Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

what category do postgraduate certificates count as for EE profile?

what category do postgraduate certificates count as for EE profile?

Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:42 am
Just Joined

flashkla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what category do postgraduate certificates count as for EE profile?

Hi

Im completing my Express Entry Profile and have a couple of questions about it. I have a Masters in Social Work and two postgraduate certificates in therapy qualifications (CBT and systemic therapy). I am not sure which category to put the postgraduate certificates down as. I'm stuck between "Masters degree or professional degree needed to practice a licenced profession" and the one that says "one year certificate from university, college etc".

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Also, it asks for secondary education. So far I have added my A-levels but do I need to inlcude AS level and GCSEs?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 14th 2018, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what category do postgraduate certificates count as for EE profile?

What does your ECA say? To enter the pool you must have had your qualifications assed via an ECA.
You score the points for your highest level of education In likelihood you will score the points for the Master's degree. Professional degree to practice a licensed professions is normally for law and medicine subject.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying so quick!

I only have an ECA for the masters because I wasn’t sure there was much point in getting the others because I’m not sure if I can get points for them. They are worth half a masters degree and I was under the impression you just got the ECA for the highest qualification you have. do you think I should get an ECA for them as well?

do you know about whether to put as levels and GCSEs down as well as a levels?

Thanks

jenny
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:24 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashkla
Thanks for replying so quick!

I only have an ECA for the masters because I wasn’t sure there was much point in getting the others because I’m not sure if I can get points for them. They are worth half a masters degree and I was under the impression you just got the ECA for the highest qualification you have. do you think I should get an ECA for them as well?

do you know about whether to put as levels and GCSEs down as well as a levels?

Thanks

jenny
If you got your ECA done through WES then you could have had the other degrees assessed and it would have been included in the price, as my wife did with her BSc and postgrad teaching diploma. That’s a slightly different situation though I appreciate as we needed the extra points for the second degree.

However it shouldn’t matter in your case because as you rightly suspected, you only get points for your highest level of education, so not only do you not need to include GCSEs or AS levels at all, you don’t even need to include the other degrees.

Remember, you only put in education and work information that you need points for. The rest, after you (hopefully) get an ITA you include on the personal history section of your EE application and don’t have to supply any certificates or references to back up.

Last edited by crofty82; Jul 14th 2018 at 8:26 am.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I recently had my WES results, and the highest level of education I have are 2 separate PG Certs after my Bachelor Degree. I was disappointed to find out that this is not considered a 'completed' Canadian qualification, and my WES report says equivalent to: Post Graduate Diploma (one semester) and overall equivalent to 'Bachelor Degree (4 years)'. From my readings, I think we are only allowed to get points for Completed qualifications, so the PG Cert doesn't count.

This has affected my EE points, so I wasn't very happy. I've emailed WES to see if they would consider it equal to a 'Graduate Certificate' as this would be a completed Canadian credential meaning I could select 'two or more certificates' boosting my points.

Good luck,
Amy
Old Jul 16th 2018, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for all your help. I left them off in the end. fingers crossed for the next draw!
Old Jul 17th 2018, 8:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashkla
Thanks everyone for all your help. I left them off in the end. fingers crossed for the next draw!
Good decision. Remember that vocational or professional qualifications won't count anyway (which may explain the ECA). Only academic qualifications count for points purposes, so from what you've said you'd get points for a masters degree (not a degree for licensed professional, as social care isn't one of the options for that category). Same points though, so 126 or 135 depending on if you have a partner or not.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 17th 2018 at 8:03 am.