Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:44 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Originally Posted by neneromanova
I haven't done the IELTS yet as we're waiting to see what Hubbys certificates come back as, as if they come back rubbish, then with 395 we have to really think about the next best way to go about doing PR. Funnily enough, if Hubbys score comes back as only 2 post secondary, I'll have more points than him with 404 due to my age.

It's just a lot of money to lose if we don't get the right score. I know we should just say F it and just go for it. We also have to think about proof of funds as we're cash poor but property "rich" and all our money is tied up in our house so we're now saving like mad people trying to get to £15k($26k) but if we can't, we'll have to sell the house to release the funds but obviously that means moving twice and then if we sell the house and don't get PR, that will screw us.
I'm sure you can use the 'liquid cash' in the house as collateral. When you show proof of funds you should be able to use the yearly mortgage statement to show the liquidity. Maybe the MOD's will be able to give a better answer than me on that part.

I'm lucky enough to able to have the savings in place to show the liquid cash for that part.

As crofty82 paraphrased, the road through EE is a roller coaster. I seem to be scoring highly but I'm still unsure as I've not got my ITA. If I get my ITA then its the medicals. I hope I'm healthy!! Then its the processing of the complete application and hope that everything goes okay. Then the Biometrics which we have to travel to central London (I hate London!). After all that it's awaiting the IMM 1000 form from the Canadian Government.

Late last year I did the IELTS test and scored well except for my reading which I got a paltry 6.0. Upon doing the Cambridge practice papers I was able to see where the issue lied and improved the result on my next test date in April. I was lucky to score (Speaking 9, Listening 8.5, Reading 8 and Writing 9). The test is not easy but gets better with time and practice. The cost is quite high also as it stood me 165.00 GBP each test I did with one for the wife also. After the second test my CRS score went from 381 to 444, The only down side is me being a old git!!

Luckily I found this site and able to get some real good information and help with people in the same 'boat/hopefully airplane' as me and great MOD's!
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

What we accept as proof

Funds must be readily available to you. For example, you can't use equity on real property as proof of settlement funds.The funds must be available both when you apply and when (if) we issue you a permanent resident visa. You must prove to an immigration officer that you can legally access them to use to settle here when you arrive. For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you are keeping money.

Letter(s) must:
  • be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • include your name
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include, for each current bank and investment account:
    • account numbers
    • the date each account was opened
    • the current balance of each account
    • the average balance for the past six months
This is on their website
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G0ldie
Late last year I did the IELTS test and scored well except for my reading which I got a paltry 6.0. Upon doing the Cambridge practice papers I was able to see where the issue lied and improved the result on my next test date in April. I was lucky to score (Speaking 9, Listening 8.5, Reading 8 and Writing 9). The test is not easy but gets better with time and practice. The cost is quite high also as it stood me 165.00 GBP each test I did with one for the wife also. After the second test my CRS score went from 381 to 444, The only down side is me being a old git!!
Have you got any links to the practice papers please?

Also the reason we score low is due to neither of us working in Canada and also education (Which i'm hoping will be sorted once the ECA comes back. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed)
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:56 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

This is on their website
Yes as neneromanova says you can't use equity in your house as proof of funds; it must be unencumbered, liquid funds in a bank account.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:56 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Also the reason we score low is due to neither of us working in Canada and also education (Which i'm hoping will be sorted once the ECA comes back. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed)
Practice makes perfect!

https://afarinesh.org/category/cambr...mbridge-ielts/

Open the link in google chrome and it will automatically translate the page. The audio is there also.

Dont forget you only need the 'General' IELTS exam papers. There are four papers per booklet. Use only from Cambridge 8 and onwards as I found I went through them all and the latest ones are more in-common to the exams that are now given.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:03 am
Knight of Constantinople

I'm in the same boat again. I have no formal education or work experience in Canada either but you will be able to just get in if you get the right combination of scores.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Yes as neneromanova says you can't use equity in your house as proof of funds; it must be unencumbered, liquid funds in a bank account.
As said, I believe the London visa office used to allow but they have now fallen in line with the other offices. House equity is no longer accepted as proof of funds.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, Which menas we'll have to sell the house before the proof of funds is needed. If they ask for proof of funds, does that normally mean you've been accepted?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Which menas we'll have to sell the house before the proof of funds is needed. If they ask for proof of funds, does that normally mean you've been accepted?
No, not accepted - but it means you've got an ITA, so assuming everything is in order (i.e. you pass the medical, no undeclared criminal convictions etc) and matches up with what you've put on your profile, you should get PR.

You don't need to submit proof of funds when you enter the pool of applicants, only when you get an ITA and actually apply for PR.

HTH.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

That's something at least. We'll just have to save like silly to get to the magic number. lol.

The police will pass with flying colours for us both, and the Medical should be ok as we're both healthy and nothing ever been majorly wrong with us *touches wood*

The next fun thing is the biometric thing I've seen you need to do so that's a trip to london which isn't fun. 5hr bloody journey.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:46 pm
Knight of Constantinople

That's something at least. We'll just have to save like silly to get to the magic number. lol.

The police will pass with flying colours for us both, and the Medical should be ok as we're both healthy and nothing ever been majorly wrong with us *touches wood*

The next fun thing is the biometric thing I've seen you need to do so that's a trip to london which isn't fun. 5hr bloody journey.
I've had a look into the London trip. I've contemplated going by car, train and plane! Still undecided but will pass that hurdle once we get to it. I think it has to be done within 30 days also when you received the letter.

Question for the MOD's: Where do you add children on the EE profile? I did not see any sections for adding when I was updating it yesterday?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

believe the proof of funds is an integral part of your application, so you have to submit it along with all your other supporting evidence in order to be considered. I don't think you can omit it until the point they say everything else is OK. If not part of your application pack, I would imagine they'll just return it as incomplete.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
believe the proof of funds is an integral part of your application, so you have to submit it along with all your other supporting evidence in order to be considered. I don't think you can omit it until the point they say everything else is OK. If not part of your application pack, I would imagine they'll just return it as incomplete.
It's a bit different now - there's no 'application pack', it's all uploaded online, and if every document asked for hasn't been uploaded, your can't submit. No more returning if incomplete, the days of it being sent by post are long gone!

As above, OP wouldn't need proof of funds when applying to enter the EE pool, only when submitting an actual PR app.

HTH.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 4:26 pm
Knight of Constantinople

Angry Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Just checking up on whether you got the IELTS materials?

I've missed two draws this month! Just missed the 8th August draw as I could'nt get my profile updated quick enough and yesterday's draw because my points were 1 point off the CRS score. If my birthday wasn't this week I would have been through!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

We found some practice papers online and have both scored top marks, so we're happy about that. But we're just waiting for WES to do the ECA and see what education Hubby has before we take the IELTS.

But I'm not getting my hopes up with it so it'll more than likely be 2 years uni course. That means hubby will only have 395 points so no where near enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.