What to do after landing.

Old May 6th 2005, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Geet is on a distinguished road
Default What to do after landing.

Hi All,

I know its a dumb question but will ask anyway.
Once a person lands in Canada, what does he/she needs to do next. I mean apply for what all documents.(Driver License, SIN, Medical Card, etc.)
Will appreciate if anyone can please answer this and also the procedure to go about.
BTW, I got my PPR yesterday. So happy Will be going to NY Consulate next monday to get the PR visa stamped and land in a couple of weeks.
Many thanks to PMM, Jim Humphries and Andrew Miller for all there support and there answers to my questions when things were not going so great. Hang in there guys.....There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Ta.
Old May 6th 2005, 2:16 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do after landing.

It depends from your plans. If you are landing only and then returning to US (or somewhere else) for a while the you don't need to do anything after landing.

Yiu won't beed SIN card or DL while abroad and you'll not get health coverage until you reside in the Province for 3 months (except Alberta).

But if you are here to stay after landing then yes, apply for SIN, exchange your US DL for Canadian one and apply for health coverage (this one may require proof of living in the Province, like phone and other utility bills).

Originally Posted by Geet
Hi All,

I know its a dumb question but will ask anyway.
Once a person lands in Canada, what does he/she needs to do next. I mean apply for what all documents.(Driver License, SIN, Medical Card, etc.)
Will appreciate if anyone can please answer this and also the procedure to go about.
BTW, I got my PPR yesterday. So happy Will be going to NY Consulate next monday to get the PR visa stamped and land in a couple of weeks.
Many thanks to PMM, Jim Humphries and Andrew Miller for all there support and there answers to my questions when things were not going so great. Hang in there guys.....There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Ta.
Old May 6th 2005, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot Andrew, Yes I intend to stay in Canada. Can you please tell me where I need to go for SIN and DL in Toronto.Also, what documents I need for this and which banks are good in Toronto to open an account.
Appreciate your help.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone else respond to my queries please? Where are all the people when you need them?
Old May 6th 2005, 4:46 am

You will get info booklets during landing. Also look into blue (government) section of phone book once in Toronto.

Thanks a lot Andrew, Yes I intend to stay in Canada. Can you please tell me where I need to go for SIN and DL in Toronto.Also, what documents I need for this and which banks are good in Toronto to open an account.
Appreciate your help.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You will get info booklets during landing. Also look into blue (government) section of phone book once in Toronto.
Thanks again Andrew, As always...you're the best.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:17 am

It is sad but you are not honest my friend, for absolutely no logical reason. You just asked in other thread about returning to US after landing.

You want help next time then be honest yourself first.

Thanks again Andrew, As always...you're the best.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

It is sad but you are not honest my friend, for absolutely no logical reason. You just asked in other thread about returning to US after landing.

You want help next time then be honest yourself first.
No offense here but I have been completely honest. I DO intend to stay in Canada but have to return to wrap up my commitments here in US. I think its logical to land first , find an apartment , sought out SIN,DL, Bank Accounts etc. and then move for good rather then moving everything and putting in storage. People might differ from my opinion but then its logical. (In MY opinion).

Regards
Old May 6th 2005, 10:01 am

You don't need SIN to open no interest bank account, you don't need DL as you need your current one to continue driving your US registered car in US.

Apply for all once you move here permanently.

But if you intentions are to rent apartment before returning to US, thus being here for quite longer than couple hours or days then yes, you may apply for SIN and open regular bank account once you get it and your PR Card. But the rest - DL and health card - should wait until you move here for good.

Assuming of course that you will be going back to US for few weeks only. If "wrapping up your commitments" in US will take more than that then don't waste money on apartment you won't live in.

Many think (I hope that you are not one of them) that having SIN card, bank account, filing tax returns, etc. or even having apartment rented or purchased here will be enough to keep PR status or that it will somehow help in keeping status. ** IT WILL NOT **

Just in case you didn't know

No offense here but I have been completely honest. I DO intend to stay in Canada but have to return to wrap up my commitments here in US. I think its logical to land first , find an apartment , sought out SIN,DL, Bank Accounts etc. and then move for good rather then moving everything and putting in storage. People might differ from my opinion but then its logical. (In MY opinion).

Regards
Old May 6th 2005, 10:25 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

It depends from your plans. If you are landing only and then returning to US (or somewhere else) for a while the you don't need to do anything after landing.

Yiu won't beed SIN card or DL while abroad and you'll not get health coverage until you reside in the Province for 3 months (except Alberta).

But if you are here to stay after landing then yes, apply for SIN, exchange your US DL for Canadian one and apply for health coverage (this one may require proof of living in the Province, like phone and other utility bills).
hi Andrew;
u said in this thread that "you'll not get health coverage until you reside in the Province for 3 months (except Alberta)."

Now, I am residing in quebec, after being sponsored by my spouse! I think that I will get a health card once I go and apply for it. So, even if I get my health card, would I not be covered, until I reside here for 3 months??
Old May 6th 2005, 10:37 am

Why you think that? Did you check? Did you do your research before coming? Did you get travel insurance before coming?

Start here:

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoye...canadien.shtml

Originally Posted by amancharan
hi Andrew;
u said in this thread that "you'll not get health coverage until you reside in the Province for 3 months (except Alberta)."

Now, I am residing in quebec, after being sponsored by my spouse! I think that I will get a health card once I go and apply for it. So, even if I get my health card, would I not be covered, until I reside here for 3 months??