What are my options?

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:25 am
Just Joined

RezUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are my options?

Good Afternoon all,

In November 2013, I went to Canada on a Working Holiday visa - Back then, the visas lasted 12 months only, with the opportunity to reapply and get another 12 months after that. The original plan was to stay for 6 months and see how I got on. I ended up applying for the second year and stayed for the whole 24 months.

So I've been back in the UK now since November 2015, and often look back at my time in Canada as a life changing and positive experience.

Although I am happy back in the UK, I often get asked whether I would go back - And my answer is usually always "If I got a chance to live there, I would move in a flash".

My question is... Hypothetically, if I wanted to up and move to Canada permanently, what options do I have?

Some quick information about me:
I'm male, 29 years old and have an Electrical & Electronic Engineering qualification. When I was in Canada for two years, I worked at a hotel and worked my way up - They eventually asked if I was interested in making my move permanent, and I asked them to look into it for me - They came back and told me it wouldn't likely be possible, and I never really pushed it very hard as I was looking forward to going back regardless.

Any help or advice you could give would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Rez
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my options?

Start with the eligibility test on the CIC website - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Once you've worked out if there is a visa route you are eligible for, we can help you further.

HTH.

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Hi Christmasoompa

After doing that it says:

Express Entry

You might be eligible for Express Entry, which includes the following federal economic immigration programs:
  • the Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • the Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • the Canadian Experience Class
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 2:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RezUK
Hi Christmasoompa

After doing that it says:Express Entry

You might be eligible for Express Entry, which includes the following federal economic immigration programs:
  • the Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • the Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • the Canadian Experience Class
Fab, that's a good start. That means you're eligible as a Federal Skilled Worker, or possibly FST if you are an electrician? Sorry, not sure what your qualification means and if that makes you an electrician or something else!

As a FSW or FST, you can apply to enter the Express Entry 'pool' of applicants. Once in the pool, those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for Permanent Residency. So the next step is to check your CRS score, which you can do here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Bear in mind that only academic qualifications count for points purposes, so depending on what your qualification was, it may not be worth anything - i.e. if it was an NVQ rather than a degree.

Points wise, you'll need to be above approx 450 to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR as a FSW, less as a FST.

So work out your points and let us know your actual occupation and hopefully we can help you further.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:05 am
Just Joined

I probably should have given more information in my OP, so apologies!

I can't be classed as an Electrician, more so "Electrically competent".

I have an NVQ 2 and 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, and my current engineering job involved a 4 year apprenticeship which included electrical/plumbing/gas. In the two years I was in Canada on my WHV, I spent 18 months of it working at a hotel as a Maintenance Rep - After working there for about 8 months, they made me Maintenance Manager.

I just quickly did the CRS tool and got 519 points. But it's rough, as I haven't yet looked through the jobs and seen if I am definitely covered under it - Also I told them I have taken a language test, which I haven't (I was born in UK and speak/write English, but don't have any other languages).

I guess the closest job I can really find is:

0714 Facility operation and maintenance managers

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That's a crazy high score, are you absolutely sure about that? Can you break it down for us? Do say yes to the English exam, that's the right thing to do - assume max points for now as a native speaker.

Your NOC is eligible for the FST program which is good, as the points threshold is lower - although if your points score is definitely right, then no need to worry anyway!