Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What would be the fastest way for me to emigrate to Canada??

What would be the fastest way for me to emigrate to Canada??

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would be the fastest way for me to emigrate to Canada??

I really want to emigrate to BC, but i am not sure what would be the best way for me to go about it. I know it is going to be a lengthy process, but i want to try and make it as quick as possible (i understand its still going to take years and not months!)

I am 21 years old and about to enter the 4th and final year of my International Business degree. I studied for a year (2007/08) in Kelowna, BC and i fell in love with the place, and i am have 2 days left of a month long unpaid internship in Vancouver. Being in Vancouver has dont nothing but reignited my desire to relocate to BC.

I know i need to get some work experience behind me first, and i read that i need atleast one year of continuous, full time employment which i will hopefully get when i graduate.

I know that there are several options for emigrating, but i am not sure which would be the best one for me. Would it be easier to apply for a temporary work visa or working holiday visa and then apply for a permanent visa?

I would be grateful for any ideas/suggestions/opinions.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be the fastest way for me to emigrate to Canada??

Originally Posted by burks
I really want to emigrate to BC, but i am not sure what would be the best way for me to go about it. I know it is going to be a lengthy process, but i want to try and make it as quick as possible (i understand its still going to take years and not months!)

I am 21 years old and about to enter the 4th and final year of my International Business degree. I studied for a year (2007/08) in Kelowna, BC and i fell in love with the place, and i am have 2 days left of a month long unpaid internship in Vancouver. Being in Vancouver has dont nothing but reignited my desire to relocate to BC.

I know i need to get some work experience behind me first, and i read that i need atleast one year of continuous, full time employment which i will hopefully get when i graduate.

I know that there are several options for emigrating, but i am not sure which would be the best one for me. Would it be easier to apply for a temporary work visa or working holiday visa and then apply for a permanent visa?

Thanks.
At your age a four or five year wait would still see you in Canada by your mid-twenties, but I understand the desire to get on as fast as possible. I think you should look at getting a job there but it might be hard without experience.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the BUNAC would be the best option.......cos you can work whilst you're there to help towards getting the experience you need.....then either apply for PR or try to get a company to get a positive LMO for a job that only you are suitable for, and get a TWP for that....

......You'd obviously need some savings to get you there and to survive on until you find a job though

...Bear in mind that I'm far from being an expert on such matters.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

spaa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by burks

Thanks.
Job in hand could expedite!!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:32 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

•Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
•Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
•Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
There are two other programs for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents. They are as follows:

•Provincial Nominee; and
•Quebec Skilled Workers.

Link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

Your student experience in Kelowna & work in Vancouver might qualify you for FSW Category 3.

I don't know the timescales for that though. Other FSW have been as fast as a 12 months.

Otherwise Bunac, but I think that is only a year not permanent residency, but think others often use that as a way of getting job offers.

Good luck
Bali
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:51 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
I reckon the BUNAC would be the best option.......cos you can work whilst you're there to help towards getting the experience you need.....then either apply for PR or try to get a company to get a positive LMO for a job that only you are suitable for, and get a TWP for that....

......You'd obviously need some savings to get you there and to survive on until you find a job though

...Bear in mind that I'm far from being an expert on such matters.
i would agree, at your age, bunac would be the way to go, that way you can try before you buy kind of thing
If you don't like you havent lost, if you love you can look at extending with a job and LMO etc..................
Hope you get sorted

LB
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Yep, agree that BUNAC is your way in, for a year anyway. Wahoo!!! You're young and with no kids (I guess!?) so your options are open with them.

It is a totally open work permit for a year. (Well, you're not allowed to work in certain professions eg nursing, with kids, etc but that wouldn't matter to you if you're studying business.)

Investigate their website for more info on the non-student open work visa:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I had never really considered BUNAC before ..so thanks all for the suggestion ..Its something i shall be looking into a lot more!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

the wifes brother went to australia first got perm resident in 8 months applied to canada from there and it took 8 weeks for permanent residency to come through apparently the australia have an agreement with canada so whole process took 10 months that way
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
the wifes brother went to australia first got perm resident in 8 months applied to canada from there and it took 8 weeks for permanent residency to come through apparently the australia have an agreement with canada so whole process took 10 months that way
There is no "agreement" between Australia and Canada on permanent resident status.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

maybe its just that the office there is much quieter