British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   What Happens After IEC/Working Holiday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/what-happens-after-iec-working-holiday-921264/)

AmazingBlue Jan 21st 2019 4:38 pm

What Happens After IEC/Working Holiday?

Hi Guys, Newbie here.

I just started my second year on the IEC Visa and I kinda like it here. So I was gonna ask about What my next plan of action is so that i can stay and ask about how easy/ hard it will be for a guy in my situation. I tried looking for info online and everything seems quite vague or littered with legal jargon.

So what did you guys do after your 2 years were up? I know that you have to have 12 months experience working in Canada and I'm reaching that at the end of this month if that helps.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Blue.

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2019 4:42 pm

Re: What Happens After IEC/Working Holiday?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue (Post 12625038)
Hi Guys, Newbie here.

I just started my second year on the IEC Visa and I kinda like it here. So I was gonna ask about What my next plan of action is so that i can stay and ask about how easy/ hard it will be for a guy in my situation. I tried looking for info online and everything seems quite vague or littered with legal jargon.

So what did you guys do after your 2 years were up? I know that you have to have 12 months experience working in Canada and I'm reaching that at the end of this month if that helps.

Blue.

You don't need to have spent a year working in Canada to qualify for PR - lots of people apply from the UK or elsewhere in the world. Without knowing lots more about you i.e. your job, province, education level, etc, it's hard to say which of the 50+ visa routes to PR you may qualify for.

Start with the eligibility questionnaire on the CIC website and then hopefully we can help you figure it out further - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

And last thing I would say is don't delay! If you're already in the second year of your IEC you need to get cracking if you want PR before it expires.

HTH.

AmazingBlue Jan 21st 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for your response. Apparently there is some kind of English test i need to take. And what is the quickest route to getting residency?

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue (Post 12625057)
Thanks for your response. Apparently there is some kind of English test i need to take. And what is the quickest route to getting residency?

You may need to take an English exam before being able to apply, but it depends on the route to PR you go down. And the quickest route would be Express Entry if you're eligible and scoring enough (which will mean taking the language exam), but take the test above and let us know what it says, we can then help you work out if that is an option or not.

AmazingBlue Jan 21st 2019 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12625062)
You may need to take an English exam before being able to apply, but it depends on the route to PR you go down. And the quickest route would be Express Entry if you're eligible and scoring enough (which will mean taking the language exam), but take the test above and let us know what it says, we can then help you work out if that is an option or not.

I took the questionnaire but as i haven't taken the English test, it can't give a definitive answer. However, it did say i would most likely be eligible for Express Entry. How easy are these English tests and would i need serious prep?

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue (Post 12625205)
I took the questionnaire but as i haven't taken the English test, it can't give a definitive answer. However, it did say i would most likely be eligible for Express Entry. How easy are these English tests and would i need serious prep?

Just say you've taken it and then see what it says. Essentially, what you need to know is if you are eligible to enter the Express Entry pool. Once you know that, you then need to check your CRS score - you'll usually need to be scoring above approx 450 as a rough guide, you can check that using this test - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

The exams aren't hard if you're a native speaker, but a bit of practice is a good idea just to get you used to the format of the test.

AmazingBlue Jan 21st 2019 10:27 pm

Nice. I took the test and it said i would get a 482 provided i get top scores on the IELTS

christmasoompa Jan 22nd 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue (Post 12625208)
Nice. I took the test and it said i would get a 482 provided i get top scores on the IELTS

Fab. That's what being young does for you! So get cracking, book your IELTS, get your ECA and get in to the EE pools as soon as you can. Do look in to processing times for the ECA agencies, they can vary massively - WES is usually the quickest but double check each before sending your degree/certs off to be assessed. Remember that only academic qualifications count, so if you have others i.e. professional or vocational qualifications, there's no point in faffing around with those. Hopefully by about March you'll have those docs and be ready to apply.

Once you've in the pool, with a score that high, you should get an ITA in the next round so fingers crossed you should get PR before your IEC expires.

Good luck!

Siouxie Jan 22nd 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue (Post 12625038)
Hi Guys, Newbie here.

Blue.

What is it you do for a living?

;)