Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What do I need to start Work on Bunac?

What do I need to start Work on Bunac?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:34 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
canada_bound09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I need to start Work on Bunac?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering, if my Bunac application goes through ok, what will I need to do once I arrive in Canada before I start work? Do I need to do anything other than get my SIN?

I'll be staying with family, and my Canadian cousin thinks I should be able to get work in the same place as him, I only did Bunac to get the necessary visa. Is there anything else other than finding work and accomodation covered at the orientation once you arrive? I'm probably going to fly independently, as I can get it cheaper, and I don't need somewhere to stay my first night.

So, if I get my SIN number from a Service Canada, is there anything else I need before I start work, and is there anything that is done at the orientation that I couldn't do myself indenpendently?

canada_bound09 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 114
deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do I need to start Work on Bunac?


I'm going over on BUNAC in September.

As far as I know all you need to get on arrival is the SIN. The open work authorisation (which will be printed at immigration when you land) will need to be shown to employers to show you are legally permitted to work in Canada.

That and the SIN are all you need as far as I know!

deeb81 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 79
Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do I need to start Work on Bunac?

As regards things that you can probably do yourself that are covered in the orientation...probably nothing really, it was just useful when I went the first time to have SIN, bank account, mobile phone, etc sorted out at one time. When you get to immigration services at the airport they take the work authorisation letter off you and put a Visa in your passport as I remember. It mightn't be a bad idea to deliberately stay in a hostel for a few nights to meet folk even if you don't need to per se, but that's up to you.

You should also check out this Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...gid=2213183700 (if that doesn't work just search for 'BUNAC Work Canada'). Lots of people in the same boat there!
Rodge9 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.