What are my options

Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are my options

Hello, I am a British citizen. I have been working in IT for over 11 years for many large companies; I have MSc and BSc degree in the same field in addition to some 14+ international IT certificates. I am married with 2 kids. I have little money to be an investor but I can work as a contractor or self employed if the opportunities are there. What are my options to get a work visa or a visa which can lead to PR in Canada? What are my options to immigrate. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:42 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my options

Read the wiki about work permits, FSW, and TWP. Once you've read it we can help you out with more specific questions you may have.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Read the wiki about work permits, FSW, and TWP. Once you've read it we can help you out with more specific questions you may have.
I just did, thank you. Looks like IT isnt one of the list of occupations which are deemed in demand which I guess leaves me with the option of applying for jobs in Canada. I am aware IT is quite diverse but what are my chances in getting a job particularily in this economic climate? Are there any websites you are aware of which I could check out? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by red_onion; Feb 11th 2013 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:32 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

You can still try to get an employer to apply for an LMO for you but, as you said, IT jobs are not particularly in demand, and I would be surprised if there were major issues filling those jobs with Canadian labour. You might have some luck trying for IT Consulting jobs, sometimes some of the Consulting companies (including the Big 4) are able to get LMOs, though I'm only speculating based on what I know of my work industry and experience with Consulting - you might get lucky, would be worth looking into.

For job postings, I think workopolis and monster.ca are big in Canada, though LinkedIn seems to be more and more popular with job postings etc. I'm currently in the UK so my knowledge of Canadian job hunting is rusty!