permit.

But the same thing applies, to some extent, to Provincial Nominee Programs. As Andrew said, there isn't necessarily a formal link between a specific occupation and given province's Nominee Program.

But you have to keep in mind that all these employment-related routes into Canada require an employer's cooperation. Either the employer has to apply for an LMO, or he has to write up a business case and submit it to his province's Nominee Program, or whatever. The exact requirements differ from one PNP to the next, but I'm discussing this in general terms.

The average employer doesn't like doing more paperwork than he absolutely has to. If he can find a person who already is entitled to work in Canada, he'd much rather hire that person. He'll only go to the bother of hiring a foreign worker (which is going to involve applying for an LMO or submitting a business case to the PNP) if he's scoured the landscape for local workers and has not been able to find any.

That's why I believe it's prudent to focus your job hunting efforts on the provinces in which there are shortages of people in your occupation.

In addition to what I've already told you, I also recommend that you read the Wiki called Where to live in Canada.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add that it will help you to understand the alphabet soup of immigration acronyms if you read the Wiki article called Canadian Abbreviations.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jun 3rd 2008 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Andrew and Thanks Judy

You have been very helpful, I have read the wikis you suggest and the CIC and now have a better understanding of the process.

Next question is does anyone know a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand to get a job offer in BC, sort out visas etc!!!

Thanks again for advice will now start making lists of things to do!

Kind Regards

Rachel