what can I do??

Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:35 am
Just Joined

todos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what can I do??

after sending passport and bank statement from local bank to the Embassy, received their request to open a bank account in Canada. The only 2 banks so far - HSBC and RBA - insist on submitting a true copy of passport certified by the Canadian embassy. The embassy that keeps my passport is in Europe, I'm in Asia, and of course I have only 1 passport. Is there any other financial institution in Canada that opens a non-resident account without this strictness? Or the only choice for me is to write to the embassy and ask them to send my passport back???? I really don't want this happen...............Pls tell me what can I do....
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what can I do??

I opened an account from the UK in Canada with HSBC. I did it through their international division in London, did it all over the phone and by post. I was then randomly assigned a branch in my chosen Canadian city. I was neither a resident, PR nor citizen at the time. All they wanted was CAD 1,000 minimum deposit to open the account. I assume this was so easy because I was already an HSBC customer in the UK. Have you tried contacting the international division rather than the Canadian HSBC? They are probably more clued up on this. Of course if you don't have an account with them already in your home country then they probably do need to see some kind of ID to comply with money laundering regulations.

Hope this helps, good luck

Biiiiink
Old Dec 21st 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by todos
after sending passport and bank statement from local bank to the Embassy, received their request to open a bank account in Canada. The only 2 banks so far - HSBC and RBA - insist on submitting a true copy of passport certified by the Canadian embassy. The embassy that keeps my passport is in Europe, I'm in Asia, and of course I have only 1 passport. Is there any other financial institution in Canada that opens a non-resident account without this strictness? Or the only choice for me is to write to the embassy and ask them to send my passport back???? I really don't want this happen...............Pls tell me what can I do....

You can send both the following items together:

1- True certified copy of your birth certificate
2- True certified copy of your Driver's lichens

I did it and RBC accepted.

good luck
Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:22 am
Just Joined

todos is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried it through the local branch of HSBC, but they also need passport;
Raska, thank you for suggestion, maybe something has changed - asked them if the set of these 2 documents is enough but they say that passport is necessary.....