Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What should I do? Any advice/experience/thoughts welcomed!

What should I do? Any advice/experience/thoughts welcomed!

Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough
Default What should I do? Any advice/experience/thoughts welcomed!

With all the talk of a raise in the passmark, the floating passmark rule, I have decided it is probably in my interests to increase my proficiency in French to moderate and claim for more points.... (currently I am not claiming anything mainly because I am rusty and achieved the pass mark of 67).

I've had a few helpful replies (found here)but would like some further input before I go ahead with my application.

Do I...

a) apply with 67 points now, take a course to brush up on and then improve French and then modify my application
b) apply with 75 points claiming for moderate proficiency in French and then take course and so on.
c) apply after I have the TEF certificate in my hands and submit this with my application.

My indecision about what is the best thing to do is mainly because I don't know which of these you can do, so if some of them aren't possible then if you can tell me that I'll be getting nearer to making a decision about my next move. Also that things tend to fall out of my head quite quickly if I don't use them and the TEF certificate is only valid for 1 year means if I have to submit it, I would prefer to do it when it is going to be valid rather than now.

Merci de l'avenir,

Muncles
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I do? Any advice/experience/thoughts welcomed!

Originally Posted by Muncles
Do I...

a) apply with 67 points now, take a course to brush up on and then improve French and then modify my application
b) apply with 75 points claiming for moderate proficiency in French and then take course and so on.
c) apply after I have the TEF certificate in my hands and submit this with my application.

Apply now based on what you have now, submit further documentation as its available to support burgeoning french ability.

You cannot claim points you dont yet have based on what you expect to happen, and there is no point waiting as its a long enough wait as it is. You are qualified to apply now, so apply now.

FWIW there has been talk here for years of points increasing, but its not happened yet. No guarantee it ever will. Its just as likely the whole points system could be totaly revamped, so dont worry about what you have no control over.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

I agree with Iaink... get your application in now and get in the queue. The wait is going to be long enough without delaying unnecessarily. You'll have a couple of years to add to your application before it is looked at so study the French, take the test and then send the results in.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the TEF

Kaz x
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
I agree with Iaink... get your application in now and get in the queue. The wait is going to be long enough without delaying unnecessarily. You'll have a couple of years to add to your application before it is looked at so study the French, take the test and then send the results in.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the TEF

Kaz x
Thanks for your replies. I will take you up on the PM in future Kaz. I'll add you to my buddy list.