Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Well it's decided - Back to Canada!

Well it's decided - Back to Canada!

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:29 pm
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough
Default Well it's decided - Back to Canada!

Well after alot of debate, Hubby and I have decided we are going back to Canada. Been in the UK for 5 years now and although it has be great financially - we miss our families. We are planning for summer 2007, and I am trying to get a handle of timing so… I have a few questions….

Hubby is a Canuck and I am a Brit, 2 of the 3 kids have dual Citizenship (born in Canada) and the youngest a Brit. I used to have landed status – but have been out of Canada too long.

How long would it take for me to get a PR card, (spousal application)?

Can my youngest (age 3) get his Canadian passport or does he need a PR card as well?

When we came to the UK we had to have a hefty savings account (to show we could support ourselves) -- we had to have $7000 (CDN) to satisfy the UK immigration. In moving back to Canada will we have to have a Lump sum in a savings account to show Canadian Immigrations that we can support ourselves?

Thanks in advance!!

Sharmagirl
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well it's decided - Back to Canada!

Well your husband, being Canadian, can surely go over whenever he likes. He doesn't need to have to show funds does he?
Then you do spousal application for you to become permanent resident there too. The experts will advise whether you can do that from within Canada, and also regarding the status of your youngest.

Good luck!

Morw
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:44 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharmagirl
Well after alot of debate, Hubby and I have decided we are going back to Canada. Been in the UK for 5 years now and although it has be great financially - we miss our families. We are planning for summer 2007, and I am trying to get a handle of timing so… I have a few questions….

Hubby is a Canuck and I am a Brit, 2 of the 3 kids have dual Citizenship (born in Canada) and the youngest a Brit. I used to have landed status – but have been out of Canada too long.

Can my youngest (age 3) get his Canadian passport or does he need a PR card as well?

When we came to the UK we had to have a hefty savings account (to show we could support ourselves) -- we had to have $7000 (CDN) to satisfy the UK immigration. In moving back to Canada will we have to have a Lump sum in a savings account to show Canadian Immigrations that we can support ourselves?

Thanks in advance!!

Sharmagirl
I think your youngest is automatically a Canadian citizen because of his/her father being Canadian. i'm not an expert though, just that we have got a canadian passport for our youngest (17 months) although her mum is the canadian. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello....*S*..sounds like you are feeling somewhat relieved in making your decision...i understand all too well how that goes

if you take a look at the CIC web site it will give you lots of information. Also there are many here either doing it, or have done it.

yes you would come under the spouse visa and also..i read on here somewhere the last couple of days about children and visas etc...maybe do a search in this forum..good luck
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Your youngest is already a citizen, they will just need a citizenship certificate (the pocket sized card) to prove it. People are saying these are taking some time to come through, I think it was 5mths-ish for my son's to come but that was over 18mths ago.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canadae...assy5-1-en.asp

You can apply for a short-validity passport at the same time as the citizenship certificate if you like, it doesn't cost much more - see Nivlad's recent thread. Once you get the citizenship card you can extend the passport for a further 2yrs.

Hth

Biiiiink
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:09 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Your youngest is already a citizen, they will just need a citizenship certificate (the pocket sized card) to prove it. People are saying these are taking some time to come through, I think it was 5mths-ish for my son's to come but that was over 18mths ago.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canadae...assy5-1-en.asp

You can apply for a short-validity passport at the same time as the citizenship certificate if you like, it doesn't cost much more - see Nivlad's recent thread. Once you get the citizenship card you can extend the passport for a further 2yrs.

Hth

Biiiiink
as said by Biiiink, ur child is already a canadian citizen! u wont need to show any funds to the canadian immigration as spouse applications are exempt from it....
just do ur research on www.cic.gc.ca and u will find plethora of ur queries being solved..
and by the way; best of luck for ur decision to move to canada....
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

was your landed status based on being married to a Canadian? if so, I've understood that the time in Canada requirement is fulfilled, even if you aren't in Canada, if you're accompanying your Canadian spouse.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:32 pm
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thermophile
was your landed status based on being married to a Canadian? if so, I've understood that the time in Canada requirement is fulfilled, even if you aren't in Canada, if you're accompanying your Canadian spouse.

No I emmigrated to Canada as a child (Age 5), I never got my citizenship and came back to the uk as an adult(age 28 yrs) taking my canadian hubby with me.

For my original Landed staus to be valid I have to be in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years (I think). So my hubby will be sponsoring me from scratch!

Further information that I have gleaned from the other posts leads me to believe that For my hubby to be able to sponsor me - he must be able to support me. We will be job hunting while the process immigration approval process happens, so I thought that He (we) would have to have a nest egg to prove that he would be able to support me. It all seems to be very vague. I suppose I won't find out about my specific situation untill we actually apply.

I am look through the other threads now though to get an idea....

Sharmagilr
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No I emmigrated to Canada as a child (Age 5), I never got my citizenship and came back to the uk as an adult(age 28 yrs) taking my canadian hubby with me.

For my original Landed staus to be valid I have to be in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years (I think). So my hubby will be sponsoring me from scratch!

Further information that I have gleaned from the other posts leads me to believe that For my hubby to be able to sponsor me - he must be able to support me. We will be job hunting while the process immigration approval process happens, so I thought that He (we) would have to have a nest egg to prove that he would be able to support me. It all seems to be very vague. I suppose I won't find out about my specific situation untill we actually apply.

I am look through the other threads now though to get an idea....

Sharmagilr
Not necessarily. As you were accompanying your spouse a Canadian citizen outside of Canada it very likely that you maintained your PR status.
See:

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application
(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

And here is what the regs state.
Accompanying outside Canada

(4) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(ii) and (iv) of the Act and this section, a permanent resident is accompanying outside Canada a Canadian citizen or another permanent resident -- who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent -- on each day that the permanent resident is ordinarily residing with the Canadian citizen or the other permanent resident.

Compliance

(5) For the purposes of subparagraph 28(2)(a)(iv) of the Act, a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation as long as the permanent resident they are accompanying complies with their residency obligation.

So to cover your basis all you need to do is obtain a travel doc. from CHC London and off you go.

PMM
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM

So to cover your basis all you need to do is obtain a travel doc. from CHC London and off you go.

PMM
WoW! Hope this is right!

Lucky You!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Not necessarily. As you were accompanying your spouse a Canadian citizen outside of Canada it very likely that you maintained your PR status.
See:

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application
(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

And here is what the regs state.
Accompanying outside Canada

(4) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(ii) and (iv) of the Act and this section, a permanent resident is accompanying outside Canada a Canadian citizen or another permanent resident -- who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent -- on each day that the permanent resident is ordinarily residing with the Canadian citizen or the other permanent resident.

Compliance

(5) For the purposes of subparagraph 28(2)(a)(iv) of the Act, a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation as long as the permanent resident they are accompanying complies with their residency obligation.

PMM
Thank-you PMM!!

I called immigration and they confirmed it!! so my life has just gotten a hell of a lot easier. Your input has been invaluable. I can't wait till this evening when I can call my mom in ontario and tell her the good news.

Sharmgirl
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:17 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Thanks in advance!!

Sharmagirl

Sharmgirl

I am in the same position, was a landed immigrant but been back in the UK for 5 years. All you need to do (this is for you, I don't know about your son) is apply for a Travel document http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/return/e_return.htm

You have been out of the country but you are married to a Canadian (as I am), this is regarded as being a resident in Canada and as such you have no problems. The Travel card costs $50 and I got mine in my passport in 2 weeks (I was very surprised). Hope this helps
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, your PR status may well still be valid. Apply for a Travel Document to evidence this, when you get to Canada apply for the PR Card.

Your son should be Canadian by descent - get him a Canadian citizenship card and passport. Was your husband born or naturalised in Canada?

When you get back to Canada you will have to 'redo' the waiting period before you can apply for Canadian citizenship. You would have found things easier had you taken citizenship last time.

And as for your husband, has he got British citizenship and if not, has he thought of applying for naturalisation before leaving the UK?

Jeremy
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:18 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nivlad
I am in the same position, was a landed immigrant but been back in the UK for 5 years. All you need to do (this is for you, I don't know about your son) is apply for a Travel document http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/return/e_return.htm

Hey Nivlad

You have been out of the country but you are married to a Canadian (as I am), this is regarded as being a resident in Canada and as such you have no problems. The Travel card costs $50 and I got mine in my passport in 2 weeks (I was very surprised). Hope this helps
You and I look somewhat alike, could we be related and I get extra 5 points for Family in Canada???
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:00 am
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mhhp
You and I look somewhat alike, could we be related and I get extra 5 points for Family in Canada???

why you little.....Doh