Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Are We In A Heap Of Trouble PMM or Mr Miller ???

Are We In A Heap Of Trouble PMM or Mr Miller ???

Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough
Red face Are We In A Heap Of Trouble PMM or Mr Miller ???

Hi Guys,

Here's the deal. We were told we could come as tourists and my wifes citizenship papers should be ready to be sent to us here in Canada during that time. This would allow us to stay and my wife sponsor me to be able to work.

When we arrived as tourists, we put on our visa that we filled in on the plane and handed to immigration, that we were only planning to stay 60 days. That took us up to October 25th. We are actually staying for the 6 months allowed as tourists. There was no leave date stamped into our passport on entry to Canada.

We now plan to try to get an extension to our 6 month stay. Have we broken any laws by staying longer than the 60 days declared on entry, even though our passport wasn't stamped with a leave date? Were we supposed to tell immigration that we were planning to stay past our 60 day visit before the 60 days were up, even though we can technically stay for 6 months? What I mean is, when you fill in the visa on the plane, and say you intend to stay for 60 days, is that time frame set in stone, or just a approximate guide, and you can legally stay up to 6 months if you wish, without informing anyone?

I'm beginning to think we may have cause4d ourselves some problems. We told immigration on entry that the purpose of our visit was pleasure and to help my mum in law to move house. Whilst this is true, we are also here awaiting the citizenship papers.

Any ideas as to whether we have goofed up, or are we in the clear to just apply for the extension??

I'm confused by all the in's and out's of the whole process.

Steve

Last edited by Squizzer; Nov 5th 2004 at 7:54 am.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:17 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are We In A Heap Of Trouble PMM or Mr Miller ???

No, you didn't break any law yet - if no date was written next to admission stamp then you were admitted for 6 months.

You may apply for extension of course (about 8 weeks before 6 months run out), but make sure that this time you put the truth in application form - if you won't tell the truth (that you are waiting for your spouses citizenship and after that you want to be sponsored inland) then you will not be eligible to be sponsored from within Canada.

It is a "catch 22" situation now - once you tell the truth CIC may decide not to extend your temporary stay and if you won't tell the truth you won't be eligible for inland process.

The lesson? Don't ever try to "outsmart" the system and always tell the truth. You have no idea how much you can gain by telling the truth.

Originally Posted by Squizzer
Hi Guys,

Here's the deal. We were told we could come as tourists and my wifes citizenship papers should be ready to be sent to us here in Canada during that time. This would allow us to stay and my wife sponsor me to be able to work.

When we arrived as tourists, we put on our visa that we filled in on the plane and handed to immigration, that we were only planning to stay 60 days. That took us up to October 25th. We are actually staying for the 6 months allowed as tourists. There was no leave date stamped into our passport on entry to Canada.

We now plan to try to get an extension to our 6 month stay. Have we broken any laws by staying longer than the 60 days declared on entry, even though our passport wasn't stamped with a leave date? Were we supposed to tell immigration that we were planning to stay past our 60 day visit before the 60 days were up, even though we can technically stay for 6 months? What I mean is, when you fill in the visa on the plane, and say you intend to stay for 60 days, is that time frame set in stone, or just a approximate guide, and you can legally stay up to 6 months if you wish, without informing anyone?

I'm beginning to think we may have cause4d ourselves some problems. We told immigration on entry that the purpose of our visit was pleasure and to help my mum in law to move house. Whilst this is true, we are also here awaiting the citizenship papers.

Any ideas as to whether we have goofed up, or are we in the clear to just apply for the extension??

I'm confused by all the in's and out's of the whole process.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are We In A Heap Of Trouble PMM or Mr Miller ???

Thanks again for your wisdom Mr Miller.

It's a weight off knowing we haven't done anything wrong. Will certainly be telling the truth when apply for extension. Come too far to risk losing it all now.

You have been a great help. Thank You.

Steve