What would you do???

Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough
Default What would you do???

Hi there, I would like your help and tell me what you would do.
This is the situation.
I am a Retail manager, but i have had experience working in Hospitality, I am wanting to move to Canada, I have paid for the services of an immigration consultant who has told me that they will be taking my application through the skilled worker route. They have all my paperwork now ready, I have had a couple of interviews with companies who they have said they are very interested in me , But no offer of work , As they are waiting to see if they get a positive LMO before they will interview me again. And so i keep waiting and waiting, (I know some of you guys are used to waiting but i am not , like a bull in a china shop.) Anyway i know the wait for an lmo is 28 weeks in Alberta.
But another agent working for my consultant rang me yesterday with a job opportunity, working in a hotel. Not a management position , so the wages would be 14$ an hour , not the salary i was hoping to get, However he said to me that these people are ready and they will be able to get me there on an elmo, in the next 6 weeks. He told me that i am unlikely to get a management position with me been out of the country.
So do i accept a job , and with me been in Canada i would be able to go to interviews face to face, and get the job i want , The problem is i would be using this job just to get me there, Do you think this is fair?????
The money is not that good , and i have a house that is for sale, but no takers as yet as the housing market here as all but stoped. I do have a bit of money to keep the mortgage going for a few months, but would need to earn more money if i was to keep it on Ie does not sell. Renting the house out is out of the question.

So do i take the plunge, and move. or stay put and wait for the right job , which may be a long time away , or may be never. Or do i take a chance.

I am a single Male 37 (oh and my dog) couldnt leave him behind.

I am not too happy in my present job now, But i guess alot has to do with the fact that my heart has already moved.
The area in which i could be moving to is BANFF.
Many thanks
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do???

If it wasn't for your dog, I would say, "Go for it." You don't have a family, so you have a lot of flexibility.

You don't have to worry about taking advantage of your employer. You won't be able to skip jobs that easily. Your work permit will tie you to that employer for at least a year.

But, on that wage, I would guess that you'd be hard pressed to afford accommodation that would make it feasible to keep your dog. I mean you may have to share an apartment with other people or something along those lines. I don't know how easy it will be to have a dog under the circumstances.

Another thing I'm a bit confused about is what kind of application or applications you will be submitting. First you started out by saying that your immigration consultant was helping you to put together a skilled worker application. A skilled worker application is one of several kinds of permanent residence visa (PR) application. A skilled worker application does not require a job offer, and it takes about 5 years to wind its way through the process.

I think there is some confusion here, perhaps because you've simply misunderstood what your immigration consultant has told you. From the details you've supplied, it sounds as if your immigration consultant is helping you to apply for a temporary work permit (TWP). A TWP is the kind of application that requires a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).

Note, as I said before, that the TWP is very likely to be issued with conditions. For example, it probably will be valid only for as long as you're working for Employer X.

I personally think it sucks to have to enter Canada under those conditions. They have you by the short and curlies.

But, since it's so difficult to get into Canada these days, people are willing to accept the unacceptable, if they want to get into the country badly enough.

Well, I don't know if I've really helped you, but hopefully I've assisted you in clearing up a couple of issues.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: What would you do???

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have all the right information first and that you totaly understand whats happening.
A WP is a quick route to Canada but isnt always the right one. I think personaly, you would find it hard to manage on that wage alone.
If you maybe tried renting a room in a house share or a small appartment you might just manage.The cost of living is pretty high, i think alot of people dont realise that when they first get there and get a big shock, i know we did.
I understand you wanting to rush things, we did that last year and now we,re back in England, so be a bit more cautious and seek a bit more advice.
Hope that helps and i wish you lots of luck in what you decide.
Mandi x
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Banff is nice, but personally I wouldn't do it unless I could sell the house. You could probably survive on that salary if you had no other debts to pay, but if you're paying a mortgage in the UK in addition to living expenses in Canada, I don't really see how you could manage.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not clear from the information above whether there's any eligibility for a work permit and/or permanent resident status.

Both these aspects should be thoroughly investigated before doing anything to uproot from the U.K.
I'd start at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:47 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am not clear from the information above whether there's any eligibility for a work permit and/or permanent resident status.
JAJ, I believe there is a reasonable chance that the original poster could get a temporary work permit. Because the oil industry has siphoned off many of the workers who otherwise would work in the hospitality industry, the latter industry in Alberta is short of workers.

To give you an idea of the hospitality industry's desperation, hotel front desk clerks (NOC Code 6435) are listed amongst Alberta's Occupations Under Pressure.

I'm not saying that that, in and of itself, makes it wise for the original poster to accept the job offer under discussion. I'm just saying that I think the OP has a reasonable chance of getting a work permit.

But I'm glad you pointed the OP to CIC's website. That was a good suggestion.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough

Hi Thanks guys ,

I think the idea is to get me there on a twp, to start, I do want pr. I am still speaking with a few people, who are waiting for there LMO,s , and from my understanding, if i get offered another job with an LMO ,i would have to leave the country and then re-enter. I agree on that wage, it is going to be hard, but i have enough funds here to pay the mortgage for the next 6 months, and hopefully in that time it will sell. or i get a position with an Lmo which will pay me more money.