Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What happens when you land at pearson with your visa?

What happens when you land at pearson with your visa?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default What happens when you land at pearson with your visa?

Got my visa now so packing and sorting out last bits I may be landing in Toronto just before Xmas.

My question what happens when you land?

1. I assume you line up in the normal way and show you landing card and passport (just like if you a visitor) do I then tell the person I'm landing forever?

2. Or do I use a different Q, not noticed any other before.

3. I assume I will be interviewed what happens to your luggage will it go around the carrousel for ages or are you allowed to collect it before the interview?

Worried someone may take my case or another flight will come in.

Cheers

Ray
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens when you land at pearson with your visa?

Hi

Originally Posted by Raymate
Got my visa now so packing and sorting out last bits I may be landing in Toronto just before Xmas.

My question what happens when you land?

1. I assume you line up in the normal way and show you landing card and passport (just like if you a visitor) do I then tell the person I'm landing forever?

2. Or do I use a different Q, not noticed any other before.

3. I assume I will be interviewed what happens to your luggage will it go around the carrousel for ages or are you allowed to collect it before the interview?

Worried someone may take my case or another flight will come in.

Cheers

Ray
1. You arrive at the customs both, tell them you are landing, they will then direct you to Immigration. You can pick up your luggage on the way to Immigration. You get "landed". You then take your you luggage and your Goods to Follow and Accompanying to customs secondary, where you present your 2 lists. Thats it.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

KatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really nice

Chris (cneldred) landed earlier this week and posted about it:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488703

this will be us on November 14th or 15th

andrew
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:02 am
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Here is our experience. last March.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...Tam+Kilmarnock
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KatyM
Chris (cneldred) landed earlier this week and posted about it:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488703

this will be us on November 14th or 15th

andrew
Agreed.

Just as Chris described only we did arrive on a Saturday evening and we got through in 20 minutes. Perhaps we just got lucky with flights / timing and the fact it was Thanksgiving weekend and everyone else was thinking about eating turkey.

A bit of an anti-climax really. It does pay to have everything ready to hand.

Still, the bonus was that we spent Thanksgiving at Grand Bend, on the beach in 33 degrees celcius sunshine. Cool, eh?

Been here 3 weeks now and wondering why we lived in the UK so long.

Simon & Laura
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:49 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We landed last Tuesday afternoon in TO. We already live in NS on WP so went on vacation to Orlando so we could officially land as PRs. Therefore, we came off a USA flight and there was no queue at customs.

Showed custom's guy our declaration card then was directed to Immigration. Spent around 20 minutes or so there. We didn't have to show Goods to Follow etc as we had done that back in Jan 07 when we first moved here. We were then handed our PR papers which we use until our PR cards get posted out to us.

We were then directed to the information table where a guy gives you paperwork on how to apply/renew SIN number/Health Cards/Child Benefit, plus some other booklets. He then welcomes you to Canada

We then had to collect our luggage which by that time was going around the carousel on its own. You then pass through more customs people and hand over your customs declaration card, which they keep.

You are now officially a Canadian Permanent Resident and walk out of the airport with your head held high with a big grin on your face (and left wondering why there is no band striking up 'Oh Canada' for you)

PS Don't forget to pack your duty free liquids in your suitcase if you are heading off on an internal flight - if you don't you will lose it due to 'no carrying of liquids in hand luggage' rule.

Last edited by Cookie; Oct 29th 2007 at 9:52 am.