Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to manage this situation?

What is the best way to manage this situation?

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:50 am
A Rashid

Default What is the best way to manage this situation?

I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for immigration I
was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my immigration papers. Mainly,
due to lack of knowledge I entered Canada without updating my marital status as my
wife was not traveling with me.

Now I want to sponsor my wife but I'm totaly confused about my situation. My friends
have suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date after my
entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this. I'm really
not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no information
on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a situation.....whether this mistake is
revocable by some legal means or not.

Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation. Thanks
and regards!

Old Aug 26th 2002, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Tatu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the best way to manage this situation?

Did u get married after the PR visa was issued??

Did the officer ask you at the landing about marital status? and if so what did you reply?

Wrong information can be regarded as an offence. Being married is nothting wrong and does not impact your immigration status after you get you documents so why were you not truthful?

I would suggest hire a Canadian lawyer for proper advice as you immigration can be revoked.

It will be a price to pay for dishonesty

T

Originally posted by A Rashid:
I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for immigration I
was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my immigration papers. Mainly,
due to lack of knowledge I entered Canada without updating my marital status as my
wife was not traveling with me.

Now I want to sponsor my wife but I'm totaly confused about my situation. My friends
have suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date after my
entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this. I'm really
not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no information
on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a situation.....whether this mistake is
revocable by some legal means or not.

Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation. Thanks
and regards!