Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Old Sep 10th 2018, 12:12 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've dealt with them numerous times over the years. They've always been ok IME. To be fair to WES, you did send them something which CIC say on their website you can't get assessed by WES for ECA purposes! Hence why I thought your comment was a little unfair.
I agree somewhat but that was for the wife's degree. My degrees took longer than normal also. Luckily my university was able to deal with the matter several times after they rejected the transcripts for some silly reason. Again, several phone calls and emails plus they had a lot of site issues so not a good service for me.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've finally recieved my qualifications back from WES. (after my balls up)

Both BTEC & HND have come back as 2 years each So we now have to set our sites on getting a job and LIMA.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 8:46 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
Well I've finally recieved my qualifications back from WES. (after my balls up)

Both BTEC & HND have come back as 2 years each So we now have to set our sites on getting a job and LIMA.
That's a shame but at least you know where you stand now. Just analyse and rebuild on how you want to proceed.

Searching and applying for jobs tend to be quite awkward. I've applied for around 50 jobs so far and not had even an acknowledgement! Looking at the other threads it seems to be an 'old boy' network of who you know (wink, wink!). Frustrating to say the least!

How did you get on with your IELTS and what score are you on in the EE pool (CRS)?
Old Oct 10th 2018, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

We haven't done our IELTS, (didn't want to spend loads of money at once) but expect to get top scores (both being native english speakers and taken the practice tests and getting top scores) so that's not a problem. But our score is only 395 as neither have worked or lived in canada before
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:07 am
Knight of Constantinople

I've come across another option for myself that may suit your needs also.

My wife is planning to study dentistry in Vancouver. She is eligible for a study permit from what I have read which is supposedly far easier to get than the current EE point threshold. I am pondering this as a last resort but my score being 439 it seems I am just on the cusp of being invited. I'm going to wait until December to see if the points drop in the invitation rounds or ask her (nicely!) to re-do the test in early December. She needs a minimum average of 7 bands across the board which will boost our CRS total to 445. After that its in hands of the gods/goddesses!
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

yeah I've looked at that option, but the course that I would study is like $20k.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:54 am
Knight of Constantinople

yeah I've looked at that option, but the course that I would study is like $20k.
I think you can get a student loan. I'm going to look into it today once the Canadians are awake.

I had an email from the college she plans to study at to discuss where we are at now and what options they have.

I would like to go through the EE route as we will get PR straight away. The student option means we have to wait 2 years to apply for PR and then another 2-3 for citizenship.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I would like to go through the EE route as we will get PR straight away. The student option means we have to wait 2 years to apply for PR and then another 2-3 for citizenship.
Not sure where you're reading that, but there's no minimum wait period for applying for PR with a study permit. If you're eligible, you can apply straight away.

HTH.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:01 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure where you're reading that, but there's no minimum wait period for applying for PR with a study permit. If you're eligible, you can apply straight away.

HTH.
I can't remember where I read it. I think I've read too much over the past year.

If I'm wrong then I hold my hands up!
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Well I suppose I could look more into the student visa. It's definately one way to go. Just need to decide what I want to learn.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:10 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Well I suppose I could look more into the student visa. It's definately one way to go. Just need to decide what I want to learn.
How about Trump University - The Art of Making the Deal!!
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

LOL, I'm all good thanks
Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I think you can get a student loan. I'm going to look into it today once the Canadians are awake.

I had an email from the college she plans to study at to discuss where we are at now and what options they have.

You would be highly unlikely to get a student loan as an international student.
https://studentaidbc.ca/policy-and-p...nt-eligibility
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-canada.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...on/grants.html

As an aside, it would be far easier and cheaper for your spouse to retake the IELTS - then your points would likely get you an invitation! Once you have PR she could still attend Uni/college to train to be a dentist if she wants to - but at resident prices instead of international student rates! Something else to consider is you will have to show proof of having the funds to support yourselves and pay the fees for a minimum of 1 year. It won't be cheap.. and the Vancouver rental market is expensive.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 10th 2018 at 7:34 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:31 am
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You would be highly unlikely to get a student loan as an international student.
https://studentaidbc.ca/policy-and-p...nt-eligibility
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-canada.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...on/grants.html

As an aside, it would be far easier and cheaper for your spouse to retake the IELTS - then your points would likely get you an invitation! Once you have PR she could still attend Uni/college to train to be a dentist if she wants to - but at resident prices instead of international student rates! Something else to consider is you will have to show proof of having the funds to support yourselves and pay the fees for a minimum of 1 year. It won't be cheap.. and the Vancouver rental market is expensive.
Hi Siouxie,

Yes, I agree. The IELTS is the best and cheapest option so far. The wife is scoring a lot higher on her practice papers now which is quite a relief.

Luckily I have the funds to cover all the related costs. I just want to ensure we can get through on the PR status via EE rather than the student visa option as you mentioned, the fees are far much higher as an international student. Just in a little bit of limbo at the moment waiting.

I've done a few reconnaissance trips to Vancouver over the past 8 years. The first and second were for 6 weeks each to see how well we settled in and to familiarise with the local area. Luckily I have a brother in law we will be staying with for the first few years (all expenses on him as he's a dentist living alone! yay). I've made quite a lot of friends over the trips also and found a lot of people we know. It's a small world afterall!

Just trying to get through the EE roller-coaster and the moment so, it's one hurdle at a time!