Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:01 am
  #16  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
RustyLinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

One other line of inquiry, if you would indulge me...

My wife is self-employed and has been for some time. I see that it is possible to immigrate as a self-employed person with experience in "cultural activities" so could that be an option? Where could I find information on what constitutes "cultural activities" please? My wife runs a wool shop and knits as her business, and would look to do the same in Canada (she has regular dealings with customers in Canada from the UK already), so would this qualify?
RustyLinks is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 12:06 pm
  #17  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by RustyLinks
One other line of inquiry, if you would indulge me...

My wife is self-employed and has been for some time. I see that it is possible to immigrate as a self-employed person with experience in "cultural activities" so could that be an option? Where could I find information on what constitutes "cultural activities" please? My wife runs a wool shop and knits as her business, and would look to do the same in Canada (she has regular dealings with customers in Canada from the UK already), so would this qualify?
Highly unlikely under that stream, cultural is more 'musicians, artists and the ilk, more info here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=291&top=6

You could look at one of the Regional Community PNP streams, perhaps. https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration
Otherwise look into the Start-Up Program, as suggested before
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:54 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
RustyLinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Highly unlikely under that stream, cultural is more 'musicians, artists and the ilk, more info here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=291&top=6

You could look at one of the Regional Community PNP streams, perhaps. https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration
Otherwise look into the Start-Up Program, as suggested before
Actually that link has given us a glimmer of hope, as she would fit within "5244 - Artisans and Craftspersons" which includes (my emphasis) "Weavers - Use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects." It also includes craft instructors and she delivers lessons in knitting techniques.

Who would be the best person to talk to about the requirements and what level of knowledge/experience would be required and how to prove it? Should we contact Canada House or is there another way to speak to someone?

Thanks for the assistance so far.
RustyLinks is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:21 pm
  #19  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by RustyLinks
Actually that link has given us a glimmer of hope, as she would fit within "5244 - Artisans and Craftspersons" which includes (my emphasis) "Weavers - Use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects." It also includes craft instructors and she delivers lessons in knitting techniques.

Who would be the best person to talk to about the requirements and what level of knowledge/experience would be required and how to prove it? Should we contact Canada House or is there another way to speak to someone?

Thanks for the assistance so far.
You can't speak to Canada House for immigration advice, for that you need to pay an immigration consultant/lawyer. Or you could just avail yourself of the free advice on BE! Given we have CIC staff, CBSA staff and immi consultants that post and advise for free that seems to make sense.

So, further details are needed about your wife's occupation - you said earlier she had a wool shop, but now are saying she is a weaver and instructor? The key thing will be whether she's considered a full-time instructor or weaver/knitter, of if shop manager is a more appropriate NOC code. To qualify under a NOC code, it has to be her main job - only she knows what she does as her daily duties and which would fit better, so have a look at any and all NOC codes, see which duties she does mostly and then let us know.

Also, if it is one of the eligible NOC codes for the self-employed program, then has she done it full-time for at least 2 years and is self-employed doing so?

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:29 pm
  #20  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
RustyLinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can't speak to Canada House for immigration advice, for that you need to pay an immigration consultant/lawyer. Or you could just avail yourself of the free advice on BE! Given we have CIC staff, CBSA staff and immi consultants that post and advise for free that seems to make sense.
Fair enough!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So, further details are needed about your wife's occupation - you said earlier she had a wool shop, but now are saying she is a weaver and instructor? The key thing will be whether she's considered a full-time instructor or weaver/knitter, of if shop manager is a more appropriate NOC code. To qualify under a NOC code, it has to be her main job - only she knows what she does as her daily duties and which would fit better, so have a look at any and all NOC codes, see which duties she does mostly and then let us know.
Also, if it is one of the eligible NOC codes for the self-employed program, then has she done it full-time for at least 2 years and is self-employed doing so?
She does both, although she has only had a physical shop for the last 3 years. Before that she knitted and sold photographer props (baby outfits) online. Since getting the shop she has stopped doing that, but still delivers lessons in knitting techniques as part of the shop business (the shop sells wool and associated craft supplies), runs knitting retreats, and completes paid-for test knits for wool companies. The shop is not just a place for transactions, it is a place for knitters to meet and socialise as well as learn (there are two "sit and social" sessions each week but anyone can come and sit in the shop to knit when it's open). So in terms of her daily duties I would say it's almost a 50/50 split between shop management and craft work/instruction... but the two are so interrelated that it would be hard to separate them (the shop provides the focus for the instruction and craft activities). Regardless of that aspect, she has been self-employed for at least 10 years (and still is).
RustyLinks is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:41 pm
  #21  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by RustyLinks
She does both, although she has only had a physical shop for the last 3 years. Before that she knitted and sold photographer props (baby outfits) online. Since getting the shop she has stopped doing that, but still delivers lessons in knitting techniques as part of the shop business (the shop sells wool and associated craft supplies), runs knitting retreats, and completes paid-for test knits for wool companies. The shop is not just a place for transactions, it is a place for knitters to meet and socialise as well as learn (there are two "sit and social" sessions each week but anyone can come and sit in the shop to knit when it's open). So in terms of her daily duties I would say it's almost a 50/50 split between shop management and craft work/instruction... but the two are so interrelated that it would be hard to separate them (the shop provides the focus for the instruction and craft activities). Regardless of that aspect, she has been self-employed for at least 10 years (and still is).
OK, sounds promising. But really you need to sit down with her and work out the most relevant NOC code for her role, which may be tricky if she does several things. Would NOC 9442 (which is for knitters) be more appropriate - https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...2uJyvtzXrNKzr3

If she can claim she's worked as a full-time craft instructor for at least 2 years out of the past 5, then she may qualify for the self-employed program. The question is whether that would be her full-time occupation in reality, or if another NOC (such as 9442 above, or 0621 which is retail manager) may be more appropriate. Sit down with her, have a look at the NOC's and see which you think would fit her day to day role best.






Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 22nd 2020 at 9:43 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:12 pm
  #22  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
RustyLinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Thanks for the advice - I will do that. I know that 9442 is definitely not the right one as that is exclusively machine knitting/weaving and she is a hand knitter, hence the 5244 being more appropriate. I will have to talk to her about how many classes she has run over the last 5 years and whether that would be enough to claim as a full-time profession though.
RustyLinks is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:10 am
  #23  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

Originally Posted by RustyLinks
Thanks for the advice - I will do that. I know that 9442 is definitely not the right one as that is exclusively machine knitting/weaving and she is a hand knitter, hence the 5244 being more appropriate. I will have to talk to her about how many classes she has run over the last 5 years and whether that would be enough to claim as a full-time profession though.
FWIW, I think it sounds quite promising as long as she can prove she's done two years of self-employment in the occupation being claimed. The self-employed route isn't a quick one, but if you think it is something your wife may be eligible for, then it's a good option to explore.

A few things to check and/or bear in mind -

Just as you haven't mentioned it, don't forget that there is also a points score for SE applicants, although it's generally much easier to meet than the EE route, but do check she'd qualify - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-factors.html

She'll need to prove she has the funds and the ability to support you based on the occupation - "A person's financial assets may also be a measure of intent and ability to establish economically in Canada. There is no minimum investment level for a self-employed person. The capital required depends on the nature of the work. Applicants must have sufficient funds to create an employment opportunity for themselves and maintain themselves and their family members. They must show you that they have been able to support themselves and their family through their talents and would be likely to continue to do so in Canada. This includes the ability to be self-supporting until the self- employment has been created."

It would be wise to have done business plan type research - "Officers may request that self-employed applicants show evidence of having researched the Canadian labour market and adopted a realistic plan that would reasonably be expected to lead to self-employment."

I hope that you can make it work, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 23rd 2020 at 12:12 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:53 am
  #24  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 14
RustyLinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the Best Way to Move to and Work in Canada?

That's really useful, thank you. Yes, she easily qualifies for the SE applicant points (as the requirement is a lot lower than EE). It's a good point about the income and business plan, though. Her business only had a net income of around £5k over the last 12 months despite a turnover of £40k, which is obviously not enough on its own... would she be able to include my pension income for immigration purposes though? I receive a little over £14k from an immediate pension due to my military service without having to work.

What is the expected income to maintain a family for immigration purposes (2 adults and one child)? We also have about £11k in savings that would help with "creating an employment opportunity" (i.e. rent, stock, business rates, etc.)

I don't think we are able to include the value of our house (less mortgage) as part of the assessment, although that would potentially provide an extra £200k.

I will talk it through with her later...

Last edited by RustyLinks; Jan 23rd 2020 at 1:03 am.
RustyLinks is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.