Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Weekend in the US, while waiting for PR

Weekend in the US, while waiting for PR

Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:12 am
Just Joined

dedoune is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Weekend in the US, while waiting for PR

Hi all,

I know we are not supposed to leave Canada while waiting for PR (11 months wait, our feet are getting itchy) but do any of you know if there will be any problem crossing to the states (by car or bus) and coming back in Canada (just a weekend in NYC) ? If my Aussie husband has a valid visa to be here now, they should let him reenter, no? Will the custom agents know we are applying for PR if we don't tell them? Thanks for the advice, I really want to go but I also don't want to get stuck there :scared:

dedoune
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:06 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Weekend in the US, while waiting for PR

If for any reason he is denied re-admission to Canada then his inland application will be deemed abandoned and case will be closed. Is a weekend in NYC worth the risk?

Originally Posted by dedoune
Hi all,

I know we are not supposed to leave Canada while waiting for PR (11 months wait, our feet are getting itchy) but do any of you know if there will be any problem crossing to the states (by car or bus) and coming back in Canada (just a weekend in NYC) ? If my Aussie husband has a valid visa to be here now, they should let him reenter, no? Will the custom agents know we are applying for PR if we don't tell them? Thanks for the advice, I really want to go but I also don't want to get stuck there :scared:

dedoune
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:30 am
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a simliar question a week ago and got no answer.
I have a work permit here, so i can enter and leave the country and return as long as my permit is still valid.

If i go for spousal sponsorship from within whikst my permit is still valid, does this mean i can no longer leave and come back? I can't see why not, but these things are above me, anyone know?

I want to go to Vegas for new year
Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:14 am

Work Permit is not a visa and as it is clearly printed it states that it is not valid for re-entry to Canada. Admission may be denied for any valid reason, despite having valid visa (or being from visa waiver country) and/or valid work/study permit. Every re-entry means asking for new admission and such may or may not be granted.

Of course there is not a big risk for those from visa waiver countries or with valid visa - but risk is there neverless.

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
I posted a simliar question a week ago and got no answer.
I have a work permit here, so i can enter and leave the country and return as long as my permit is still valid.

If i go for spousal sponsorship from within whikst my permit is still valid, does this mean i can no longer leave and come back? I can't see why not, but these things are above me, anyone know?

I want to go to Vegas for new year
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:23 pm
Banned

So according to this on the cic site:

May I leave, then re-enter Canada?
In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid work permit if you are returning to work in Canada.

If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return, unless:

you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St.-Pierre and Miquelon; and
you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.
Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.

And the fact that I am from UK visa waiver country, because I am going to the states and coming back in less than a week, although they can deny me if they want to the chances are slim right?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:20 pm

Read again what you just quoted:

-----------------
Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.
-----------------

Being a declared immigrant by having PR application pending may be a cause for refusal of admission as per IRPA and Regulations - rare in case of visa waiver countries, but it happens quite few times each year. So, risk is there and should be considered.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:26 am
Banned

Right, so it would be best for me to go to Vegas at new year and then start my spousal sponsorship after I come back.

That way I would have no PR application in process and less likely of a refusal