Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What makes the most sense for 1 or 2 years?

Wikiposts

What makes the most sense for 1 or 2 years?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:48 am
Account Closed

JenniferChristine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What makes the most sense for 1 or 2 years?

I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is an American citizen. We would like to live together in Canada for 1 or 2 years before getting moving permanently to the United States. What is the most logical route to take to get him working legally in Canada?
He has an undergraduate degree and graduated from university in May of 2007. He did all four years of university in Canada. Since graduation, he spent 3 months working as a camp counsellor/youth services type job, then spent 4 months working as a field co-ordinator on a presidential campaign. Now he is working in a managerial position at a ski rental shop and as security at a night club.
He would be willing to do any job for which he could get a work permit in Canada. What is the best idea for us?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What makes the most sense for 1 or 2 years?

Most logical and easiest route would have been him getting 1 or 2 years post-graduate work permit within 90 days from his graduation notice. But now it is too late, he missed the boat for no logical reason.

Now he needs to find the job offer and employer willing to go through the Labor Market Opinion application process.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

JenniferChristine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Most logical and easiest route would have been him getting 1 or 2 years post-graduate work permit within 90 days from his graduation notice. But now it is too late, he missed the boat for no logical reason.

Now he needs to find the job offer and employer willing to go through the Labor Market Opinion application process.
Would this be to get a Temporary Work Permit?

I've heard that certain jobs/provinces (for instance, Alberta) are somewhat less scrutinized by the LMO because of a lack of workers. Is this true?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:03 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniferChristine
Would this be to get a Temporary Work Permit?

I've heard that certain jobs/provinces (for instance, Alberta) are somewhat less scrutinized by the LMO because of a lack of workers. Is this true?
Yes and no.

Yes in theory, and often no in practice.

If a person belongs to an Occupation Under Pressure, it's supposed to speed up the LMO. But there are some members of this forum who belong to OUPs, and who have recently arrived in Alberta after taking six months to get to Canada. In their cases, their OUP status didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

There's a thread around the forum somewhere (can't remember if it's in the Immigration forum or the main Canada forum) about a very recent government initiative that supposedly will speed up TWPs for certain occupations. Perhaps the initiative is worth the paper it's written on. My attitude to most of Citizenship and Immigration Canada's pronouncements is, "We'll see."