Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What happens if you can't get a police check done for a sponsorship application?

Wikiposts

What happens if you can't get a police check done for a sponsorship application?

Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

maluman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What happens if you can't get a police check done for a sponsorship application?

I have a lovely Canadian wife who is sponsoring me to go to Canada and we have two dual nationality children. Her sponsorship credentials have been approved and now my PR is being processed in London. Here is my problem.

I have been asked by the Canadian London HC to get a police check for a country in which I spent 1 year in after my university degree. I was told by the authority of the country in question to 'see if I know someone in the police headquarters' if I want it processed as otherwise it may take a very very long time ( I am not resident, I had numerous addresses whilst there and there are no timelines for processing these thing).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as my PR application may be closed if they dont hear back with a police clearance certificate within 60 days. I have emailed the Canadian High Commision in London but I am unaware of any way to speak to someone assessing my case.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:19 am
OB1
Just Joined

OB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens if you can't get a police check done for a sponsorship application?

Maluman, I seem to be living a parallel life somewhat! I too have a Canadian wife (also lovely) and dual nationality kids. After sending the sponsor / PR application in they asked me to provide a police certificate for Australia. I initially didn't think I'd need to provide one as I was backpacking whilst there which i thought wasn't really residing! They also said i had to respond in the same amount of time. The certificate took twice as long as expected due to problems with the payment and in all probably overexceeded the time limits to reply but I did send in some emails updating them on the progress of the certificate and this seemed to keep things ticking over until it came in. I don't know for sure but I imagine they cancel your application after 60 days if they don't hear anything but I guess as long as you communicate with them you should be ok. Don't expect replies to all emails though! The police certificate scenario was a complete pain in the arse but on the positive side last week they requested my passport for the pr which was 3 to 4 weeks after I sent them the police certificate. Good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice
Default Re: What happens if you can't get a police check done for a sponsorship application?

I'm in the same boat, although out of all the countries I have lived in they only asked for my NZ one. Go figure.
Anyway, I couldn't apply for it till it my application was in progress (although they have just changed the form so you can now do it anytime). I was given the 60 day notice on the 24th of August, so I sent off my letter to NZ requesting the police clearance. Just hope they get it to London in time.
Which country do you need the police clearance for?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your replies. I have actually been waiting 3 months so far for the police check from Sri Lanka which I applied for before London HC requested them. I have had police checks from Germany and the UK which all arrived within 4 weeks of my application for them so it is so frustrating to wait for one which I worry may never turn up.

Can I ask if you ever got any acknowledgment from the Canadian High Commission for emails that were sent apart from the automatic one?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:33 am
OB1
Just Joined

OB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they replied to one but after that nothing.

They didn't even reply when we asked them to clarify what form they wanted after they requested us to fill in a certain form by email and they had quoted an incorrect wrong form number!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Just to update this thread - after much pushing at the Sri Lankan end by friends / family in person , I got the police clearance 2 weeks ago. CIC wrote to me today with the passport request.

Thanks for all the help given .
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by maluman
Just to update this thread - after much pushing at the Sri Lankan end by friends / family in person , I got the police clearance 2 weeks ago. CIC wrote to me today with the passport request.

Thanks for all the help given .
Bet that's a relief - well done mate.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when people take the time to come back and update on how things have gone - thanks for that and well done