Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Old Aug 1st 2018, 7:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which way would you go to get into Canada?

Originally Posted by neneromanova
I've emailed the exam board to see what they say.

I emailed the college and they sent these responses.

I sent this

They Replied

According to Pearson: https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...ification.html
Notification of performance / Certificate of Unit Credit When we receive interim or final results for your programmes, we'll issue all your learners with individual Notifications of Performance or Certificates of Unit Credit.

These will list all units achieved to date, at all centres attended; the title and details of each unit studied at each centre; and the learner's current status.

Learners can use these as evidence of achievement for entry to a further programme, for employment purposes or for transfer to another centre.

I'm not sure if that is sufficient for WES ECA purposes. Hopefully someone who has applied through WES rather than ICES can advise you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 1st 2018 at 7:37 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any point in sorting the BTEC? It's more the HND that is needed isn't it?
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:38 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

The academic transcripts have to be sent directly from the institution, not the exam board.

You will have to send a photocopy of the transcripts and award certificates to WES. They will then just accept or deny them. I would advise looking at their website and see if your credential is accepted. The WES website is not very clear when trying to determine whether your credential can be assessed. I found IQAS a lot easier as they had a lot more information on their website relating to the credentials I hold.

Personally, I did not like the service WES provided but they are a lot quicker then some of the other service providers. I kept calling them every week to try an sort my issue but that rant is on another thread. The WES telephone number is: +1 800 361 6106. You will be able to ring them for free (uses data services) via the 'TextNow' app in the UK (they provide your a local Canadian number for free but have to look at the adverts associated with the app).

Alternatively, use another assessor to see if they will accept you also.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

I've looked on the IQAS site and under the credential comparison it states this:

Higher National Diploma - No standard admission requirements. - 2 years of full-time study or 3 years of part-time study - Generally compares to the completion of a three-year post-secondary Diploma.
So that's good isn't it?

I've just paid so I guess we'll wait and see now.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:42 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked on the IQAS site and under the credential comparison it states this:

So that's good isn't it?

If it matches up with the details given on the site then you just have to sit and wait.

I've looked over the site over the past few months as they are currently in process of assessing my wife's degree. WES gave me the run around for 8 months. IQAS seemed very clear and simple.
It took them a month to acknowledge the transcripts then another month to acknowledge the submission from the university. They email you each time and then take 12 weeks from the date of their second email. I'm coming upto the 12 week mark at the end of August to will check back with you then.

Because of the issues with WES, I've not bothered IQAS for the simple reason it states that any contact can delay your application when I last looked.
Looking now at the contact page (https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-contact.aspx), they have updated a few of the sections.
I've rang them once a when I first sent the documents to them for assessment and the gentleman on the phone advised that they are always running behind!

Last edited by G0ldie; Aug 2nd 2018 at 12:42 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 2:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Higher National Diploma - No standard admission requirements. - 2 years of full-time study or 3 years of part-time study - Generally compares to the completion of a three-year post-secondary Diploma.

So that's good isn't it?

Not necessarily.

https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-immigration-apply.aspx
Old Aug 8th 2018, 9:26 am
Knight of Constantinople

So that's good isn't it?

I've just received the assessment back from IQAS for my wife's credentials. They assessed just has their website advised. A little quicker than expected thank God!

They've sent a scanned pdf copy of the pages and send the physical copy via Fedex. Notably, the assessment is dated 25th July 2018 and I've only received the email on the 7th August 2018 (11.59 pm GMT). It took them awhile to scan and send it!
Old Aug 8th 2018, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

What qualifications did she get assesed and what did they asses them as being?

I was also having a think, I only did 1 year of college, do I need to get those acredited? or even secondary school acredited?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:05 am
Knight of Constantinople

What qualifications did she get assesed and what did they asses them as being?

I was also having a think, I only did 1 year of college, do I need to get those acredited? or even secondary school acredited?
Her's was a Bachelor's Degree that could not be assessed by WES.

If you've done a degree it supersedes the secondary qualification. I was in the same dilemma when I did mine via WES. I've got a BA and a MA (Masters) so got both of them assessed. My college and secondary school stuff I never bothered with. I didn't have to get the BA degree assessed but did it as I got them both from the same institution and was included in the price.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:05 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to get your highest level of education assessed, as you won't get points for anything less.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Yeah but it's $280 for about 3 points for me as we'll using hubby as the main application. It's not really worth it is it? My highest level is just AS levels so nothing amazing
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:20 am
Knight of Constantinople

Yeah but it's $280 for about 3 points for me as we'll using hubby as the main application. It's not really worth it is it? My highest level is just AS levels so nothing amazing
To be honest 3 points can be the difference between getting an ITA or not. Looking at all the recent draws they are around the 442 mark. I was on 436 without the IQAS assessment. That is now 444 which just tips me over the mark and hopefully get an ITA on the next draw (fingers and toes and everything else crossed!!!).

It's entirely your choice whether to get the assessment done or not but if it helps and within budget then I would do so. Just consider the timeframe's by analysing each assessor and the services they provide. It would be worth calling them and explaining the qualification that you have and see if they are able to assess it if you are having any doubts.

I printed off all the draws since inception and did my own comparison analysis. There is also a site with those details, (https://moving2canada.com/express-entry-draw/) look about three-quarters down on that page and it will show all the details for recent draws. The draws are always fluctuating but have increased slowly. The Immigration minister (Mr. Hussein) produces a report every year about the programs and figures. It is worth a read as the system has changed a lot since the last conservative government with Mr. Kenney as the minister in them days. After going through all that data I've concluded its just the luck of the draw. I'm thinking it will drop on the coming months but we will just have to wait and see.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed for you. And fingers crossed the score drops as well!!
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:30 am
Knight of Constantinople

Fingers crossed for you. And fingers crossed the score drops as well!!
The immigration report is due in November this year. It should show what the government has done over the last year looking at the recent ramping up of bringing people via EE (average of 3750 per recent draw) they are looking to make the figures favorable for them. The last report was a little skewed and lacked any real substance for me. The focus seemed to be on gender based analysis and other stuff. There were links to the real data but they were links only. After reading 20 pages you tend to turn off anyway!
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's 2 points for secondary education. Whether or not it's worth it will depend on how borderline you are - say for example you're scoring 440 and the next few draws are 441 and higher, you'd kick yourself if you'd missed out! But if you're only scoring 420 then it's not like to make any difference so I'd put the money towards a job hunting trip personally.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.