What are my options?

Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice
Default What are my options?

Hey,

So I'm here in Toronto on an IEC permit that runs out in July of this year. I have my application in for a second permit so all going to plan I can stay here until July 2013 but what I need help with is my options after that. (Nothing like being prepared! )

Ideally I would like to stay here in Toronto, I have a life here now and I love it. I currently work as an assistant public relations manager at a small independent music promotions company. I have searched the NOC list and discovered that this describes my duties pretty well (1123) -http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=1&val1=1123&val65=*

Could I potentially apply for an LMO or no? The thing with the job is that it doesn't pay big bucks which I fear may be a big problem. I have a BA honours degree in Commercial Music which is directly related to the job I do. I've read so much information that I'm 100% confused about what my options are to try and stay here. Am I right in understanding that once I've had 3 years Canadian work experience I can apply for PR?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my options?

Three options from what you've said - one, get your employer to apply for the LMO (it's not something you can apply for), they will need to pay you market rate to get a positive LMO though. You can then get a 'normal' TWP to extend your stay and also use it to apply for PR as FSW (cat 2).

Two, apply for CEC once you've got two year's skilled work experience (it's not three years).

Three, apply for PR under the PNP.

And don't delay if you want to go down the LMO route, as they are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, so that doesn't give you much time to sort it before July, especially if there is a query about your salary.

Hope that helps.

Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Three options from what you've said - one, get your employer to apply for the LMO (it's not something you can apply for), they will need to pay you market rate to get a positive LMO though. You can then get a 'normal' TWP to extend your stay and also use it to apply for PR as FSW (cat 2).

Two, apply for CEC once you've got two year's skilled work experience (it's not three years).

Three, apply for PR under the PNP.

And don't delay if you want to go down the LMO route, as they are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, so that doesn't give you much time to sort it before July, especially if there is a query about your salary.

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for the reply! I feel option one might be my best bet? Am I correct in thinking that my NOC needs to be on the list in July to be able to apply for FSW PR?

I wasn't aware that Ontario had a PNP route?

If my new application for IEC goes through (no real reason why it shouldn't!) I will be able to stay until July 2013 so I have another 17 or so months left with that. Could I have my employer apply for an LMO for me at this time next year and use it to apply for FSW PR then or do I run the risk of my occupation being capped by then? If it's even on the list that is.

Like I said, I've read so much information that I'm thoroughly confused so I apologise if I'm mixing up my "facts"!

Thanks again, you've been most helpful!

p.s. How do I find out what the going rate for my NOC is? I've had a look on the website that was provided in another topic but I can't seem to actually locate anything that indicates what my wage should be.

Last edited by Third6; Mar 5th 2012 at 4:02 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
Thanks very much for the reply! I feel option one might be my best bet? Am I correct in thinking that my NOC needs to be on the list in July to be able to apply for FSW PR?
Nope - remember there are two categories for FSW. For FSW cat 1 ('the list' of 29) your job would need to be on there, but for FSW cat 2 ('arranged employment') you just need a skilled job offer approved by HRSDC.

I wasn't aware that Ontario had a PNP route?
Yes, it does, and may well have a way of you applying for PR - you'd need to check the streams to see if you are eligible for any of them.

If my new application for IEC goes through (no real reason why it shouldn't!) I will be able to stay until July 2013 so I have another 17 or so months left with that. Could I have my employer apply for an LMO for me at this time next year and use it to apply for FSW PR then or do I run the risk of my occupation being capped by then? If it's even on the list that is.
As above, 'the list' won't be applicable anyway as you'd be doing a FSW cat 2 application. And for that there is no cap either, so that doesn't matter.

Personally, I'd apply for the next IEC visa, but either apply for PR via the PNP or get a LMO application in asap (in case it takes a few goes to get a positive), and apply for PR as FSW cat 2 asap. PR will take around a year anyway, so better to get cracking on that asap if you are sure you want to stay long term.

Good luck.

Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are an actual angel! You've given me so much hope of staying here! Thank you very very much!

Looks like I have some more reading to do.

Thanks again!!