Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What can be done regarding vacation between jobs on TWP?

What can be done regarding vacation between jobs on TWP?

Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default What can be done regarding vacation between jobs on TWP?

Hi all

I've been in Canada now for over six months on a TWP as a software engineer. When I got here the company that got me over unexpectedly shut down, but I got another job with a different one immediately afterward. After joining the new one things didn't work out and we parted. Now I have been interviewing for a new one over the last month and things are looking good with that one, and they are willing to get the TWP for me if all goes well.

Whilst I was at the old company I bought a flight ticket to visit family in the US, but now that I am out of a job holding my old TWP I have a strong feeling that it would be unwise for me to leave Canada for the trip unless I have a confirmed LMO again. I find out for sure whether I have the job next week, but am aware that LMO approval can take anything up to five weeks.

Is there anything that can be done in the situation that I do get the job but don't have the LMO yet and go for the US trip? I know that I can still go once the job is confirmed and have the LMO confirmed whilst outside Canada, as is the norm, but on the extremely slim chance that it is declined I would be stuck hoping for a visitors visa to reenter Canada.

So, is there anything that I don't know about to get the process expedited if I were to have the job offer to let me go on my trip in roughly a twelve-day timeframe?

Thank you.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can be done regarding vacation between jobs on TWP?

When does your current TWP expire?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

In 1 year and 11 months.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well as the TWP is still valid there is nothing stopping you from going on vacation as it will still be valid when you return even if you are not working.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, Former Lancastrian. Are you absolutely certainly of this?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Invalidity

209. A work permit becomes invalid when it expires or when a removal order that is made against the permit holder becomes enforceable
or

Authorized period ends
(4) The period authorized for a temporary resident's stay ends on the earliest of
(a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada;
(b) the day on which any work permit or study permit issued to the temporary resident expires;
(c) the day on which any temporary resident permit issued to the temporary resident is no longer valid under section 63; or
(d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think I get that. So I am good to go, I believe! Thank you again!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Saw this

However, if you no longer are working for the employer who was specified in your TWP and if you leave Canada, you will not be allowed to re-enter as a foreign worker. You may still be admitted as a visitor, though, if you are a citizen of a visa waiver country, e.g., the UK, or if you have a valid temporary residence visa (TRV).
From here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Work_P...cations-Canada

So it would appear that if I do leave Canada on my TWP then I will have to get a Visitor Visa to reenter. Have things changed from this to what has been said on this thread?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:41 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Saw this

From here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Work_P...cations-Canada

So it would appear that if I do leave Canada on my TWP then I will have to get a Visitor Visa to reenter. Have things changed from this to what has been said on this thread?
Don't know if you're aware but Former Lancastrian is with the Canada Border Services. You can take what he says to the bank.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I honestly didn't know that. Thanks!