what to do?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 66
sarahburns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to do?

hello, hello,
i'm posting once again to express how lost i'm feeling at the moment and hoping to get some sort of advice.
for everyone who hasnt read any of my other posts yet:
my partner and i want to move to vancouver next year. we are currently in perth. he is an engineering geologist, im in my first year of studying anthropology in perth. he cant move to canada until feb, as he would have to pay his australian company lots of money back because they paid for his relocation to australia in the first place. i would like to continue studying in canada, but can only do it if we get residency (because of the fees and the fact that i couldnt work for the first 6 months). i am also considering switching to a different course (soo many ideas, so much confusion.. anthropology, graphic communication....).

now the main problem is that we assumed in the first place that my partners step-family in canada would give him 5 points, which wont happen. so now we're on 63 points, 65 in august when he will have 3 yrs of work experience. as claiming 2 points for basic french seems to be very hard, our only option seems to be pre-arranged employment.

how does one go about finding a job in canada from overseas? as he wont be able to relocate until february it seems impossible finding work for then.. once he finds job, it would probably still take a year or so for the PR to come through, right? so thatd mean that i couldnt start uni over there until maybe jan 2012...

sorry if this sounds confusing, but thats whats going on in my mind at the moment.

any help is much appreciated

sarahburns is offline  
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular
Mermaid3011's Avatar
Joined: May 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 242
Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what to do?

O.k. one step at a time.

If your partner is an engineer he should start writing applications to all companys that are in business in Canada (oilfields Alberta?). they surely are looking for someone with his knowledge. He might have to fly to Canada for an interview or maybe he can do a videoconference instead. We do that in our company as well!

There is some research required on his end but if you WANT to live in Canada he should be able to find some postings or companies. He can also try workopolis.com which is Canada's largest jobsite. Just read through the wiki on this forum.

Once he has secured a job offer (LMO) he'll apply for a work permit. You might want to get married, so that you can get a spousal visa as you are going with him. As a spouse you are eligible for an open work permit. You should also have no trouble applying for a student visa at the same time.

(But please ask this question separately or just read through the CIC homepage for more information. I know it's a hassle but you need to treat this as a project!!!)

Once you moved to Canada you can apply for PR with a job offer. That will take about 1 year. If it's too expensive for you to study as a non-PR student then you might want to consider to work for 1 year with your open work permit as a spouse and commence your degree once you have your PR.

I don't think it's that bad to have a 1 year break in your studies. Especially in Anthropology. That would be a great opportunity for you to volunteer or get some hands on experience in whatever field you would like to work after your degree. It's all about how you sell it later! ) Self Marketing!
Mermaid3011 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.