What can I take going temp b4 PR?

Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default What can I take going temp b4 PR?

Right....the plan is we will go in to Canada at the start of December using the ministerial (clergy) visa. By then our application should have been in with London CIC for about 1 month. As we have arranged employment I am hoping the AOR will state 6 months.

So, when we go in on the temporary visa (which we will aquire when we go to immigration desk in Canada) what can we bring? Will we be able to import our Goods to Follow at this stage or not?

Or can we post some stuff over before we go? Will we have to pay duty or fees if we do? It is things like kids toys, books and a few clothes we would like to send.

Thanks for the help!
Rob
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can I take going temp b4 PR?

Hi Rob,

Your situation is similar to ours - PR in process, but arriving on a work permit intending to settle.

Basically if your work permit is for 3 years or longer, or you intend to stay because your PR is due to be finalized whilst you are in Canada, you can use the goods to follow process like a standard 'landing' permanent resident.

Our work permit was only two years, so the key to convincing customs was proving we had applied. The officer took copies of our AOR card, the letter we had about being prioritized, and our receipts for app fees and ROLF. She didn't really know what she was doing but we talked her into stamping the form as 'settlers'. Everything was fine when we cleared our container a few weeks later at the local customs office.

I think if you send stuff ahead you might have to pay duty. Your other option is to bring stuff in as a temporary resident, but you have to agree to take it out again when you leave, and I don't know what happens when you get PR (too confusing, so we did the setter thing).

Hope that helps.

SAW 04

Originally Posted by rabrol
Right....the plan is we will go in to Canada at the start of December using the ministerial (clergy) visa. By then our application should have been in with London CIC for about 1 month. As we have arranged employment I am hoping the AOR will state 6 months.

So, when we go in on the temporary visa (which we will aquire when we go to immigration desk in Canada) what can we bring? Will we be able to import our Goods to Follow at this stage or not?

Or can we post some stuff over before we go? Will we have to pay duty or fees if we do? It is things like kids toys, books and a few clothes we would like to send.

Thanks for the help!
Rob
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SAW 04
The officer took copies of our AOR card, the letter we had about being prioritized, and our receipts for app fees and ROLF.
Thanks SAW 04. That gives us a bit of hope. I am concerned though that we will not have our AOR before we fly over...London will have had the app for only 1 month at that stage.

What is the letter about being prioritized that you received?

Rob
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could take a copy of the completed PR application forms???

We were about 12 months after AOR when we got the work permit. Because you can get extra points for having an approved job, they also threaten to prioritze your application. It basically said to send copies of the work permit (which we didn't have until we arrived here) and my first payslip. I think they just want to be sure you actually turn up in Canada and start the job. In the end I don't think we really were prioritized by much at all. You may be luckier though as you are much earlier in the process.

Cheers
SAW04

Thanks SAW 04. That gives us a bit of hope. I am concerned though that we will not have our AOR before we fly over...London will have had the app for only 1 month at that stage.

What is the letter about being prioritized that you received?

Rob
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:30 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

<snip>... or you intend to stay because your PR is due to be finalized whilst you are in Canada, you can use the goods to follow process like a standard 'landing' permanent resident.
Hmmmm, this might be good news... Do you have a link to somewhere "official" confirming this?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:31 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...tml#P268_23302

See above. You may land as a seasonal visitor and take the same forms you use as if you were to land. With goods and goods to follow list. It is at the discretion of the customs if they let you in with it all though.

Servicemen and usa visitors do this. Technically as a visitor you have to understand that if you dont get PR, or sell a house and leave Canada as a visitor for good, these goods have to be taken back out of the country when you leave.

If like us you may have to goto Canada, prior to PR being issued, then obviously the rules change. On all goods you import, you are no allowed to sell anything within a year of landing or supposidly they will charge you duty. How they would know is beyond me. Also I read somewhere on customs site this does not apply to goods over 5 years old, that were for personal use.

If you land before you get passport requests. You need to let immigration know your address in Canada to send passport requests to, and return them.

Then once you do get visas, you will have to leave the country, (usually a day trip into USA) and return back over the border to officially "land"
which is a real pain but has to be done.

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Hmmmm, this might be good news... Do you have a link to somewhere "official" confirming this?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:16 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Thanks, gooding.
Unfortunately (in this case ), I'll be sharing residence with a canadian citizen, so this doesn't apply to me.
Oh well.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gooding

See above. You may land as a seasonal visitor and take the same forms you use as if you were to land. With goods and goods to follow list. It is at the discretion of the customs if they let you in with it all though.
Great link, thanks gooding. Now we know the theory, we'll see how it will work in practice

Rob
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

It's actually this bit:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/....html#P80_5569

See number 8)
"8. Prospective settlers who are admitted temporarily by Citizenship and Immigration Canada pending receipt of permanent resident status are also eligible to claim goods under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. Proof of application for permanent resident status and temporary admittance authorization must be provided to customs at the time of arrival. Goods imported by prospective settlers will be documented on Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document. A reference to the immigration application is to be noted on Form B4. In the event that permanent resident status is refused by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the goods imported must be either duty-paid or exported from Canada."

SAW 04

Originally Posted by gooding

Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Proof of application for permanent resident status and temporary admittance authorization must be provided to customs at the time of arrival. SAW 04
That is brilliant, just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. What is temporary admittance authorization though? Although I will be working, the job I am going to is work permit & HRSDC exempt, so I won't have any official authorization until I get the ministerial visa applied to my passport on entry!

Rob
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

You will go to customs after immigration, so just show customs the visa you get given 10 minutes before.

Where in Canada are you headed??

SAW04

That is brilliant, just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. What is temporary admittance authorization though? Although I will be working, the job I am going to is work permit & HRSDC exempt, so I won't have any official authorization until I get the ministerial visa applied to my passport on entry!

Rob
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

You will go to customs after immigration, so just show customs the visa you get given 10 minutes before.

Where in Canada are you headed??

SAW04
Cool. We are heading to Edmonton in December; just in time for the great weather Thats if I can ever get the wretched documentation together for the PR app! Looks like I'm going to be on the phone to former employers again tomorrow You gonna hang around in NB?

Rob
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:35 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Our experience on this past weekend may be reassuring. My partner recently upgraded to being in Canada on a study permit which for the purpose of customs I would think is similar to a work permit. (Limited time of stay, intent to leave and so on.) Her worldy goods have been in storage for the eighteen months, they were brought by truck on Saturday and we met the truck at the border in order to clear them through customs.

We had some problems as there's no door to Canadian customs without leaving Canada so we drove into the US and back, twice. Neither I nor my daughter had id, the first time they waved as through but the second time the immigration guy bleated on for a while about how we should have had passports. This was very similar to the business of entering on the permit in the first place; that took several tries before we found an officer who interpreted the procedure the same way we did. Dealing with immigration officers is rather hit and miss.

Eventually we left immigration and went to the customs hall where the truck driver was waiting. We approached the desk :

Student "I'm in Canada on a study permit and I'm bringing in my stuff"

Officer "Ah, do you have a list ?"

<hands over ten pages of lines "Box PBO", "Box PBO">

Officer "What's PBO ?"

Truck Driver, nervously, "Packed By Owner. We don't know what's in them we're just driving them"

Officer "Where are these goods ?"

Truck Driver "On my truck in the holding area"

Officer "I don't think you need a stamp for this" <turns to colleague> "does she need a stamp ?"

Colleague "These are things you owned in the US that you're bringing in for the duration of your study ?"

Student "Yes"

Colleague "No, no stamp, you're all free to go".

Voila. 50% of a 53' trailer imported, sight unseen. I think the "PBO" was helpful, details might have sparked more interest and awkward questions about the legality of this and the dutiability of that.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep - I hear lots of people start here and wander off

Never made it to Edmonton, but we were nearly going to move to Calgary - really liked Alberta. But, after a lot of 'why are we doing this' conversations we decided we wanted somewhere with smaller cities, less traffic, and where everyone is a bit more laid back - NB is exactly that (and if we ever run out of money we can sell the house, buy a mini-home for $10,000 on a lot in the sticks, and live on our equity - will have to work on the mullet though )

You gonna hang around in NB?

Rob