Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

what is the best way to apply for PR for me?

what is the best way to apply for PR for me?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:47 am
Just Joined

green7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is the best way to apply for PR for me?

I am a studeny in my second year of completing a masters in canada (I will be graduating next month) and I want to apply for PR. I have heard about "canadian experience class" which may be suitable for me, but according to CIC website, I should have one year of Canadian work experience after my graduation. On the other hand, I have a few friends who have applied for this category while they were at their second year of completing their masters in our university (while they were still students), and one of them even got their medical applications. I don't want to be rejected, but I want to know what is the best way for me to apply? I have sufficient work experience to apply as skilled worker category as well, but that will take longer than the canadian experience class. Also I know there is one option of provintional nominee but that one also needs 6 month of canadian work experience. I am completing a thesis-based master of science and the university paid me monthly salary for 2 years.
I would appreciate if anybody can help
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the best way to apply for PR for me?

I just had a look at the CIC website. Did you know you can apply for a post-graduate work permit which will be valid for 3 years? Once you have done 1 year you can then apply for PR on the graduate in canada experience class.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../graduates.asp

"....You may get work experience by applying for the Post-Graduation Work Permit after graduation. Work permits may be valid for up to three years with no restrictions on the type of work you can do or where. To ensure that you can apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, at least one year of work experience under the permit must be at Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B under the NOC. Your work experience must be gained within two years of the time you applied.

Full-time work experience means working at least 37.5 paid hours per week."

As to your present work experience... it doesn't count.

"...Note: Work experience gained during your studies does not count toward meeting the requirements for work experience. Only work experience gained after graduation can be counted."

Thinking "outside of the box" Graduate means a graduate from university, not specifically a Masters Degree. Could your friends have applied post graduate (ie post B.Sc) but whilst they were taking their M.Sc ? Did you get your B.Sc in Canada? That may be a way of applying for PR if your M.Sc "payments" could be specifically attributed to working (not just studying). I don't know if this would be sufficient, just throwing an idea around.

"... If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years
or
a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years). "

I really think your best bet is to apply for the Graduate work permit (I presume you meet the criteria?) and then apply for PR in a years time.

all references are from the link posted.

Hope that is of some assistance.