Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What does approval in principal allow you to do?

What does approval in principal allow you to do?

Old Nov 21st 2001, 8:19 am
John Bissada

Hi all,

I have a question I hope some of you knowledgable people may be able to answer.

I am a Canadian citizen who recently married an Australian citizen in Canada. My wife
and I submited an inland application for me to sponsor her. I understand that if
everything goes well, it takes about 3 months to receive an approval in principal,
and then another 10 months or so for her to become a resident.

My question is what will she be able to do once we get the approval in principal.
Specifically, will she be able to:

1) get a working permit without having an existing job offer
2) receive health coverage
3) be able to leave the country (we'd like to go to Australia over Christmas) and be
guarantied to be permited back in.

I suspect that we may have to wait until she becomes a resident for these things, but
I hope I'm mistaken.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards, John

Old Nov 21st 2001, 8:23 am
Mad_caddie

>

Yes, if you can get one quick enough. 30 days is a guideline. I wiated 12 weeks for
the first one and now I have to wait till february 4th for an extension. Almost 6
months, sounds very promising doesn't it. (I am from Belgium)

>

No, but I can only speak of the NWT

>
    >

A work permit should suffice for re-entry without any problems but things do happen.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 21st 2001, 11:39 am
Rajeev

As long as one has a visitor visa valid, one can leave. I have EA till oct 2002 but
my visitor visa expires in jan 2001. I can leave but have to apply for visitor visa
outside canada to come back in. AIP also says there is no guarantee if u leave canada
, u will be allowed inside again. I beleive its better to wait

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
her.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 21st 2001, 1:40 pm
B

I believe you can get a health card. At least in Ontario you can with AIP. I
did. You just take the approval letter down to the health office. In this case OHIP
office. They issue you a card and tell you that when you land, you have to come
back and get a new one. In the letter it may mention something about not
guaranteeing to be permitted to re-enter Canada if, while you are waiting for
landing, you leave Canada for a short trip or what ever. I would say it is best
to bite the bullet and not risk starting the whole process over again. Although,
I suppose in an emergency you could call the CIC and explain the situation.
They'd probably tell you that they can't guarantee anything and it would have to
be left to the discretion of the particular officer at the border whenever you
crossed. It's kind of a ridiculous thing, as in the states you can get advance
parole and travel outside for limited periods with the proper docs while
in-process, but Canada doesn't have that. As far as getting a work
authorization, go to the CIC website and take a look at tthe application. I
can't remember if you can just get blanket authorization to work or if you need
a job offer. Good luck.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
her.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 21st 2001, 2:06 pm
John Bissada

Thanks to all for the responses.

I guess we probably shouldn't risk leaving the country if there's a chance they won't
let her back in. It's going to break my in-laws hearts though. Do you guys think that
contacting my MP and asking for help would do any good? Probably not, but it may be
worth a shot.

Thanks again for all the help.

John

>
I
    >
    >
you
    >
something
    >
are
    >
would
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
thing,
    >
    >
that.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have a question I hope some of you knowledgable people may be able to answer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a Canadian citizen who recently married an Australian citizen in Canada. My[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wife and I submited an inland application for me to sponsor[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I understand that if everything goes well, it takes about 3 months to receive an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > approval in principal, and then another 10 months or so for[/usenetquote2]
her
[usenetquote2]> > to become a resident.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My question is what will she be able to do once we get the approval in principal.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Specifically, will she be able to:ro[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) get a working permit without having an existing job offer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) receive health coverage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3) be able to leave the country (we'd like to go to Australia over Christmas) and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > be guarantied to be permited back in.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I suspect that we may have to wait until she becomes a resident for[/usenetquote2]
these
[usenetquote2]> > things, but I hope I'm mistaken.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance for any and all help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards, John[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 21st 2001, 7:00 pm
Rajeev

Which health office did u goto. I heard that I have to take my medical and then I can
get temporary OHIP? or can I just go there, take my AIP and thats fine.

>
I
    >
    >
you
    >
something
    >
are
    >
would
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
thing,
    >
    >
that.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have a question I hope some of you knowledgable people may be able to answer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a Canadian citizen who recently married an Australian citizen in Canada. My[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wife and I submited an inland application for me to sponsor[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I understand that if everything goes well, it takes about 3 months to receive an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > approval in principal, and then another 10 months or so for[/usenetquote2]
her
[usenetquote2]> > to become a resident.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My question is what will she be able to do once we get the approval in principal.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Specifically, will she be able to:ro[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) get a working permit without having an existing job offer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) receive health coverage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3) be able to leave the country (we'd like to go to Australia over Christmas) and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > be guarantied to be permited back in.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I suspect that we may have to wait until she becomes a resident for[/usenetquote2]
these
[usenetquote2]> > things, but I hope I'm mistaken.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance for any and all help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards, John[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 2:27 am
B

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had already completed and passed my medical exam
and had received a letter from CIC to that effect. You take THAT letter in to the
health office. I went to Barrie OHIP. The letter I got came a couple of months after
I got AIP. I think if I had called CIC a few months after medicals (before AIP was
received) and queried about passing or not passing I could have gotten it sooner but
I'm not sure if you have to pass medicals AND get AIP before you get that letter.
Probably you do.

>
    >
thats
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I believe you can get a health card. At least in Ontario you can with[/usenetquote2]
AIP.
    >
[usenetquote2]> > did. You just take the approval letter down to the health office. In[/usenetquote2]
this
[usenetquote2]> > case OHIP office. They issue you a card and tell you that when you land,[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > have to come back and get a new one. In the letter it may mention[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > about not guaranteeing to be permitted to re-enter Canada if, while you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > waiting for landing, you leave Canada for a short trip or what ever. I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > say it is best to bite the bullet and not risk starting the whole[/usenetquote2]
process
[usenetquote2]> > over again. Although, I suppose in an emergency you could call the CIC[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > explain the situation. They'd probably tell you that they can't[/usenetquote2]
guarantee
[usenetquote2]> > anything and it would have to be left to the discretion of the[/usenetquote2]
particular
[usenetquote2]> > officer at the border whenever you crossed. It's kind of a ridiculous[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > as in the states you can get advance parole and travel outside for[/usenetquote2]
limited
[usenetquote2]> > periods with the proper docs while in-process, but Canada doesn't have[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > As far as getting a work authorization, go to the CIC website and take a look at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tthe application. I can't remember if you can just get blanket authorization to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > work or if you need a job offer. Good luck.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi all,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I have a question I hope some of you knowledgable people may be able[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > answer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am a Canadian citizen who recently married an Australian citizen in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My wife and I submited an inland application for me to sponsor[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > her.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I understand that if everything goes well, it takes about 3 months to receive[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > an approval in principal, and then another 10 months or so for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to become a resident.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > My question is what will she be able to do once we get the approval in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > principal. Specifically, will she be able to:ro[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1) get a working permit without having an existing job offer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) receive health coverage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3) be able to leave the country (we'd like to go to Australia over Christmas)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and be guarantied to be permited back in.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I suspect that we may have to wait until she becomes a resident for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > things, but I hope I'm mistaken.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks in advance for any and all help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Regards, John[/usenetquote2]