Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What can't you take with you to Canada?

What can't you take with you to Canada?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:22 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Question What can't you take with you to Canada?

Hi,

Still a while for us until we hopefully get PR to be able to move to NS but I just wondered if there are any items you are strictly forbidden to take into Canada when you ship all of your belongings over. I don't want any potential customs problems.

I am thinking of, in our case:

- Archery equipment (do you need a licence or are they banned?)

- Martial Arts swords (ornamental) and Nunchuka

- Garden tools; like Stihl garden blower, hedgetrimmer etc (all with small petrol engines)

Many thanks in advance,
Paul
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:35 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can't you take with you to Canada?

I could be losing the plot here a bit, but I'm sure I remember reading a thread ages ago when someone said that you couldn't take mattresses with you?!?
I can't for the life of me think why you wouldn't be able to, but I might of just imagined it! It happens these days
Luckilly I can't take my Mother In Law with me (someone had to say it!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:29 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

YOu erad correctly, but people do take them so maybe this is a myth!

They dont like anything plant based, or with soil on it, so lawnmowere may be removed, and fumigated!! "Tiaribbons" horse blanket was given the once over by customs I do believe because of bugs etc!

You cant take pug nosed dogs did you know that??? They wont let them fly.
This is the link to Canadian customs, and details what you can and cant bring.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc415...html#P120_4318

Bleech, thought I'f get away form my mother, but she went to visit and has decided to look for a holiday home herself :scared:

Originally Posted by Bleech
I could be losing the plot here a bit, but I'm sure I remember reading a thread ages ago when someone said that you couldn't take mattresses with you?!?
I can't for the life of me think why you wouldn't be able to, but I might of just imagined it! It happens these days
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

No AK47s either, from what I can make out of the Canadian firearms law web site.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:33 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

When we moved here - we brought pretty much everything from a car to garden tools and furniture, to mattresses and horse tack, TV's, VCR's and all our power tools. Our container was fumigated in the UK prior to setting off on it's journey.........only to be held by Customs for fumigating again (only because of the car though) LOL!!

The pony had to be scrubbed before entering but I had to giggle a little as the dogs had been walked before setting off for the airport and very likely had specks of dirt on their paws which would have transferred to their blankets and Sky Kennels - they weren't fumigated!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:49 am
Just Joined

allegria is on a distinguished road

This is a good conversation

Does anyone know if you can bring over large cans of Olive Oil?

Cheers
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:27 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by gooding
YOu erad correctly, but people do take them so maybe this is a myth!

They dont like anything plant based, or with soil on it, so lawnmowere may be removed, and fumigated!! "Tiaribbons" horse blanket was given the once over by customs I do believe because of bugs etc!

You cant take pug nosed dogs did you know that??? They wont let them fly.
This is the link to Canadian customs, and details what you can and cant bring.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc415...html#P120_4318

Bleech, thought I'f get away form my mother, but she went to visit and has decided to look for a holiday home herself :scared:
What is a counts as a pug nosed dog? We've got two Bullmastiff's this is disaster if we can't take them as the whole thing will be off - we can't leave them. :scared:
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:37 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Below is from British Airways website regarding dogs they will take on a plane. Other carriers may be different. But it appears you will not be going British Airways. Only other carriers are Air Canada that take dogs as excesses baggage. Air transat ( do not fly Oct-May) , Zoom also takes dogs, but only as cargo not as excess baggage and is very expensive.

Only airlines I can find that take pets as excess baggage are BA and Air Canada, and prices are reasonable. I would contact Air Canada and ask if they have restrictions otherwise it wil be QE2 to USA and drive them up! ( yes QE2 does take dogs) but it is a long old trip!
From BA website http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb#2
Restricted dog breeds
The following types of dogs cannot be accepted for travel, including cross-breeds:

American pit bulls

Pit bull terriers

Japanese tosas

Fila Brazileiros

Togo Argentinos

Snub-nosed dogs
These snub-nosed dogs suffer from respiratory problems that increase with stress and so cannot be accepted for travel:

All Bulldogs

Pugs

Pekinese

This restriction does not apply to cross-breeds.

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
What is a counts as a pug nosed dog? We've got two Bullmastiff's this is disaster if we can't take them as the whole thing will be off - we can't leave them. :scared:
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:59 am
Love it

Below is from British Airways website regarding dogs they will take on a plane. Other carriers may be different. But it appears you will not be going British Airways. Only other carriers are Air Canada that take dogs as excesses baggage. Air transat ( do not fly Oct-May) , Zoom also takes dogs, but only as cargo not as excess baggage and is very expensive.

Only airlines I can find that take pets as excess baggage are BA and Air Canada, and prices are reasonable. I would contact Air Canada and ask if they have restrictions otherwise it wil be QE2 to USA and drive them up! ( yes QE2 does take dogs) but it is a long old trip!
From BA website http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb#2
Restricted dog breeds
The following types of dogs cannot be accepted for travel, including cross-breeds:

American pit bulls

Pit bull terriers

Japanese tosas

Fila Brazileiros

Togo Argentinos

Snub-nosed dogs
These snub-nosed dogs suffer from respiratory problems that increase with stress and so cannot be accepted for travel:

All Bulldogs

Pugs

Pekinese

This restriction does not apply to cross-breeds.
I think we're safe then as they are originally from Bull dogs crossed with Mastiff's. Just my luck, we'll get PR then can't go because of the dogs!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

- Martial Arts swords (ornamental) and Nunchuka
You may have a problem with the nunchucks, but I brought in 2 swords (WWI German duelling sabre my dad "acquired" during WWII and one more recent replica of a Civil War sword). I made to sure to mention them when I was declaring all my goods and they asked a couple of questions about them but let them in. They do sell lots of ornamental asian swords at various places like the CNE and the Rennaissance Faire so most regular swords must be OK. I have seen them confiscate stuff that is really vicious looking and one seizure was big enough it made the TV news. You can read about it here and view online video of all the stuff they took to get an idea of what isn't allowed:
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...0-008/page.asp
Nunchucks are specifically mentioned as something prohibited in Canada in this video.

Last edited by sysclp; Oct 14th 2005 at 3:35 am.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:11 am
Here and happy at last

If you cross a bulldog with a mastiff does it's nose get flatter or longer????
Sorry I felt the need to ask a silly question!!
I could not be parted form my mutt either but she is a beagle, and has a big nose!

I think we're safe then as they are originally from Bulldogs crossed with Mastiff's. Just my luck, we'll get PR then can't go because of the dogs!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if there are any items you are strictly forbidden to take into Canada when you ship all of your belongings over.
The Canada Border Services Agency has a web page entitled Information on importing goods for people intending to settle in Canada. It provides information on, amongst other topics:

The above-mentioned page provides a link to a page with detailed information about firearms. However, it does not provide information about weapons other than firearms.

Here is another page entitled Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada. That page states that nunchaku sticks and hand-held "compact" crossbows are prohibited in Canada.

Aside from the Canadian government's rules, moving companies (removalists) have their own rules. For example, moving companies won't accept a propane tank (not even an empty propane tank) that one might use with a propane barbeque. Moving companies also won't accept any containers that contain liquid (including alcoholic beverages). If the containers were to break in transit and the liquid were to leak, it could wreck some of the contents of the shipment.

Gas (petrol) powered garden equipment is fine, as long as the equipment has been emptied of fuel, and the equipment is clean.

The prohibition against importing endangered species may seem like a no-brainer, but you may have parts of endangered species lurking in unexpected places. For example, you may have ornaments made of ivory, and they are not allowed. If I remember correctly, you are allowed to have antique ivory ornaments, as the ivory was harvested before the elephant population was vulnerable to extinction.

Hope that helps.
                    Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:50 am
                    BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
                    adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
                    Smile Re: What can't you take with you to Canada?

Originally Posted by Bleech
                    I would imagine that this was more a practicality than a rule - bed sizes are different in Canada so sheets and bedding bought over there won't fit a UK mattress. I guess you'd be alright until you need to get new bedding!

Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:06 am
                    BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by adele
                    I would imagine that this was more a practicality than a rule - bed sizes are different in Canada so sheets and bedding bought over there won't fit a UK mattress. I guess you'd be alright until you need to get new bedding!

UK King is the same as US/CAN Queen. Our friend's wife brought over king sheets from the UK for their queen bed here and they work fine, so I would imagine if you have a king bed in the UK you could get sheets for it here.
                    Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:34 am
                    Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Pekinese
                    TTFFT then.... the world is a safer place for that regulation ! get a nasty nip from one of them biting you in a sensitive place.

Rich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.