British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   At what stage do i get my IEC visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/what-stage-do-i-get-my-iec-visa-902717/)

scrubbedexpat075 Aug 31st 2017 1:16 pm

At what stage do i get my IEC visa?

I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer, i've searched this forum and google but not found anyone with the same situation as me.

I have a connecting flight Gatwick > Calgary > Vancouver, the whole flight is through Westjet and they've said i do not need to re-check the bags at Calgary as it's all the same company they sort it all, this is the bit that's different to others i've read because they've had to re check there bags so they go through the process again meaning they'll do the visa process at the first Canadian airport.

With a connecting flight like mine i assume i bypass all this and go straight to the next area? (I've only flown to Europe once on an hour flight so i have no idea!). Although i land in Calgary i technically won't leave the airport (as in collecting bags and re checking would be classed as leaving right?), so Vancouver would technically become the landing airport?

My concern is that my connection/layover is only 2 hours, which if i need to do it at Calgary then thats not enough time based on the experience i've read people have had getting their visas, they usually took between 1-2 hours.

Zoe Bell Aug 31st 2017 1:27 pm

Re: At what stage do i get my IEC visa?

I have no direct experience of Westjet but it is my understanding that you clear immigration at your first point of entry into Canada

glendem4 Aug 31st 2017 1:40 pm

You clear immigration at your first point of landing.

It's 2km between the International gates and domestic gates.

Check this page as WestJet passengers have frequently missed their connections. WestJet says passengers upset with Calgary airport connection travel times - Calgary | Globalnews.ca

glendem4 Aug 31st 2017 1:45 pm

Read https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...Departing.html

Connecting by air

If you will be transferring between international flights in Calgary, you should be aware that Calgary International Airport does not have a transit area that enables international passengers to circumvent Canadian immigration and customs procedures. Every passenger who lands in Calgary on a flight that originated outside of Canada has to go through Canadian immigration and customs. Not only do passengers have to clear immigration themselves, but they also have to retrieve their luggage and take it through customs before it can be forwarded to their onward flight.

Since it typically takes an hour or so to get through immigration and customs at Calgary International Airport, it seems prudent to ensure at least two hours for a connection

Engineer_abroad Aug 31st 2017 1:52 pm

As others have said Calgary has a separate set of gates for International and domestic flights. This means that you will arrive at the international gates in Calgary and will be directed to immigration in Calgary. In your case you will probably be referred to secondary to sort out and obtain your work permit. When you leave this area you will follow signs for Canadian domestic flights and once arriving in Vancouver will not pass through immigration again.

scrubbedexpat075 Aug 31st 2017 2:23 pm

Holy s*** 2km walk?! So WestJet said i don't need to re-check my bags but from what you guys are saying it sounds like I will need to? So i'll need to do a 2km walk with hand luggage, a suitcase and a snowboard bag! that's going to be interesting...

I'm definitely going to need to change one of the flights then, if we're talking 25 minute walk just to get to the area plus 1-2 hours for the visa and any other possible delays i'm going to need like a 4 hour connection at least. Nice of WestJet to warn me when i spoke to them... not.

Siouxie Aug 31st 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pinnacle (Post 12328626)
Holy s*** 2km walk?! So WestJet said i don't need to re-check my bags but from what you guys are saying it sounds like I will need to? So i'll need to do a 2km walk with hand luggage, a suitcase and a snowboard bag! that's going to be interesting...

I'm definitely going to need to change one of the flights then, if we're talking 25 minute walk just to get to the area plus 1-2 hours for the visa and any other possible delays i'm going to need like a 4 hour connection at least. Nice of WestJet to warn me when i spoke to them... not.

No, you don't have to walk - there's a shuttle :)

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/travelleri...tingatyyc.aspx

There's some useful links on the yyc website, including the FAQ's

5. When I arrive into Calgary, do I have to pick up my luggage if I am connecting to another flight?

YYC is the first airport in Canada to feature a Connections Centre. It facilitates passengers arriving from U.S. and international flights that are connecting to other U.S., international and Canadian destinations. Depending on your flight and airline, you may be permitted to proceed to your next flight without reclaiming your baggage or requiring further screening.

Please check with your airline for details.
Also, on the 'customs and immigration' link: https://www.yyc.com/en-us/travelleri...migration.aspx
After arriving at YYC, you will be need to process through Canada Customs before being granted entry into Canada. Follow the steps outlined below to make this process as seamless and simple as possible:

1. Please enter the correct queue according to your final destination:

If Calgary is your final destination, please follow the signs for “Calgary”.
If you are connecting to another destination, please follow signs for “Connections”.

2. Proceed to the first check point (“Primary Inspection”).

3. After passing the CBSA customs inspection, follow the signs to the baggage carousels.
But also see (5) above.. bit of a conflict of info there methinks.

:)

Vulcanoid Aug 31st 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pinnacle (Post 12328626)

Based on my experience landing at Vancouver as PR, with a connecting flight that was a WestJet through ticket, you need do nothing with your baggage until your final destination; they can check then through. You will however certainly have to do immigration, and get your work permit, at Calgary, your first point of entry. If there are any concerns about your baggage (eg randomly selected to see what you're bringing through) I presume they will be retrieved from WJ, in which case you probably would need to recheck them.

Former Lancastrian Aug 31st 2017 10:10 pm

Normally with onward flights with Westjet you would collect your bags at the 1st Canadian airport and clear Customs. You then put the bags on a connector belt for onward travel to the final destination. After you have cleared Customs you then recheck in minus bags at the Westjet check in desks.

CanadianSpruce Sep 2nd 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12329027)
Normally with onward flights with Westjet you would collect your bags at the 1st Canadian airport and clear Customs. You then put the bags on a connector belt for onward travel to the final destination. After you have cleared Customs you then recheck in minus bags at the Westjet check in desks.

I believe YYC is the one exception for WestJet (makes sense as its their main hub), as long as it comes from one of the approved countries baggage goes straight through to the destination. You also don't need to reclear security either.

Vulcanoid Sep 2nd 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce (Post 12329749)
I believe YYC is the one exception for WestJet (makes sense as its their main hub), as long as it comes from one of the approved countries baggage goes straight through to the destination. You also don't need to reclear security either.

Half of that for Vancouver - passengers had to go through security again (x-ray, metal detector), but didn't see/touch baggage between Gatwick and Kelowna.

Former Lancastrian Sep 2nd 2017 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce (Post 12329749)

So how do Customs check your bags and where necessary examine them?
They certainly won't be doing it in Vancouver as its a domestic flight unless they are using a split flight where they clear Customs at both airports. This is normally only done for charter flights arriving back from sun destinations during winter.