Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to manage this situation?

What is the best way to manage this situation?

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:47 am
A Rashid

Default What is the best way to manage this situation?

I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for immigration I
was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my immigration papers. Mainly,
due to lack of knowledge I entered Canada without updating my marital status as my
wife was not traveling with me.

Now I want to sponsor my wife but I'm totaly confused about my situation. My friends
have suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date after my
entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this. I'm really
not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no information
on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a situation.....whether this mistake is
revocable by some legal means or not.

Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation. Thanks
and regards!

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:27 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: What is the best way to manage this situation?

Your landing was fraudulent as one of the part of landing process is the question
regarding any changes in your marital status - looks like you answered that there is
no change and you did it not by any mistake as question is rather simple and
understanding such shouldn't be a problem. You have committed a fraud and your PR
status is invalid, sorry.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
sending email)

"A Rashid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for immigration
    > I was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my immigration papers.
    > Mainly, due to lack of knowledge I entered Canada without updating my marital
    > status as my wife was not traveling with me.
    > Now I want to sponsor my wife but I'm totaly confused about my situation. My
    > friends have suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date
    > after my entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this.
    > I'm really not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no
    > information on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a situation.....whether
    > this mistake is revocable by some legal means or not.
    > Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation. Thanks
    > and regards!

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 3:18 am
Immigrationpolice

Your PR is Fraud and Invalid. Plus you cannot sponsor your wife while you are
in Sweden.

m
    > I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for immigration
    > I was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my immigration papers.
    > friends have suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date
    > after my entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this.
    > I'm really not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no
    > information on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a situation.....whether
    > Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation. Thanks
    > and regards!

Old Aug 24th 2002, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point

not to mention the fact that you have comitted an offence by lying about your marital status when you were asked at the time of landing, and you stand to get deported if you are in canada, or barred entry if you are outside..

to top it off you are considering falsifying documents.. you can go to prision for that.. you may be in the soup but dont be stupid and light a fire...

Originally posted by Immigrationpolice:
Your PR is Fraud and Invalid. Plus you cannot sponsor your wife while you are
in Sweden.

m
    > and regards!
Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:15 am
pkjmet

bighead <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > not to mention the fact that you have comitted an offence by lying about your
    > marital status when you were asked at the time of landing, and you stand to get
    > deported if you are in canada, or barred entry if you are outside..
    > to top it off you are considering falsifying documents.. you can go to prision for
    > that.. you may be in the soup but dont be stupid and light a fire...
    > Originally posted by Immigrationpolice:
    > > Your PR is Fraud and Invalid. Plus you cannot sponsor your wife while you are in
    > > Sweden.
    > >
    > >
    > > "A Rashid" wrote in message
    > > news:eae5b7cc.0208230547- .67a3e9cf@posti-
    > > ng.google.com"]news:eae5b7cc.020-
    > > 8230547.67a3e9cf@posti-
     ng.google.co- m[/url]...
    > > > I got my permanent resident status in January 2001. When I applied for
    > > > immigration I was unmarried. However, I got married AFTER I recieved my
    > > > immigration papers. Mainly, due to lack of knowledge I entered Canada without
    > > > updating my marital status as my wife was not traveling with me. Now I want to
    > > > sponsor my wife but I'm totaly confused about my situation. My friends have
    > > > suggested me to get a false marriage certificate with a marriage date after my
    > > > entry in Canada. Popular opinion is that there is no way out except this. I'm
    > > > really not willing to resort to such a solution. On the other hand there is no
    > > > information on the Canadian Immigration web site for such a
    > > > situation.....whether this mistake is revocable by some legal means or not.
    > > > Kindly suggest me a feasible and legal way of dealing with this situation.
    > > > Thanks and regards!

This is what will happen.

You will sponosr your wife and the CPC Mississauga will see that you were married
prior to Immigration and if you have given an explanation for your indiscretion they
will send your file to an Enforcement Unit. In Toronto they are all sent to CIC
Kitchener. A report will be prepared and a decision will be made if there are grounds
for a Direction for an Inquiry. If there is an INquiry chances are an adjudicator
will order your deported. You can appeal the decision to the Immigration Appeal
Division of the IRB who will review the case, not just the facts and the law. They
have wide randging power to set the Deport Order aside and let you remain.

If there is no Direction issued the sponsorship will proceed and you will get a
letter from CIC warning you of the consequences of future misreps.

All these comments about fraudulent landing and illegal landings are extreme cases
and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would hope that respondents would stick
to the process and and a solution! You are still a PR of Canada. There is still due
process in Canada and you will have your day in court so do not dispair.

My experieince is that few Directions are issued in these cases and all is forgiven
by CIC unless there is a blatant misrepresentation.

Comments from the experts on my analysis are welcome.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer

Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:54 am
A Rashid

Thank you Mr. Jim, finally I got an answer to my question. Although I didnt ask for a
trial, yet all the respondents set up their own courts to convict me for the
"murderous" action of mine. And every one was satisfied that the question is answered
to its best. Any way this is how sometimes people help others out???

Mr. Jim I would like you to please explain the term "blatant misrepresentation" in
your post. More over,as I'm already ouside Canada for my studies, is it possible
to resolve the problem before entering Canada. I mean if I inform the concerened
Canadian embassy about my situation do they have powers to decide such a case. If
its so, could you please explain the course of action as you explained in the
previous case. I would prefer to enter Canada clean handed if a possibility
exists. Thanks again for you time and guidance. Regards!

> This is what will happen.
    > You will sponosr your wife and the CPC Mississauga will see that you were married
    > prior to Immigration and if you have given an explanation for your indiscretion
    > they will send your file to an Enforcement Unit. In Toronto they are all sent to
    > CIC Kitchener. A report will be prepared and a decision will be made if there are
    > grounds for a Direction for an Inquiry. If there is an INquiry chances are an
    > adjudicator will order your deported. You can appeal the decision to the
    > Immigration Appeal Division of the IRB who will review the case, not just the facts
    > and the law. They have wide randging power to set the Deport Order aside and let
    > you remain.
    > If there is no Direction issued the sponsorship will proceed and you will get a
    > letter from CIC warning you of the consequences of future misreps.
    > All these comments about fraudulent landing and illegal landings are extreme cases
    > and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would hope that respondents would stick
    > to the process and and a solution! You are still a PR of Canada. There is still due
    > process in Canada and you will have your day in court so do not dispair.
    > My experieince is that few Directions are issued in these cases and all is forgiven
    > by CIC unless there is a blatant misrepresentation.
    > Comments from the experts on my analysis are welcome.
    > Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer

Old Aug 28th 2002, 8:49 am
pkjmet

[email protected] (A Rashid) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Thank you Mr. Jim, finally I got an answer to my question. Although I didnt ask for
    > a trial, yet all the respondents set up their own courts to convict me for the
    > "murderous" action of mine. And every one was satisfied that the question is
    > answered to its best. Any way this is how sometimes people help others out???
    > Mr. Jim I would like you to please explain the term "blatant misrepresentation" in
    > your post. More over,as I'm already ouside Canada for my studies, is it
    > possible to resolve the problem before entering Canada. I mean if I inform the
    > concerened Canadian embassy about my situation do they have powers to decide
    > such a case. If its so, could you please explain the course of action as you
    > explained in the previous case. I would prefer to enter Canada clean handed if
    > a possibility exists. Thanks again for you time and guidance. Regards!
    > > This is what will happen.
    > >
    > > You will sponosr your wife and the CPC Mississauga will see that you were married
    > > prior to Immigration and if you have given an explanation for your indiscretion
    > > they will send your file to an Enforcement Unit. In Toronto they are all sent to
    > > CIC Kitchener. A report will be prepared and a decision will be made if there are
    > > grounds for a Direction for an Inquiry. If there is an INquiry chances are an
    > > adjudicator will order your deported. You can appeal the decision to the
    > > Immigration Appeal Division of the IRB who will review the case, not just the
    > > facts and the law. They have wide randging power to set the Deport Order aside
    > > and let you remain.
    > >
    > > If there is no Direction issued the sponsorship will proceed and you will get a
    > > letter from CIC warning you of the consequences of future misreps.
    > >
    > > All these comments about fraudulent landing and illegal landings are extreme
    > > cases and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would hope that respondents
    > > would stick to the process and and a solution! You are still a PR of Canada.
    > > There is still due process in Canada and you will have your day in court so do
    > > not dispair.
    > >
    > > My experieince is that few Directions are issued in these cases and all is
    > > forgiven by CIC unless there is a blatant misrepresentation.
    > >
    > > Comments from the experts on my analysis are welcome.
    > >
    > >
    > > Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer

F0r a definition of blatant refer to a dictionary!

If you are not living in Canada you can do nothing about your predicament until you
return to Canada and re-establish yourself. Going to the Cdn Embassy and reporting
your situation will have no effect. This is not the forum to explain a course of
action to solve your problem. In deed my paying clients would be shocked and
disappointed if I were to suggest a course of action for which they paid me a fee.

Jim Metcalfe