Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Were both of you 100% when deciding to leave?

Were both of you 100% when deciding to leave?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Default Were both of you 100% when deciding to leave?

Hi guys,

Im just wondering what your experiences were when you were deciding to emigrate. Were you and your partner bot 100%, or was one more enthusiastic than the other ?

I'm totally up for it, but my wife seems a little hesitant. Whereas i am looking at the positive side if things worked out, she is looking at the negatives. I appreciate you have to look at both sides when making such a decision, but i think its more important to look at the positives otherwise you'll keep putting barriers in the way of doing it !

What have your experiences been. We don't have kids so its just ourselves to consider.

Thanks, Stuart
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:56 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Were both of you 100% when deciding to leave?

Originally Posted by stuartm
Hi guys,

Im just wondering what your experiences were when you were deciding to emigrate. Were you and your partner bot 100%, or was one more enthusiastic than the other ?

I'm totally up for it, but my wife seems a little hesitant. Whereas i am looking at the positive side if things worked out, she is looking at the negatives. I appreciate you have to look at both sides when making such a decision, but i think its more important to look at the positives otherwise you'll keep putting barriers in the way of doing it !

What have your experiences been. We don't have kids so its just ourselves to consider.

Thanks, Stuart
Both, which does help immensely, especially if you eventually get over to wherever you are going.

Paul
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:32 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks, Stuart
Sheila (Canadian but 23+ yrs in the UK) was 100% for it, I am English and i was 110% for it. I would say go for it, as you have no kids it would be easier for you to move back if you found it wasn't for you. I wish i had done this move 20 yrs ago, it's true that in life you mostly regret the things you didn't do rather than the things you did.
Just for the record, although it doesn't apply in your case, our 9 yr old son was 85% for it (leaving his mum behind) and he's loving it here too.
HTH and good luck
P.S. You have to work at it and make a go of it but it is all worth it in the end (in my opinion and experience)
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future

To actually go and live in another country you both have to be 100% comitted, to move and establish a new life in another country. Dont know if you watched any of the emmigration shows on TV - 'A new life down under', 'get a new life' etc - but they showed how stressful, hard and rewarding it can be to build a new life.

It has to be your combined decision and you can look through other threads on this forum and the culture and lifestyle forum to get positive and negative comments from people who have made the move.

We made a pro's and cons list over a number of months and really considered our options and weighed the whole thing up. That might be a good place to start.

Hope this helps
Nik
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I'd say we're both around 95%. I don't think we'll be 100% until we have jobs lined up waiting for us!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough

considering this will be one of THE, or not IS, the biggest decisions of your life, you both gotta be 110% committed and entheusiastic...if things dont pan out, you dont really want one person to be pointing fingers... :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

T@m@s is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Were both of you 100% when deciding to leave?

I can't give you procent, but we both are certain that Canada is the place where we want to work, live and die.
We have no other economical expectations than we with hard work can probaply achive so it liberates us from the worries: How much the tax, housing, car, fuel, food... going up and down.
I can tell that with both of us working, we can manage to have a good normal life, get some friends and get accepted as a person (what we couldn't achive in this place in twenty years). And this is the only reason for us, so you see it cannot go wrong - if CIC don't let us down:scared:.
We both are positive that Canada is the best place for us to see our two cubs growing up.
No question about that, nope, none!

Last edited by T@m@s; Sep 7th 2005 at 1:07 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

We're both 110% committed to our immigration journey. Our kids still want to go too
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:28 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Were 110% commited and ive got a job to go to, we cant wait to get there and start on the journey to our new life i know there will be ups and downs but we will stick at it and i know in a couple of years everything will be spot on
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to start a thread about the difference between men and women in their approach to emmigration, as I think that is also an issue. Me and my hubby are both 100% certain we want to go..... HOWEVER... as a woman, I find I need to constantly research all the niggly things that worry me, to try and know the negatives if you like. I worry about the kids, fret about family etc, whereas hubby is more black and white. His attitude it yep, it's a great idea and that's that. End of discussion. Maybe you just need to allow your wife to work through all the negative points in her own time and hopefully she'll still come out on the same side as you! Or you could do what my husband does and stop listening!!

SQ
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

vicki moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Stuart

If you would like to ask your wife some of her negative thoughts and ask me about them I might be able to reassure her (on the other hand I might say the wrong thing) but I am happy to give her the benefit of having lived here in Australia for ten years (having lived previously on the outskirts of London/Kent.) My circumstanes are different in that I came here on holiday and stayed!!!! But I can tell your wife how I have enjoyed being here, the bits I have missed about UK and whats an advantage.

I'm happy to help if I can....

Best wishes Vicki

Hi guys,

Thanks, Stuart
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:23 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife 100% for the move

Daughter aged 13, defo wants to move, she cannot wait to get out of the UK

Daughter aged 12, defo defo wants to move, she to cannot wait to leave

Son aged 3, dont think he cares either way, far to young, but he will grow up Canadian if we get in.

So yes the family are 110% commited to this move.

Me I cannot wait, hate my job working with the nutters in the prison, ground hog day job, with no chance of any sort of promotional prospects, so what I am doing just now is what I will be doing for the very very long for seeable future.

Eddie
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future

I think it is different when you make a decision to emmigrate and have small children, because they will grow up and life in whatever country will be the norm for them. They will be little Canadians, Ozzies or Kiwi's ....... But for us 'adults' who consciously make the decision to move, life will be different than we knew in the UK. We just expect and hope it will be better - unless we would have stayed here!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

rynhelcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I think to be sure you both have to be 100% keen although that doesn't mean not considering the negatives as you have to know what could go wrong!

Helen
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

We have been over 4 times (and again this October) and we are both 100% commited (well at least some folk say we should be! LOL).
It just feels like returning home, not emmigrating!
Jobs are a worry, but with the house sold and relatives who can put us up for a while, we are basically just waiting for the visa's and then getting over there to apply for positions.
Kenny