What is a 90 day letter?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:05 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is a 90 day letter?

Excuse my ignorance, but would someone be kind enough to explain what a 90 day letter is?

I've done a search and have found many instances in which 90 day letters have been mentioned. However, in all the instances I've seen, the folks who were discussing them obviously knew what they were. Hence none of those posts actually contained a definition of a 90 day letter.

I immigrated to Canada thirty years ago. Either there was no such thing as a 90 day letter back then or, if there was, I didn't know it was a "90 day letter."

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:09 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a 90 day letter?

Some applicants receive a request letter from visa post asking to submit updated info and/or forms and/or evidence within 90 days. This is why participants here started calling it "90 day letter".

Not everyone gets it and not all visa posts use it.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:50 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Some applicants receive a request letter from visa post asking to submit updated info and/or forms and/or evidence within 90 days. This is why participants here started calling it "90 day letter".

Thank you, Andrew.

I suppose then, that if a PR applicant receives a request to provide updated info within 90 days, he/she can take it as a sign that his/her application has reached the top of the pile. That is, a visa officer at least has looked through the application and has determined that this or that bit of information still is required.

I now understand why people get excited when they receive a 90 day letter. At least it's a sign of life.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:59 am

Yupp, it is a good sign. But better is to update application before being asked to do so, as request for update adds at least 4 to 5 months to the process.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:24 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

or 8 months in my case:curse:
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:26 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

received our 90 day letter 22/6/07 and wasnt expecting to hear till Aug 08 so a year early.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:00 pm

I don't want to burst your hopes but if you browse past posts (including quite recent) you'll find reports from applicants who updated files after 90 day letter long ago (some updated back in October '06) and who still hear nothing...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What is a 90 day letter?

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Excuse my ignorance, but would someone be kind enough to explain what a 90 day letter is?

I've done a search and have found many instances in which 90 day letters have been mentioned. However, in all the instances I've seen, the folks who were discussing them obviously knew what they were. Hence none of those posts actually contained a definition of a 90 day letter.

I immigrated to Canada thirty years ago. Either there was no such thing as a 90 day letter back then or, if there was, I didn't know it was a "90 day letter."

Thanks.
Thank you Judy - who posted this in response to a question from me - and to Andrew Miller, who is always a fount of great knowledge.
From reading the "90 day letter" threads I had begun to suspect that I'd had one. In my case it was a proforma letter P103FC(05/06) sent to me by CHC London on 15 June which starts "Dear Applicant, In order to continue processing your application we require the additional documents marked below...." and then has a handwritten note on the back asking for the application forms to be "fully completed" and resubmitted along with any information about countries resided in for more than 6 months over the age of 18. I take it from Andrew's response above that my suspicions were correct. Incidentally - the "90 days" deadline was amended by hand to "60 days" - is this the first sighting of a "60 day letter"? So now the secret is out !

Last edited by newshoney; Jul 24th 2007 at 7:20 pm. Reason: Saved accidentally before finishing post.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

So Andrew I'm assuming that applicants who applied via SAP, it will be standard for us to received this 90 days letter because we haven't previously sent in any information at all. I also want to have all our paperwork prepared so the day we receive our letter, I can forward all our information the next day to avoid any further delay.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

ginger one of the things in the 90 day letter is the police checks, and since these are only valid for a short period of time then i wouldn't waste time getting these yet.

Chris

Last edited by cneldred; Jul 24th 2007 at 8:08 pm. Reason: terrible spelling
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cneldred
ginger one of the things in the 90 day letter is the police checks, and since these are only valid for a short period of time then i wouldn't waste time getting these yet.

Chris

Thanks cneldred, actually I meant only the paperwork, like work history details and copies of certificates etc., as much as we can get ready beforehand. Hopefully this will give us a head start. I've read the forms and information that's required and it's all quite detailed so want to have as much prepared as we can. Now that Sydney applicants are being told 36 months (as opposed to our 24 month timeline) we're hoping to get there earlier possibly with a WP. My husband is in IT and from other posts it doesn't look too promising to get work that easily in that area. So we're weighing our options right now but still want to prepare as much of our application as we can.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
So Andrew I'm assuming that applicants who applied via SAP, it will be standard for us to received this 90 days letter because we haven't previously sent in any information at all. I also want to have all our paperwork prepared so the day we receive our letter, I can forward all our information the next day to avoid any further delay.
You assumed right. But why you want to wait for 5 years (maybe little less in Australia) or forever???

If number of applications with arranged employment will continue coming at the pace they are coming so far and rules won't change to eliminate backlog (by for example raising pass mark to 75-80 points) then your wait will likely be indefinite, as backlog alone will take about 10 years worth of visa quotas. And SAP cases will be processed only after there is anything (visa quotas and processing resources) left over after 1st priority (arranged employment cases) and 2nd priority (pre-SAP cases) are dealt with. Honesty, I don't see that day coming anytime soon.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Andrew or someone!!

As you know I'm new to site.

Please can you tell me all the stages of codes everyone is discussing about, haven't a clue . I.E AOR? All I Know I have a file number and going through a PR application.

Thanks!!

Angela
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:04 am

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by newshoney
Thank you Judy - who posted this in response to a question from me - and to Andrew Miller, who is always a fount of great knowledge.
From reading the "90 day letter" threads I had begun to suspect that I'd had one. In my case it was a proforma letter P103FC(05/06) sent to me by CHC London on 15 June which starts "Dear Applicant, In order to continue processing your application we require the additional documents marked below...." and then has a handwritten note on the back asking for the application forms to be "fully completed" and resubmitted along with any information about countries resided in for more than 6 months over the age of 18. I take it from Andrew's response above that my suspicions were correct. Incidentally - the "90 days" deadline was amended by hand to "60 days" - is this the first sighting of a "60 day letter"? So now the secret is out !
We had a 60 day letter back in March asking for proof we were still in Canada.
Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.