Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What Address to Give for Prinicipal Applicant?

What Address to Give for Prinicipal Applicant?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Question What Address to Give for Prinicipal Applicant?

Hi,

Me and my partner are in the process of completing the forms for me to sponsor her. I am a Canadian citizen but only been living in Canada since November 1st (I'm also a British citizen). My partner has been with me in Canada the whole time on a Bunac work visa. We previously lived together in the UK. I've been advised on this message board to take the route of sponsoring her as though she's outside of Canada as it's faster.

My question is, how do I answer questions regarding addresses? Her current address is with me in Canada. Her visa expires on October 31st and she'll no doubt have to go home whilst this process is going on. Should I write her UK address? I don't want to appear as though I'm lying plus living together is part of the proof of our common-law relationship.

What do people normally do?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default Re: What Address to Give for Prinicipal Applicant?

Can anyone help?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by simonfiction
Hi,

Me and my partner are in the process of completing the forms for me to sponsor her. I am a Canadian citizen but only been living in Canada since November 1st (I'm also a British citizen). My partner has been with me in Canada the whole time on a Bunac work visa. We previously lived together in the UK. I've been advised on this message board to take the route of sponsoring her as though she's outside of Canada as it's faster.

My question is, how do I answer questions regarding addresses? Her current address is with me in Canada. Her visa expires on October 31st and she'll no doubt have to go home whilst this process is going on. Should I write her UK address? I don't want to appear as though I'm lying plus living together is part of the proof of our common-law relationship.

What do people normally do?
1. Her UK address as residential.
2. Her Canadian address as mailing.
3. Why would she go home, she just applies for an extension as a visitor.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply PMM!

Would giving the UK address as her residential address not affect our proof of common-law? We have been living together for over a year prior to coming to Canada but I also don't want to lie and make out as though she's home right now when we're living together in Canada.

Or do they take the mailing address as your actual location and so not affect our common-law evidence, and use her residential as her normal country of residence?

She might apply for an extension to stay as a visitor but she might also get some temp work back in the UK to help save seeing as she won't be able to work here. We're not sure yet, but thanks for letting me know about the ability to extend.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Mailing address is where you want your mail to go to. Could be your lawyer's office, or your parents, or a friend. It is where mail related to the application goes.

Does she still have a UK residental address?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

She has her parents address.

I've noticed on the application to sponsor it lets you specify the option to "process the application at the country of which the person you are sponsoring is a national".

Presumably, if I check this option, when my partner specifies our Canada address as her residential (& mailing) the application won't pose a problem being processed outside of Canada (in the UK) and still accept our evidence as being common-law.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonfiction
I've noticed on the application to sponsor it lets you specify the option to "process the application at the country of which the person you are sponsoring is a national".
Which form (and maybe page) is this? I do not remember it.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

In the applicaction to sponsor someone outside of Canada, the form "Application to Sponsor and Undertaking" (IMMI 1344 A), Section C, Question 6 A, B and C.

Also, in Sec C, Q.1 it asks the nationality of the person being sponsored.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit.../IMM1344EA.pdf
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting. I did not answer that question, and on reading it find it confusingly worded. Thanks!