Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What are my chances of application

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

mira is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are my chances of application

Education : I have both a diploma(3 years) and a degree(1year full-time). Both are recognized from commonwealth country. A Diploma gives 22 points. A Degree gives 20. I have both, I have to state them all? Usually will the higher point be awarded?

Language, I’m getting English as the main language with a total of 16 points. For French, I studied and took test in the school for about 3 years, I may take the French test, looking at ‘moderate’. Being optimistic, I target around 8. Total 24.

Experience . Between 3-4 years, ~19-21 points

For arranged employment, how do I find one? I’m doing computer programming, mostly Internet e-commerce development.

Other questions:
Under education, it says I need
1) Original Transcript in university-sealed envelopes
Does anyone who applied before submit this or use photocopies.. notarized?

2) Reference letter from employer. If cannot provide reference, provide a written explanation.
Does anyone who applied before hand in this?
I only have the appointment letter, how do I explain the reference letter?

Would appreciate your replies. Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 10:20 am
Yj Yap

Default Re: What are my chances of application

mira <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > What are my chances of application
    >
    > Education : I have both a diploma(3 years) and a degree(1year full-time). Both are
    > recognized from commonwealth country. A Diploma gives 22 points. A Degree gives 20.
    > I have both, I have to state them all? Usually will the higher point be awarded?

Well regarding the education points, you have to read the requirements
carefully...u must have a certain level of degree AND number of years of education
to earn the points.

>
    > Language, I'm getting English as the main language with a total of 16 points. For
    > French, I studied and took test in the school for about 3 years, I may take the
    > French test, looking at ‘moderate'. Being optimistic, I target around 8. Total 24.
    >
    > Experience . Between 3-4 years, ~19-21 points
    >
    > Age : 10 points
    >
    > For arranged employment, how do I find one? I'm doing computer programming, mostly
    > Internet e-commerce development.

> Other questions: Under education, it says I need
    > 1) Original Transcript in university-sealed envelopes Does anyone who applied
    > before submit this or use photocopies.. notarized?

Send your transcript in a sealed evelope by your university/college. This is a new
requirement after June 28.

> 2) Reference letter from employer. If cannot provide reference, provide a written
    > explanation. Does anyone who applied before hand in this? I only have the
    > appointment letter, how do I explain the reference letter?

You've been working for 3 years now...surely your employer would be kind enough to
provide you with a letter of reference? Unless there is a special reason for that.

> Would appreciate your replies. Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

mb_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mira

2) Reference letter from employer. If cannot provide reference, provide a written explanation.
Does anyone who applied before hand in this?
I only have the appointment letter, how do I explain the reference letter?
You can advise your employer that you wish to undertake a postgraduate course that requires x number of years experience. Tell your employer that the University requires a detailed job description from your employer including periods of employment. To make it sound more believable tell them that it's just confirmation of your role and you do not need praise. (If you ask them to praise your efforts they may think you require it for another job).

Mike...
Old Jul 24th 2002, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

mira is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I'm now trying to gather all the stuffs needed for application. It seems more complicated as I read further.

>>Well regarding the education points, you have to read the requirements carefully...u must have a certain level of degree AND number of years of education to earn the points.

My first one is diploma then degree. After my diploma, I have 15 years of study. Then I took part time degree for about 2 years. So I was wondering do they usually take the higher point since they value the diploma more than the degree.

>>surely your employer would be kind enough to
provide you with a letter of reference? Unless there is a special reason for that.

I realised there is only about 3-3.5 years of job experience. so 19 points... seez..
I don't know how to ask, what will the employer think? But I'll try the method suggested by Mike.

I still think having an arranged employment or work experience in canada will be better.. (or work there on a work permit basis first) .. are there any recommendation for IT job agencies I can go to?

Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2002, 4:21 pm
Klmok

On 23 Jul 2002 13:21:08 GMT, mira <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >2) Reference letter from employer. If cannot provide reference, provide a written
    > explanation. Does anyone who applied before hand in this? I only have the
    > appointment letter, how do I explain the reference letter?
    >
Don't know about the other questions. On employment, photocopies of your pay slips
along with any employer evaluations plus an explanation why you do not want to
jeapordize your current employment by asking for a reference, will probably swing it.