Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What type of work experience should I look to do within the 2 years of IEC?

What type of work experience should I look to do within the 2 years of IEC?

Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute
Default What type of work experience should I look to do within the 2 years of IEC?

Hi all.
I am flying to Canada in October to start my two years, and I have heard that 1 year minimum will open many doors for future permanent residency to Canada. I have got a few job opportunities already in reach because of my family friends I will be living with are already talking with their friends who work at place.

What jobs would you recommend for taking to open the doors to gain permanent residency for the future after IEC?

Thank you, Callum.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of work experience should I look to do within the 2 years of IEC?

Anything that is 'skilled' (NOC Levels A, O or B).

What the actual job is doesn't matter, as long as it's skilled.

HTH.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of work experience should I look to do within the 2 years of IEC?

I would run a quick CRS score as you are now and as you will be with one year of work experience. This will give you a baseline and help identify whether you need to lift your points. For example is it likely you will need a job offer to secure additional points. If so your focus should be on a job that is willing to give you a job offer after your 1 year of experience. If applying for CEC, which you most likely will be, you will need to consider the following if you do need a job offer.

Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class

A valid job offer has to be:
  • made by one employer
  • continuous
  • paid
  • full-time (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
    • not seasonal
    • not on a contract basis
  • in a job that is NOC:
    • Skill Type 0 or
    • Skill Levels A or B
It also must be made :
  • by an employer with a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
  • if you’re currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on an LMIA, and:
    • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
    • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
    • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident OR
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question!
I did the CRS points check... and I did the answers to my best guess with one year of experience in Canada. I got 430 points. I’m not sure if this is good or not.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calsholty
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question!
I did the CRS points check... and I did the answers to my best guess with one year of experience in Canada. I got 430 points. I’m not sure if this is good or not.
It isn't bad and certainly puts you in with a chance but may take a little while to get an ITA based on CEC. The average score needed for FSW or CEC since June 2016 (when IMO scores started to stabilize after some ups and downs following the roll out of the new system) is 458 points. The last time scores dropped below 430 was May 2017. Although is came close in Aug 17 (433).

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Jul 6th 2018 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 3:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
It isn't bad and certainly puts you in with a chance but may take a little while to get an ITA. The average score needed since June 2016 (when IMO scores started to stabilize after some ups and downs following the roll out of the new system) is 458 points. The last time scores dropped below 430 was May 2017. Although is came close in Aug 17 (433).
Just to add..

Unless, of course, it's for Federal Skilled Trades, in which case the points are significantly lower.

There's also the possibility of the employer agreeing to sponsor them for Provincial Nomination, depending on the Province, which could boost the points too..
Old Jul 6th 2018, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Just to add..

Unless, of course, it's for Federal Skilled Trades, in which case the points are significantly lower.

There's also the possibility of the employer agreeing to sponsor them for Provincial Nomination, depending on the Province, which could boost the points too..
true, I have excluded FST and PNP draws in my calcs
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
true, I have excluded FST and PNP draws in my calcs

I realise that but you can't always assume that every person who asks is a 'normal' FSW - there are many who come over on IEC's (and otherwise) who are in Trades .. so we really should give them the relevant info, just in case.. (we don't want to make them think they won't ever stand a chance of getting picked from the pool, if they are in Trades)
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I realise that but you can't always assume that every person who asks is a 'normal' FSW - there are many who come over on IEC's (and otherwise) who are in Trades .. so we really should give them the relevant info, just in case.. (we don't want to make them think they won't ever stand a chance of getting picked from the pool, if they are in Trades)
I agree, post edited above to reflect numbers based on a CEC and/or FSW application.