Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What to do in TO during Visa processing time

What to do in TO during Visa processing time

Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really nice
Default What to do in TO during Visa processing time

Hello,

Im new to the site but have been reading many of the threads for the past few weeks. Some great info and tips that ive used and will use before sending in my PR appllication soon.

one thing that is on my mind lately is what to do while im in Toronto waiting for my application to be processed. Im applying for the outland spousal visa and my OH will be working. Im currently on a working holiday visa that expires at the end of August - Il change my status to that of visitor when it expires.

I was thinking i'd volunteer, maybe study, play golf!

Can i apply for and take a Ontario Driving test?
What did people do? Im worried it could be a lonely few months.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mdunny; Aug 30th 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

suze_h will become famous soon enoughsuze_h will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What to do in TO during Visa processing time

Hi!

I'm in a similar position to you in that I'm about to apply for permanent residency via the outland process and am currently living in Toronto. My boyfriend is sponsoring me as his common-law partner, I'm on a work visa here until the end of December but am unable to work currently as my work visa is only good for Ottawa (where we used to live) - so am waiting on a new visa!!

I was thinking of doing some volunteering.....one thing to remember - you can't study unless you have a study visa and courses over here are WAY more expensive for international students compared to what they cost if you're a permanent resident (I was thinking of doing the same thing until some people warned me off the idea!!)

As a British Citizen you can exchange your British Driving Licence for an Ontario licence without taking a driving test as they have a reciprocal agreement (I had to surrender my UK licence though!) I was thinking of taking some driving lessons while I have all this free time though, still can't get used to driving on the wrong side of the road!! lol.

Other than that I'm planning to spend the time seeing as much of the city as possible, or even doing a bit of travel around Canada.....

Hope that helps a bit!

Suze
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You can study on a visitor's visa as long as the course is less than six months.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really nice

hi,

Thanks for that - yeah im looking at taking a online course that I could take as a student in UK , Ireland (where Im from) or Canada. Id just do the exams in Canada but the award is from the UK.

I think we are in the same boat Suze! Im thinking il do some travelling too - its not often to get 6 or so months hanging around without the need to find work. I just dont want to waste it and like you think volunteering is a good option.

re the driving license, because mine is an Irish one , i cannot exchange it. So i guess thats a question i have, can you take a driving test as a visitor to canada?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

crazycan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Girls,

have you tried meetup.com - you can find lots of meetup groups there to find and make new friends. =)

take care,
D├ęsi