Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

what happens when the 12k runs out

what happens when the 12k runs out

Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:14 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: what happens when the 12k runs out

Hipster Contrarian

It was just a general comment - not specific to anyone. It's just that you hear this all the time from people who aren't here and think that life is easy for everyone once they arrive. It isn't - some people have a very tough time in establishing themselves, I know a few and they went through hell initially. All well-qualified people with years of experience and no-one would give them a break. Thankfully they are all in employment now, but that first year for them was difficult.

I agree with you that people shouldn't come here and expect handouts, however it may become a fact of life for any one of us if things go pear-shaped. We all hope that it won't, but the reality is that it could !!!

We came over here with a seriously significant sum of money but it is incredible just how quickly you can get through it! $12,000 is a pathetic amount of money and a completely unrealistic amount if you have to live on it, however not all people have the luxury of bringing huge sums of money to Canada. I personally would never even considered immigrating if I only had the minimum amount, but each to their own, we don't know each others circumstances.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:20 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

I guess if you're moving to a small town rather than a big city, that money will go MUCH further, too.

It's horrible not knowing how much is 'enough'. Added to which, however much money you've got, a year or more of failed job searches would really grind you down. I can feel the grey hairs sprouting!

(Should that be 'gray' ?)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:21 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
I hope I didn't come across as cocky, sorry. I am personally cacking myself about whether we'll ever have enough money to do this (see my thread on the subject), but I did still take issue with the idea that if you choose to move to Canada, they are somehow obliged to provide you with cash. That would be great, but there would be nobody left in Britain if it were true !

At today's rate, $12,000 is about £5,577- what's that, maybe 3 months' money if you're lucky? I definitely wouldn't emigrate with only that much, especially if the job situation is as we are led to believe, i.e. dire. WAY too much stress!
Agreed. If we got in, which I dont think we will, we would be taking £150k over and using £40k to live on for a year or so whilst looking for work.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:02 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I guess if you're moving to a small town rather than a big city, that money will go MUCH further, too.

It's horrible not knowing how much is 'enough'. Added to which, however much money you've got, a year or more of failed job searches would really grind you down. I can feel the grey hairs sprouting!

(Should that be 'gray' ?)
The money may go much further if you move to a small town instead of a city ....... however it will need to because the work situation is slimmer on the ground in the country.

Don't worry too much, but just be aware that it isn't quite as easy as some may think.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:04 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

I don't think I've given any indication that I think it'll be easy- quite the reverse, surely ? I'm under no illusions, hence all the stress!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

hey i just wanted you to know that I'm sponsoring my husband to come to Canada and we've a two year old and all the cash we're taking is around £6000 if we had a house to sell or a big wad from a high paying job then we would take more but this cash has been saved from extra jobs and car boot sales and good old ebay. i think we will do just fine till i/we get a job also we're lucky as we have family to stay with when we get there i think if you take a low amount of cash that's fine but you will have to be prepared to get any job to start with as really it's only a safety net
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:07 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

I won't have a great deal either and am thoroughly envious of people with houses to sell! That would be great.

Does anybody know if it's just the 'desirable' jobs that are hard to get, or all jobs? I mean, would it be fairly easy to pick up a waitressing job or work in a supermarket or something just to bring in some cash, or is that still really hard for immigrants?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

I won't have a great deal either and am thoroughly envious of people with houses to sell! That would be great.

Does anybody know if it's just the 'desirable' jobs that are hard to get, or all jobs? I mean, would it be fairly easy to pick up a waitressing job or work in a supermarket or something just to bring in some cash, or is that still really hard for immigrants?
hey I've looked in to this and made a few calls to job agencies in the Toronto area and I've been told that as long as your flexible with the times you want to work( don't go in to their office and say i want to work Mon-Fri 9-5) then it's not to bad the girl at Kelly's in Toronto also told me that it's its not that hard for us blue collar folks i think when they talk on this board about how hard it is to get a job well that's generally for those with big careers.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:00 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Thanks for that. To be honest, I would ideally like a 'big career' job (huh, well, maybe a medium one!), but I'm just wondering whether in the first couple of years over there I might just have to take something else in order to make ends meet. I'm also wondering about possibly doing another degree once I'm out there and if that would help at all, so it's good to know that there's work there by the sounds of it. Is there the usual sort of temping stuff, then (office work, supermarkets, etc.)?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

I hope I didn't come across as cocky, sorry. I am personally cacking myself about whether we'll ever have enough money to do this (see my thread on the subject), but I did still take issue with the idea that if you choose to move to Canada, they are somehow obliged to provide you with cash. That would be great, but there would be nobody left in Britain if it were true !

At today's rate, $12,000 is about £5,577- what's that, maybe 3 months' money if you're lucky? I definitely wouldn't emigrate with only that much, especially if the job situation is as we are led to believe, i.e. dire. WAY too much stress!
I think what my comrade is saying is that to the original poster, its not a free ride which will all know now,

but the comment that they are obliged to provide cash reminds me why the British government who pays out social to immigrants who have just come over and get free care without paying a dime and the rest of us are paying for it are one the main bug bears of most people!

12,000 is reasonable, what are you spending your money on for 3 months, its all down to planing from the date of your medicals you've got one year to land which once all gone through maybe looking at 6 months to a year plus the chance of coming back to Britain to finish the move!

Just remember the 7 Ps (Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance )

There are plenty of jobs out there over Canada but as explained in previous threads that some of these people who are iimmigrating with degrees worked in that trade for years expect to be on the same pay and level as they were in the UK, HELLO expect to change jobs and start earning a basic wage and re qualifiying until you've networked and apply for jobs you want Just because your an IT boffin in UK doesn't mean your gonna get a job straight away as a IT boffin

Or if your married go on holiday early while still working in UK for three weeks land leave the family there come back and work no its not easy I know ive done it and doing it till October paying for living here and the family living in Canada|
Even if you have to get a job as a admin person on a 11 dollars or 12 for forty hours a week straight away it will mean you have some income to cover it,

Yes I'm dreading having no job at first and only having 7k dollars when i land but i have a car,cheap rent bank account, the wife has a part time job! wors case it will laast us 7 months

everybody circumstances are different but you, we'vegot to work at it to make it work, maybe harder at first than in the UK, if thats what you want then there is ways to succeed
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:05 pm
2nd nation

deerfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to chose a destination that has good prospects before you move, so all the research you can do while waiting is good. The jobs are not in rural areas, really, but cities, (unless you want to work in a Manitoba hog barn-lots of openings there I am told) and I doubt if you would really save money living out in the couintry, as gas is not cheap any more.

Plenty of jobs in thriving economies like AB, not so good in rural Atlantic provinces, so chose where you move to carefully and visit first.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

One word Ladies and Gentlemen.

NETWORKING

I know youve heard it all before but it is the key to getting successful employment.

In canada alot of jobs are not in the paper or advistied, join the Church or clubs (NO NOT DRINKING ONES )

It also comes from within and taking a step back in your career, Yes in UK you might have been a high IT BOD but sadly you have to start at the bottom, that is a fact of emmigrating.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 1:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deerfoot
The jobs are not in rural areas, really,
Popular misconception #1 right there

Actually its perfectly possible to live in a rural area within an easy commute of a small city that has plenty of jobs. Of course "corporate" jobs are thin on the ground, but you have to remember the vast majority of new immigrants head straight to the BIG cities. Thats a lot of competition for burger flipping jobs.

In the smaller towns you are not just one face in a crowd of thousands, and that works in your advantage when the competition for jobs is high school students who dont know their arse from their elbow. Of course, networking is still a valid strategy, but in a small town it might be easier to do that than in a huge metropolis, teeming with immigrants all after the same thing. Wages in small towns might be lower, but not as much as you might think, and the lower cost of living more than compensates in many respects. The problem with agency jobs in TO and the like is that they are low paying, without benefits, and its not enought to cover the cost of living there unless you are lucky enough to be mortgageless.

To the poster who asked how hard casual work is to get...if there werent a lot of people looking for it, it would pay better The reality is some newcomers struggle to get any employment at all at first. No agency is going to tell you its hard to get a job...they are in the business of signing you up, the more people on their books, the more attractive they are to employers and the more contracts they land, which means more profit for them. So its in the agencies interest to make it sound like its no problem. For some people the reality is different. Others may walk into a good job with no great problems...everyones experience is different I suspect. Unemployment stays stubbornly near 7%

Last edited by iaink; Sep 3rd 2005 at 1:23 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by firefox
Hi all,
What happens when the money you need to bring with you runs out.dose it have to last a set time.ie 3 6 months
Andrew
If you have entered Canada and have your SIN, then you will find Part Time easy to get as the Brits are a favoured bunch, then build on that into Full Time in what ever field.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

Pppppp