Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What to do while you're waiting for PR

What to do while you're waiting for PR

Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:02 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
thousandtrees's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 35
thousandtrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do while you're waiting for PR

My husband and I are applying outland for his PR and we are looking at a 6-9 month gap between the end of his work visa and when he can safely hope to have his COPR. What kinds of things have people here done to occupy their time?

We can see a few potential options:

1) We're currently in Canada. He can return to the UK and work over there for a while, but I can't leave my job and go with him, which would make this plan kind of a bummer.

2) He can stay here and do some kind of volunteer work to expand both his work experience and personal network, which might help him get a job later.

3) He can stay here try to do some kind of education. He could take Open University courses or something. He doesn't have a degree so it would be a good time, but how do we ever afford it? Does anyone know if he's allowed to take classes (not enrol in a programme, but take classes) while awaiting permanent residence? Some universities here will allow students to pay home fees if they're married to a Canadian but I don't know if he would need a student visa to go about undertaking part-time or non-enrolled studies, nor am I sure that it would be allowed whilst applying for PR, whether you got a student visa or not.

What did you do (or what are you currently doing) while you wait? it's a lot of time to fill and while we'll squeak by financially, I'm worried about my husband's state of mind if he doesn't have something to do.
thousandtrees is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:04 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,218
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

I'm assuming that extending his work permit isn't an option?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:09 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,887
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

Originally Posted by thousandtrees
My husband and I are applying outland for his PR and we are looking at a 6-9 month gap between the end of his work visa and when he can safely hope to have his COPR. What kinds of things have people here done to occupy their time?

We can see a few potential options:

1) We're currently in Canada. He can return to the UK and work over there for a while, but I can't leave my job and go with him, which would make this plan kind of a bummer.

2) He can stay here and do some kind of volunteer work to expand both his work experience and personal network, which might help him get a job later.

3) He can stay here try to do some kind of education. He could take Open University courses or something. He doesn't have a degree so it would be a good time, but how do we ever afford it? Does anyone know if he's allowed to take classes (not enrol in a programme, but take classes) while awaiting permanent residence? Some universities here will allow students to pay home fees if they're married to a Canadian but I don't know if he would need a student visa to go about undertaking part-time or non-enrolled studies, nor am I sure that it would be allowed whilst applying for PR, whether you got a student visa or not.

What did you do (or what are you currently doing) while you wait? it's a lot of time to fill and while we'll squeak by financially, I'm worried about my husband's state of mind if he doesn't have something to do.
He can take classes as long as they are less than 6 months in duration and meet other requirements as per this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:22 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
thousandtrees's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 35
thousandtrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm assuming that extending his work permit isn't an option?
Nawp. He's on an IEC permit right now.
thousandtrees is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:26 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
thousandtrees's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 35
thousandtrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
He can take classes as long as they are less than 6 months in duration and meet other requirements as per this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.

If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada
I'm hoping my reading of that is correct. Ryerson has a Continuing Education programme wherein if he was up for a heavy courseload, he could complete a certificate in five months, and because he's married to a Canadian, I THINK he would be eligible for an international fee exemption. It would cost a bit, but we think it would help his long-term job prospects. The catch is whether or not all six courses would be offered in the same semester. I'm guessing that taking multiple consecutive under-six-month courses would be considered gaming the system.
thousandtrees is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:32 am
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,218
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

Originally Posted by thousandtrees
Nawp. He's on an IEC permit right now.
Did he apply for another one, or is he already on his second?

If another IEC isn't possible, would his employer apply for a LMO for him so he could switch to a normal TWP and keep working?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:25 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
thousandtrees's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 35
thousandtrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did he apply for another one, or is he already on his second?

If another IEC isn't possible, would his employer apply for a LMO for him so he could switch to a normal TWP and keep working?
It is his second and I think an LMO is out of the question - he works in Starbucks at the moment. Last year he had a great job but the company folded due to mismanagement. It's a pity, because that one might have qualified for an LMO.
thousandtrees is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:19 am
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do while you're waiting for PR

He should ask HR department, I have heard that Starbucks have in the past got LMO's for people. Also, which Province are you in because there are low-skill pilot projects he may be able to apply to.
Siouxie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.