Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

what is the diffrence in work permit & port of entry

what is the diffrence in work permit & port of entry

Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Josephparappally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is the diffrence in work permit & port of entry

Dear Sir,

I am an Indian national, would like to know whether there is any difference from work permit and port of entry. I heard that Canada work permit is alone not giving any guarantee that a person can enter in Canada without port of entry/residence permit. In that case how can we go to Canada if we got a work permit from Canada.

Why the Canadian embassy or consulate will not issue the (residence permit/port of entry) tougther with work permit.

Kindly give answer
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the diffrence in work permit & port of entry

Hi

Originally Posted by Josephparappally
Dear Sir,

I am an Indian national, would like to know whether there is any difference from work permit and port of entry. I heard that Canada work permit is alone not giving any guarantee that a person can enter in Canada without port of entry/residence permit. In that case how can we go to Canada if we got a work permit from Canada.

Why the Canadian embassy or consulate will not issue the (residence permit/port of entry) tougther with work permit.

Kindly give answer
If you are an Indian citizen and CHC issues you a work permit, you have to apply for a TRV at the same time. A TRV only means that you can apply for admittance at a Port of Entry, it is not a guarantee that you will be admitted, that is the decision of the Immigration Officer.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:52 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is the diffrence in work permit & port of entry

Originally Posted by Josephparappally
Dear Sir,

Kindly give answer
Just as in my answer to your other post about the same matter.

CHC will not issue work permit, you will only be given a work permit approval letter and actual work permit will be issued at the Canadian port of entry. As work (or study) permit does not authorize entry to Canada as Indian national you need a TRV (temporary resident visa) to come to Canadian port of entry and ask for work permit and for admission to Canada. Upon examination officer at the port of entry will grant or refuse you the admission.

So, as PMM stated you must apply for TRV at the same time you are appling for WP.

There is no guarantee that you will be allowed to enter Canada, regardless what kind of visa or permit you have - final decision rests at the discretion of examining officer at the port of entry.